- May 15, 2020
- Gigabyte Z390 Designare
- RX 5700 XT
@CaseySJ So both issues I mentioned have been issues since day one as far as I can tell. The system freeze issue occurs any time I play a 4k video (all mkv files, so no QuickTime), though that isn't too often. IGPU is enabled, and my Platform ID is set to 0x3E980003. I happen to have another identical AMD GPU (sapphire pulse 580), so I'll try swapping that out.Hello @kejocu,
Some standard background questions:
- How long was the system running properly (i.e. without this issue)?
- When did this issue first appear?
- How frequently does this it occur?
- Have you tried isolating variables (process of elimination)? Examples would be:
- Playing the same 4K videos using QuickTime Player?
- Checking if IGPU in BIOS is set to Enabled and Platform ID is set to 0x3E980003 (simply run Hackintool and it will show you the current Platform ID in the opening screen).
- Possibly swapping the AMD GPU if you have access to another one.
Hi CaseySJ! Speaking about this: like you maybe recall I have Alpine Ridge unflashed and the ssdt you provided me. I'm very happy with the result (I have Caldigit TS3, it works almost perfect). Do you think I can improve the speed from 20 Gbps to 40 Gbps?Hello Paulo,
Good to hear from you again!
Ready for some bad news? Or maybe just "neutral" news?
Thunderbolt SSDT is not strictly necessary on Mojave or Catalina or Big Sur. The same behavior will occur in all of these operating systems.
Thunderbolt SSDT provides these additional capabilities:
- Hot plug
- Ability to change Bus ID when two or more controllers are present
- Ability to set Link Speed to 40 Gbps instead of 20 Gbps
- Ability to enable Thunderbolt Switch on Port 7 for Titan Ridge and Port 5 for Alpine Ridge
- Target Disk Mode will not work unless Thunderbolt Switch is enabled
- Some Thunderbolt NAS drives such as QNAP also require Thunderbolt Switch
this is my configuration in bios. any ideas??
thanks in advance
Do you think Pin 3 and 5 jumper force power can work ??
I have connected tb header
Hello @StefanAM,Hi CaseySJ! Speaking about this: like you maybe recall I have Alpine Ridge unflashed and the ssdt you provided me. I'm very happy with the result (I have Caldigit TS3, it works almost perfect). Do you think I can improve the speed from 20 Gbps to 40 Gbps?
Thunderbolt Boot Support enabled or disabled, only...
Nope! Is TB3. I suspect the cable. Maybe too long...........
That's very possible. Passive Thunderbolt 3 cables are only about 0.5m long. To support full 40 Gbps speed over longer cables, a repeater chip is built into each end of the cable, which increases the cable's price. So we must specifically purchase a cable that supports 40 Gbps.Nope! Is TB3. I suspect the cable. Maybe too long...........