Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I flashed my BIOS to F9a from F6a. I then unlocked the MSR 0xE2 register. I'm going down the path of fresh install with Time Machine backup restoration. Edit: Updated BIOS settings per the guide. If I boot from the Catalina installer I get this. I feel like I am back in the early days hahaha. I know I will get it resolved. I also attached my EFI folder form the Catalina install disk I created using the mini guide and the May 2020 update zip file.
Does the last line say "Still waiting for root device"? If so, move the USB install disk into another USB port. If it's currently in a black USB 2 port, move it to a blue USB 3 port and vice-versa.

@CaseySJ Do you know any solutions for this?

thanks!
@InsomnIaHackintosh @vicantu

Unfortunately there's not much more I can do with the Thunderbolt SSDT. I was really hoping this would work with most Alpine Ridge systems. On some motherboards our SSDT-TbtOnPCH works at least to some degree (i.e. requires booting without TB devices connected), but on other boards it simply does not function. There's quite a bit of variation between boards.

I would suggest using standard Thunderbolt SSDT (without activating Thunderbolt Bus) or experimenting with flashing the firmware.

Thunderbolt is a complex subject and we're quite handicapped by the lack of technical reference manuals...

Hi @CaseySJ

I was looking for an update on the WiFi driver, but I'm a bit confused where to download the latest kext to work with this procedure.

I see different sources:

Which one should we follow in your opinion? And have you tried one of the latest version?

The one HERE.

It was updated a few days ago. Just be aware, that if you are dual booting Windows, you need to shut down Windows and then physically turn the PC back on again with the power button to boot into Catalina. A warm restart will result in the kext not working, no error messages. A cold restart is needed.

My speeds a short while ago.

Attachments

• wifi.jpg
    wifi.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Does the last line say "Still waiting for root device"? If so, move the USB install disk into another USB port. If it's currently in a black USB 2 port, move it to a blue USB 3 port and vice-versa.
Yea, I get "Can not mount root. Error 19 on every USB port. I'm going to recreate the install Catalina disk and try again. Paying close attention to the clover setup and files.

Jules

Hey all, checking in after a few weeks! This machine has been extremely stable and powerful - has truly been a joy to use!

I may have picked up a small Sleep bug though, and was wondering if others could also try and recreate. It's simple to recreate, these are the steps I've followed.

- Turn on the machine (as in if it's previously been on, turn it off and turn it on again)
- Login normally and start up Apple's own Reminders app (make sure you're using iCloud Reminders)
- Add a reminder with some sort of natural language processing (my example was something like "take out the rubbish TONIGHT" - when you type in tonight, it should highlight in blue and then press enter for it to remind you tonight)
- That's it, leave the Mac

Normally my Mac goes into screen saver after 1 min, plays the screensaver for 2 mins, at which point (now that it's been 3 mins), the Mac goes to sleep. However right now it's been on for around 30 mins and still hasn't gone to sleep.

If others could please try the above I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Such impeccable timing...

Yea, I get "Can not mount root. Error 19 on every USB port. I'm going to recreate the install Catalina disk and try again. Paying close attention to the clover setup and files.

Jules
Well, I recreated the Catalina install USB and got things to the point where at the final booth in to Catalina I get white screens with an HDR notification from the monitor(s) but can't go further. So much fun... hahahah

Well, I recreated the Catalina install USB and got things to the point where at the final booth in to Catalina I get white screens with an HDR notification from the monitor(s) but can't go further. So much fun... hahahah
Because you're not using a NAVI GPU, try removing agdpmod=pikera from Boot Arguments.

Back