Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-working-intel-wifi-drivers-for-7265ac-on-catalina.292207/

This applies to all Intel modules. BT and WiFi also work. I found 2 guides. As I understand, everything is at the testing stage and there are some problems, but it works.

Hello @CaseySJ, I have just ordered a Z390 Designare and a i9 9900k. Before I have a Z170 Designare. For Thunderbolt activation of the Z170 I had installed the Gigabyte drivers in Windows and boot to macOS, and it just works. When I read your great guide, I was afraid by Thunderbolt flashing. It seem so complicated for the newbee I am. So what is your advice for guys as me ? Will Thunderbolt work without flashing (it works on my Z170) or not ? Do I install driver in Windows? Thanks for your time, thanks for your answer. And sorry if this question has already asked.

Works out of the box with some SSDT's. See Post #1 of this thread. No futzing in Windoze necessary. What doesn't work: TB networking. But for most people that's not a big deal.

New Firmware for GIGABYTE GC TITAN RIDGE: NVMe50

NVMe50.JPG

Last edited:
Do you have both macOS and Windows on this system? If so, are the Fenvi/Broadcom drivers installed in Windows? I've found that it's best not to install any Broadcom/Fenvi drivers, but to let Windows use the Intel CNVi module.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I have Windows installed as well, both on (bottom) NVMe and in Parallels Desktop. Never installed the Fenvi drivers on either one, but I'd need to check if Windows perhaps auto updated or installed something.

For now, I've tried removing the Designare aml file that was supplied in the Catalina Mini Guide zip. Replaced it with the Fractal Design file from the 1st post. Will see if that helps. :)

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-working-intel-wifi-drivers-for-7265ac-on-catalina.292207/

this applies to all intel modules. BT and WiFi also work. I found 2 guides.As I understand, everything is at the testing stage and there are some problems, but it works.
Here are two more guides: :) This is very exciting stuff that can not only free up a PCIe slot, but provide faster WiFi and Bluetooth than the Fenvi. These drivers are not completely operational yet, but the progress is promising.

Is there any particular ailment that can be ascribed to using the Fenvi in Windows? And if so, is there a remedy (like a way to reset the card outside of 'resetting the BT module' in macOS)?
Someone recently replaced the Fenvi due to similar issues; the replacement worked properly. However, when you say Bluetooth “occasionally” fails to connect, I wonder if that’s due to signal strength or interference issues. Metal objects in the path of the signal can greatly attenuate the signal.

Although I advised against installing Broadcom/Fenvi drivers in Windows (because Windows will load new firmware to the Bluetooth module and that can cause paired devices in macOs to become unpaired or lose their security keys), testing the card under Windows can help determine whether or not there’s a hardware problem.

Hi,

I got myself a flasher so I can try to flash Thunderbolt 3 cards.
I have an old Asus Thunderbolt EX 3 Rev 1 card to flash.
Also I have an ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC card. Can I extract the firmware and post it here for modification?
Hello @zzmadd, both of those cards contain Alpine Ridge controllers, which means we can use an SSDT to activate Thunderbolt bus without flashing firmware.

However you’re welcome to experiment with flashed firmware. Modified firmware files are already present in the Thunderbolt Firmware Repository (for the Asus ThunderboltEX 3):

On the Designare Z390 Thunderbolt 3 will work just fine with no flashing. You will be able to hot plug Thunderbolt 3 devices. Sleep/wake will also work. Thunderbolt 1 devices, however, will generally not work. But Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt 3 will be okay.

Flashing the firmware takes Thunderbolt to the next level, but this is optional. I would strongly recommend all new owners to stay with the standard firmware. Just follow the build guide for Catalina (or Mojave) and basic Thunderbolt (w/hot plug) will work.
Thank you very much !
I have a little question about my Z170 Designare. I have a light Thunderbolt issue :
TB don't work anytime ! At the first boot on the morning (computer was off during night) TB peripherial don't mount and there is no TB info in PCI info section. I must restart computer to made TB work. And if I need to restart during the day TB work twice on three time. If I shut down computer it is same issue.
Do you have an idea ?

Thank you very much !
I have a little question about my Z170 Designare. I have a light Thunderbolt issue :
TB don't work anytime ! At the first boot on the morning (computer was off during night) TB peripherial don't mount and there is no TB info in PCI info section. I must restart computer to made TB work. And if I need to restart during the day TB work twice on three time. If I shut down computer it is same issue.
Do you have an idea ?
Are you using a Thunderbolt SSDT? Does the BIOS have an option called “GPIO3 Force Pwr”? Is Thunderbolt Security set to either None or Legacy?

Please save and post the IOReg again (using IORegistryExplorer). Link status is not quite right. Are there 2 Thunderbolt ports on the NUC 7?

@CaseySJ

Good morning. The NUC7 only has one TB3 port.

Attached is the latest IORegistryExplorer file.

Attachments

• NUC7-IORE-1.zip
    609 KB · Views: 65
Back