Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

When you get the drive, format to APFS. This is required to get the drive to appear in CCC.

Make a CCC task and for Source choose your existing installation.

For Destination choose the drive and Legacy Bootable Backup Assistant. This will prompt to erase the new drive which is required. CCC will engage Apple's APFS Replication Utility which will clone the entire source installation to the destination, while arranging the Signed System Volume (SSV) which Apple requires. Only Apple's utility has the capability to handle the crypto.

The clone operation will proceed. If it fails with an obscure error, this is a sign that there are hard errors on the source drive. The APFS Replication Utility cannot tolerate any I/O error as it imperils the crypto for the SSV. If this unlikely even occurs, you will need to reinstall macOS on the destination and use Migration Assistant.

Once the clone is done, you need to add your OC config to the EFI folder on the new drive, assuming you want an all-in-one installation.

Best to you

Thanks @c-o-pr really appreciate your answer.

Hello all. I have a Designare Z390 system with i7-8700k and Sapphire RX580 running OC 066 and Big Sur 11.6.2 and this system has been rock solid for almost a year (thanks CaseySJ!) until I had to move. After the move, every so often, especially after a wake from sleep the system fails to turn on the screen and after a few minutes it crashes. I know there a few minutes because I'm able to remote login for a while but then it finally crashes. The log says:

2022-03-05 10:31:46 -0300 Failure Failure during wake: PEG0() : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState

To be honest, not sure if the shaking during the move caused the hardware to break - I did pull all the cards (RX580 + Fenvi) and memory modules, and put them back but this failure keeps happening every other day. I can do some upgrade but I'm afraid to go to Monterey because my NVME 970 Evo is likely to give me grief. Any ideas based on the message above what the problem might be? Thanks!

Hello all. I have a Designare Z390 system with i7-8700k and Sapphire RX580 running OC 066 and Big Sur 11.6.2 and this system has been rock solid for almost a year (thanks CaseySJ!) until I had to move. After the move, every so often, especially after a wake from sleep the system fails to turn on the screen and after a few minutes it crashes. I know there a few minutes because I'm able to remote login for a while but then it finally crashes. The log says:

2022-03-05 10:31:46 -0300 Failure Failure during wake: PEG0() : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState

To be honest, not sure if the shaking during the move caused the hardware to break - I did pull all the cards (RX580 + Fenvi) and memory modules, and put them back but this failure keeps happening every other day. I can do some upgrade but I'm afraid to go to Monterey because my NVME 970 Evo is likely to give me grief. Any ideas based on the message above what the problem might be? Thanks!
Hello @telicha,

Couple of questions:
  • Which version of BIOS are you running?
  • Are any USB-C devices connected?

Hello everyone!

I have a couple of these Designare builds that have been running Catalina well for a long time now. Both are starting to develop some problems.

I have one that gives me an error when I try to copy files OFF of the Samsung m.2 boot drive.

this error, specifically: The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code 100083).

There's very little info about this error that I can find. It's my wife's computer and she really filled that drive up and I think it's probably corrupted?

I have now learned that the Samsung drives are bad, which makes me sad because I have 3 of them installed in my 3 hacks.

Just to confirm, does a WD SN850 work well on this motherboard? I know that it's newer generation but it's getting very difficult to find the SN750 in Canada.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks very much, I'm using F9i and no USB-C devices are connected.
It would be good to check that all cables and PCIe cards are securely connected. Power cables should be checked on both sides (on PSU and on motherboard/GPU -- don't forget the GPU).

Hello everyone!

I have a couple of these Designare builds that have been running Catalina well for a long time now. Both are starting to develop some problems.

I have one that gives me an error when I try to copy files OFF of the Samsung m.2 boot drive.

this error, specifically: The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code 100083).

There's very little info about this error that I can find. It's my wife's computer and she really filled that drive up and I think it's probably corrupted?

I have now learned that the Samsung drives are bad, which makes me sad because I have 3 of them installed in my 3 hacks.

Just to confirm, does a WD SN850 work well on this motherboard? I know that it's newer generation but it's getting very difficult to find the SN750 in Canada.

Thanks for your help!
The WD SN850 will work on the Z390 Designare. The SN850 supports PCIe 4.0, but will operate at PCIe 3.0 speeds on Designare.

The WD SN850 will work on the Z390 Designare. The SN850 supports PCIe 4.0, but will operate at PCIe 3.0 speeds on Designare.
Thanks for the super quick answer!

Anyone on here use BigSur 11.6.1 with Adobe Premiere? Having some trouble with the Graphics not showing up but was wondering if thats a software issue or hardware. Thanks!

It would be good to check that all cables and PCIe cards are securely connected. Power cables should be checked on both sides (on PSU and on motherboard/GPU -- don't forget the GPU).
Thanks! I think I found the culprit ... this is the Saphire RX580 Pulse ... notice pin "1" on PCI bus peeled off the contact ... it is amazing that works at all ...

IMG_7949.jpg

Back