Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

the tweak town link for f9g does not seem to work for me, just says invalid page url, anywhere I can get it and is it just like a normal bios update?

Because you're using EmuVariableUefi, it should be deleted if CFG-Lock is disabled (i.e. MSR 0xE2 is disabled). In general, however, we try to avoid EmuVariableUefi in combination with FwRuntimeServices.

So yes, please upgrade to F9g in which CFG-Lock is already disabled by default. There is good long-term benefit to using F9g. BIOS parameters must be configured again after the update, always starting with Save & Exit --> Load Optimized Defaults.

Then we can bring your CLOVER folder up to date with some simple changes:
  • Make a full bootable backup of the current disk
  • Then mount EFI partition of the main macOS SSD and:
    • Delete EmuVariableUEFI
    • Replace OcQuirks.efi / OcQuirks.plist / FwRuntimeServices.efi with the three file in the ZIP attached here
    • Edit config.plist using Clover Configurator and uncheck these two flags:
  • View attachment 481455
So I've completed these steps. So far it seems to be all working. I've yet to check if the issue is solved when I start on Linux flash drive. Will keep you posted on this.
With these files updated, does it mean I can update OS X freely, or is this still possible only to Opencore users? Again thanks a lot for all your help!

@CaseySJ, @Elias64Fr, @NorthAmTransAm, @joevt
@xanderevo, @xanderevo, @buddhaburger, @logritm, @NoiseCoalition

Hey guys! First of all, thank you and everybody else who contributed to this in order to get these great achievements!!

My system, especially the UAD TB3 connection and audio performance improved drastically.

However, I'm having a little issue here. I'm getting a crash with the UAD driver on coldboot
on using this 3. GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-NVM21-V3-NATA.bin.

I didn't try these yet:
1. GC-ALPINE RIDGE-NVM20-V1-Elias64Fr.bin
2. GC-ALPINE RIDGE-NVM20-V2-Elias64Fr.bin

After the coldbootcrash, the hacki boots up fine, UAD devices are there and work fine.
Hotplug is possible without an issue (so far). using DP via Alpine Ridge to monitor -> not getting a video signal. I didn't try USB3.1 on the Alpine Ridge yet.

My config is:
Clover 4630 (hesitating to update as I had trouble some time ago and system works so far)
Z370 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming
Apollo hexa x8 TB3 -> port 1 > Alpine Ridge (PCI slot 4, pins 1+3 bridged)
Apollo quad satellite TB3 daisy chained to the x8
Apollo quad pci card

I attached the crash log, with Thunderbolt & PCI system screenshots & stripped down Clover stuff.

It would be fantastic, if you could have a look into this.

Thanks so much! xx

Attachments

• coldbootcrash.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 55
  • thunderbolt dev tree.png
    thunderbolt dev tree.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 52
  • pci.png
    pci.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 53
  • uad.png
    uad.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 54
  • ioreg_explorer_port5.png
    ioreg_explorer_port5.png
    158.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
the tweak town link for f9g does not seem to work for me, just says invalid page url, anywhere I can get it and is it just like a normal bios update?
Well, here it is:

HackinDROM has been updated!

Now its possible to directly Download a .dsl file of your fresh new generated SSDT with custom file name.
Note: the default file name is "SSDT-TB3-" + PCI root port + Slot Number.
"-HackinDROM" is automatically added to the custom name, you can delete it if you want once downloaded.
Capture d’écran 2020-07-23 à 18.05.28.png

Also note that Asus ThunderboltEX 3 is a PCIe card so it should be moved in the right section as shown:
Fixed, thanks Sir!
Please note that Thunderbolt DROM should be listed as shown below (see the red box). Under Port Definitions/Flags, the first byte is the length of that row (including itself).
In the next update

HackinDROM has been updated!

Now its possible to directly Download a .dsl file of your fresh new generated SSDT with custom file name.
Note: the default file name is "SSDT-TB3-" + PCI root port + Slot Number.
"-HackinDROM" is automatically added to the custom name, you can delete it if you want once downloaded.
View attachment 481468

Fixed, thanks Sir!

In the next update
This is getting better and better!

@CaseySJ ok i am on bios f9g now, 1080 is out of the machine, my install catalina flash drive has the igpu config.plist and im getting the black screen part way through the loading bar under the apple logo, what do i do?

@CaseySJ ok i am on bios f9g now, 1080 is out of the machine, my install catalina flash drive has the igpu config.plist and im getting the black screen part way through the loading bar under the apple logo, what do i do?
Are you using the HDMI port? Unfortunately that port no longer works in Catalina. We use USB-C to DisplayPort cables instead, but an AMD GPU is much preferred.

I posted this on the Z490 Vision D thread this morning, and now it seems I should do the same on Z390 Designare. Using the iGPU with Catalina -- in my view -- is no longer viable. Various applications, for example, will crash on load such as Final Cut Pro, iMovie, ACDSee Photo Editor for Mac, etc.

I actually have one of those, so just pop it in one of the Thunderbolt ports, and I'm good?

Back