Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Sounds TBROM related to me. Try these SSDT's and report back.

Both my cards say Rev 1.0 so I don't think that correlates to B or C.
Tested with these SSDTs in PCIe4X slot (adapted to my RP17 to maintain the structure: RPXX / PXSX)
No way... (weird...)

Update: Redo proc. and adjusted config. TBus now!

Last edited:
Tested with these SSDTs in PCIe4X slot (adapted to my RP17 to maintain the structure: RPXX / PXSX)
No way... (weird...)

Are you saying it's not working? Definitely double check your bios settings and do an unplug for 30 seconds.

If you look near the top, do you see: CAN ICES-3 ( B )/NMB-3( B )

Yes, but if you use the modified circuit shown here, it should be able to read/write with no trouble.
Thanks @CaseySJ .
I think i need a Raspberry pi... ;)
@NorthAmTransAm -> My card is Rev. B = NVM18 -> tested and no tree... ummmm....

Update: Redo proc. and adjusted config. TBus now!

Last edited:
GA-Z170X-DESIGNARE ALPINE RIDGE FIRMWARE UPDATE:

After reflashing the onboard TB3 controller using Gigabytes TBTFlash app, I reripped the firmware and lo and behold, it appears to be different than the one I originally ripped from the chip in this post. Attached is 3 copies of the new firmware for the GA-Z170X-DESIGNARE board to check/modify.

@CaseySJ @Elias64Fr @NorthAmTransAm if you want to take a look please do!
These three most recent files all have the same checksum so they're identical. All are NVM 16. The earlier post also contains NVM 16, but has a different checksum:
Code:
04afd814e9ad45f5b1ebeb87ee92431ee736a492  GA-Z170X-DESIGNARE-TB3FIRMWAREORIGINAL.bin
54ebf6cc87613d7317056f665b5b2be6cffa9e10  Z170XD-afterwinflash-1.bin
54ebf6cc87613d7317056f665b5b2be6cffa9e10  Z170XD-afterwinflash-2.bin
54ebf6cc87613d7317056f665b5b2be6cffa9e10  Z170XD-afterwinflash-3.bin
Was the first one previously modified? Or do you think it was just a bad 'read' from the chip?

Woah, that means mine is actually a Rev B. That would mean AlpineRidgeEX3NVM26 works on any of the cards...?
In my case neither of them worked ... (18 or 26)
maybe I should program again ...

Update: TBus now! (Redo proc. and adjusted config. with NVM18)

Last edited:
Are you saying it's not working? Definitely double check your bios settings and do an unplug for 30 seconds.
Are there any special settings needed in Bios? (My setting is the same for EXIII and GC-TitanRidge: Withouth TB_Header connected).
Maybe it's a programming issue??
I will test it again tomorrow morning. (Right now I have the original firmware again and my eyes start to get small ...)
Thank you!!

Are there any special settings needed in Bios? (My setting is the same for EXIII and GC-TitanRidge: Withouth TB_Header connected).
Maybe it's a programming issue??
I will test it again tomorrow morning. (Right now I have the original firmware again and my eyes start to get small ...)
Thank you!!
Oh you definitely need the header cable attached!

Please try the version from the repository with header cable attached, and proper bios settings.

Last edited:
These three most recent files all have the same checksum so they're identical. All are NVM 16. The earlier post also contains NVM 16, but has a different checksum:
Code:
04afd814e9ad45f5b1ebeb87ee92431ee736a492  GA-Z170X-DESIGNARE-TB3FIRMWAREORIGINAL.bin
54ebf6cc87613d7317056f665b5b2be6cffa9e10  Z170XD-afterwinflash-1.bin
54ebf6cc87613d7317056f665b5b2be6cffa9e10  Z170XD-afterwinflash-2.bin
54ebf6cc87613d7317056f665b5b2be6cffa9e10  Z170XD-afterwinflash-3.bin
Was the first one previously modified? Or do you think it was just a bad 'read' from the chip?

The first one was most likely what was shipped right from the factory, which was an earlier version of the firmware as to my understanding. The board originally wasn't advertised as having Thunderbolt 3 on-board until about halfway through its lifespan. it became available through a firmware update. The very first board I got has NO mention of TB3 on the box or manual at all. The second and Third ones have stickers placed on the boxes noting the TB3 capabilities.
As @Elias64Fr pointed out that firmware had 2 sections labeled separate thing apparently. Maybe this new rip is different?

Your setup looks perfectly fine. A few questions below. Apologies if I asked them before, it's been a while...
  • Are you using a Firewire PCIe card?
  • Are any devices connected to F_USB header on the motherboard (internal USB 2.0)?
  • When you configured BIOS parameters, did you start with Load Optimized Defaults?
  • What PCIe cards are in the system?
  • Are any external USB devices connected?
  • Are any Thunderbolt devices connected?
I don't use firewire pcie card.
Theres is two external hard drive connected to the FUSB Header on my case
I'm not sure that i load optimized defaults...but i follow your parameters
I got a pcie express wifi/BT card installed in order to have wifi
External device connected as mentionned above are two external hard drive usb3, mouse, keyboard and graphic tablet.
No Thunderbolt device connected

Back