Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi,

I'm a hackintosh newbie. Tried following the instruction given here for a fresh catalina installation - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-1729#post-2092711

My HDMI stopped working after selecting to install Mac OS from the clover menu. Used a Displayport to USB-C cable, and this is all I could see. I managed to complete the installation with such a display output.

Could someone please tell me how to fix this?

My hackintosh spec is:
Intel Core i7 - 9600K
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
Integrated Graphics

Please let me know if I need to provide any other information.

How do I get my HDMI port working?

Thanks.

20200628_185525.jpg

Last edited:
on board HDMI has some issues with 10.15.5 if I remember correctly.
I thought USB-C to DP should be used with Discrete GPU DP output to DP-IN on the motherboard. I'm surprised you can even get something displayed...

In BIOS settings, you can the iGPU enabled, right?

Hi,

I'm a hackintosh newbie. Tried following the instruction given here for a fresh catalina installation - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-1729#post-2092711

My HDMI stopped working after selecting to install Mac OS from the clover menu. Used a Displayport to USB-C cable, and this is all I could see. I managed to complete the installation with such a display output.

My hackintosh spec is:
Intel Core i7 - 9600K
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
Integrated Graphics

Hi,

My hackintosh spec is:
Intel Core i7 - 9600K
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
Integrated Graphics

Please let me know if I need to provide any other information.

How do I get my HDMI port working?

Thanks.

View attachment 478359
Hello @BalajiA,

On-board HDMI no longer works in Catalina. Technically, we can still use HDMI port, but without graphics acceleration. This will cause graphics to be very painfully and slowly rendered on screen.

Because you're using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, I assume you've set Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007?

Feel free to compress and upload your CLOVER folder, but remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist before uploading.

CC: @mobi , @ziggenpuss , @jleahy2 , @brousseau6933 , @bmoney and @CaseySJ

So... Good news and bad news. The bad news is that I'm still experiencing USB freezes (damn it). The good news is that - so far - the PCIe cards are unaffected by the freezes, which I think points to the motherboard chipset being the problem. I haven't as yet plugged in the USB 3.0 hub that I thought might have been the issue, so I'll try that at some point.

This is my current USB setup, which I'll run with for a while to see whether I can break it:

PCIEX8 - Inateck 2 Port PCIe USB 3.0 Express Card with Internal USB 3.0 20-PIN Connector
-> internal header connected to Fenvi Bluetooth via USB3->USB2 internal cable
-> RME Fireface UC
-> Studiologic SL88

PCIEX1_2 - Fenvi 1200M

PCIEX4 - Sedna PCIe USB 3.1 Gen I (5Gbps) 4 Port Adapter
-> Apple Keyboard
-> Logitech Unifying Receiver
-> Dell U2515H USB 3.0 hub
-> iLok
-> Stream Deck
-> eLicenser
-> RME Arc
-> Generic USB 3.0 hub

The reason why I've added two PCIe USB cards is partly to test them both, and partly because I started with the Inateck card but was only able to get USB 2 speeds from it. USB 3.x devices would connect correctly, but would report as "Up to 480Mb/s" in SysInfo, and would transfer (in the case of an SSD) at that speed. The Sedna card works perfectly at USB 3.1 as far as I can tell. I'd take the other card out, but I want to keep the Fenvi Bluetooth working, so the internal header is useful.

I have the PCIE x4 Switch set to "CPU" as per @CaseySJ 's suggestion.

I also have a CalDigit TB3 dock, but I'm really hoping I can return that...

More posts as I use the machine and gather more information.

That's a great reply, thank you so much and good to know, I wanted to make sure before spending $$$ ;)
So i was able to FIX this, the problem was about missing a clover update so when I moved the HD to the new machine (Z390) it didn't run, now everything is working.
The only major issue I am having right now is about the Thunderbolt connected with UAD Twin, sometimes I miss the connection and to reestablish the thunderbolt connection I need to restart my computer.
I know there are some fix for this and I am gonna search around, if you guys have any suggestion is welcome.
  • How long was the system running properly on Sierra?
  • What has changed now?
    • New Clover?
    • New kexts?
  • Please post photo of the 'screen codes', but remove EXIF information and resize the photo so it's less than 700KB.
So i was able to FIX this, the problem was about missing a clover update so when I moved the HD to the new machine (Z390) it didn't run, now everything is working.
The only major issue I am having right now is about the Thunderbolt connection with UAD Twin, sometimes the connection fails and to reestablish the thunderbolt connection I need to restart my computer.
I know there are some fix for this and I am gonna search around, if you guys have any suggestion is welcome.

Do all of you having troubles are running a Fenvi BT/WiFi?

@kellymac12 , I’m worried as I will use a Logitech mouse and an Apple wired keyboard. Is yours the BT variety?

Thanks,

Patrice

Interesting. I'm really starting to wonder if there is a correlation between iLok keys/software and the USB issue.

I don't know if it's still relevant, but there is mention on the internet of iLok software modifying the OSX USB Driver and causing problems in the older 2013 Mac Pros. Reading that makes me wonder if they're still doing something like that today when their software is installed.

How about you @brousseau6933 ? Do you use anything related to iLok?
I have always had a 3rd gen iLok plugged into my hackintosh since I built it and have never had any USB freezes that you folks are having. I run a Apogee Symphony Mk2 thunderbolt using the Apple adapter. I am running Clover 5114. Gigabyte bios F6. Never had sleep enabled or bluetooth or WIFI on any of my studio machines. Hope this helps.

hello
got my parts tomorow ready for my hopefully mojave 10.14.6 hacki
Designare Z390
i9 9900k
32gb 3200 ram
PowerColor Vega56
FractalDesign Meshify S2 case
Crucial Design P1 m.2 1tb (coming tomorow so i can start)
TB allready flashed with pi3B (can test UAD Apollo Twin with TB1 and Lacie 2big with TB1)

the vega 56 is on the 2nd pcie slot because i got the noctua nh d15 and this big thing is blocking my first slot,
will upgrade in 1-2months to the nh d15S which should make room for the 1st slot.

with that gpu problem and the meshify case (can i use the fractal designe r6 files for it ?) are there some things to consider to keep problems away ?

thx in advance
hope to post a success post here soon

Back