Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Could be a solution. I have old PCIe (two of them) USB3 first gen cards. I know that I have to install GenericUSBXHCI kext to make them work however. It's not the case for the Sonnet?
@jleahy2 @bmoney I think Asmedia chipsets are natively supported by macOS - @CaseySJ will be better placed to confirm or deny. Inateck, ULANSEN and Sedna cards on Amazon profess to be compatible with MacPro5,1. I've ordered two and a TB dock - will try the PCIe cards first, and see how I get on, and then go for the TB dock as a last resort...
My Orico PCIe card is based on Asmedia 1142, natively supported by MacOS. Only downside is that it reports correct 10gb/s if I boot Windows first but after sleep, it indicates 5gb/s. Only aesthetic as the speeds remains the same (T5 tested at around 500/0500).

In the case USB is troublesome, I could order an USB3 first gen Asmedia chipset card.

Thanks,

Patrice

(If that's a solution)
Sure, I would prefer to not have any USB problems... Shoud I pull the trigger or not, that's my dilemma and the only way to know for sure is to experiment it!

@bmoney : is your iGPU disabled? Onboard ALC sound disabled? Using which SMBIOS?

Thanks,

Patrice

I've not encountered actual USB audio dropouts since High Sierra. However, back then, I also had a USB Audio Interface, so, that makes sense. I switched over to a thunderbolt audio interface because of that issue, and I've never actually had an audio-dropout since. *However*... I absolutely still do incur random USB dropouts. Due to my audio interface being thunderbolt, it doesn't drop out, but keyboard, mouse, etc do until I reboot. It seems to happen way less frequently for me than it does for other people on here. I can go days at a time without seeing the issue, however, others on here I've noticed have the issue happen nearly constantly.

There is surely a common point somewhere for those that suffers this USB bug... iLok, something else?

Are all of you using the onbioard sound? Onboard iGPU? Which SMBIOS?

Thanks,

Patrice

I have the following Inatek 4-port USB 3 PCIe card in my 2008 Mac Pro

Same here, can't recall any issues with it in my macpro 3.1, besides having to use a powered hub for 2.5 HD

Sure, I would prefer to not have any USB problems... Shoud I pull the trigger or not, that's my dilemma and the only way to know for sure is to experiment it!
That's the spirit! as long you don't have clients breathing down your neck which is sadly unlikely in these times. I will say my machine is running windows beautifully (which is making it a lot less ugly). It would be VERY interesting to pinpoint the problem to the iLok. Is anyone freezing without an iLok??

Hi. No, iGPU is on and iMac19,1 as per the FCP going the extra mile suggestion. Sound is on.
Thanks. Which BIOS version? Maybe onboard sound is causing conflicts but other people should have the same problem then...

Someone with F9g, iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS, disabled iGPU, disabled onboard sound, using USB audio interface and running Mojave suffering from USB issues?

If nobody answers or confirm that those setting are USB bug free, it could mean that one of these variables is maybe the culprit. Hoping at least...

Patrice

That's the spirit! as long you don't have clients breathing down your neck which is sadly unlikely in these times. I will say my machine is running windows beautifully (which is making it a lot less ugly). It would be VERY interesting to pinpoint the problem to the iLok. Is anyone freezing without an iLok??
No clients, just doing music at home for fun beside my day job as a music teacher. However, I would like to help pinpoint the culprit as it could make everyone happier... and I could finally go on with my decision (selfish!).

Back