Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello Ploddles,

Thank you for keeping your promise, I'll do some more testing with this info, I'm not sure when because I don't have much time at them moment but I will come back to you as soon as I have results.

Best regards

Hi,

I did have some time to compare, you don't have VirtualSMC.kext, SMCProcessor.kext, SMCSuperIO.kext, Lilu, AppleALC.kext and Whatevergreen in /L/E, only in Other. And I read in a different post that you run Catalina, I run Mojave. You probably have read this as well:

So, although I want to stick to this guide, as soon as I have some time I will try it the other way by putting these
kext only in Other, just as a test.

Thanks again.

Your config.plist is seemingly okay. Nevertheless please try the attached version. Copy your serial numbers back into SMBIOS before use.

Some Tips:
  • You have one of the most fantastic 4K monitors on the face of the planet. But you're driving that Ferrari with the cheapest low-octane fuel?? :) You should use a discrete AMD GPU.
  • Ensure that you're using an HDMI 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 certified cable. The HDMI port on the rear IO panel is only capable of 4K at 30Hz (hence HDMI 1.4). This is another reason to switch to a discrete AMD GPU.
  • Also check that you have latest versions of Lilu and WhateverGreen.
  • However, it would be better to drive that monitor via DisplayPortinstead because that is capable of 4K 60Hz.
    • Simply use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable such as this one.
    • Plug it into either of the two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports on the rear IO panel.

Thank you, I used the config you provided, and enabled inject intel drivers in the config and then everything worked, I did had an issue where the image would get purple and low res, switching to a usb c to HDMI 2.0 cable fixed the issue and I get 4k 60hz with it.
You are totally right about the graphics, I spent all my money on the 2080 ti, and then when I got more I bought a 2tb nvme drive for the Hackintosh disk so im looking to buy a 5700xt in my next visit to the US in a couple months.

On a side note is there any way I can keep the 2080 ti plugged in but the fans turned off? and is there any tip you can suggest for dual booting with windows?

I too would love to see what everyone else is getting on benchmarks. We put a lot of work into getting these machines running smoothly, I'd like to know where my rig matches up to everyone one else's.

Here is my Geekbench 5.0 and Luxmark scores. GeekBench is what I'd like to see the most. I have no idea what people get when they overclock the i9 9900K in a Hackintosh. I tried overclocking a some but my Geekbench numbers never really change.

I only have an RX 580 but here are my scores.

Screenshot 2020-02-19 at 21.49.28.png
Screenshot 2020-02-19 at 21.50.12.png
Screenshot 2020-02-19 at 21.50.37.png

Hi,

I did have some time to compare, you don't have VirtualSMC.kext, SMCProcessor.kext, SMCSuperIO.kext, Lilu, AppleALC.kext and Whatevergreen in /L/E, only in Other. And I read in a different post that you run Catalina, I run Mojave. You probably have read this as well:

So, although I want to stick to this guide, as soon as I have some time I will try it the other way by putting these
kext only in Other, just as a test.

Thanks again.

As you are running Mojave, put a copy of the kexts in L/E and remember to remove the FAKE...kexts as well and to rebuild your cache before you reboot.

If you get any stop errors then it would be worth resetting your bios (short the pins as per the manual), and then redo the settings after first loading optimal defaults. I have never had to but some people seem to have to do that after a change like this.

Thank you, I used the config you provided, and enabled inject intel drivers in the config and then everything worked, I did had an issue where the image would get purple and low res, switching to a usb c to HDMI 2.0 cable fixed the issue and I get 4k 60hz with it.
You are totally right about the graphics, I spent all my money on the 2080 ti, and then when I got more I bought a 2tb nvme drive for the Hackintosh disk so im looking to buy a 5700xt in my next visit to the US in a couple months.

On a side note is there any way I can keep the 2080 ti plugged in but the fans turned off? and is there any tip you can suggest for dual booting with windows?

You can leave the 2080 in but you will need a custom SSDT to disable the slot under macOS, it will continue to work fine in Windows.

If you buy another NVMe drive for windows make sure that it is in the top slot on the motherboard. Probably best (but not fully necessary) to remove the Hack nvme whilst you install windows.

When loaded, add your Hack drive back in and set the BIOS to boot from the Hack drive. Clover will see the Windows drive as well ,and you then get the option to boot either Hack or Windows.

Thanking everyone in advance. I have the following configuration and everything is working (I think) except for the Thunderbolt. It is not recognized i.e. "no drivers are loaded". I am a newbie so excuse the question. What am I doing wrong? I am including the config.plist.

Z390 Gigabyte Designare
i9 9900K processor
Z590 Gigabyte video card
16GB RAM
Samsung SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2
Firmware F8

Thanks again

Bonsaimaster

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Thanking everyone in advance. I have the following configuration and everything is working (I think) except for the Thunderbolt. It is not recognized i.e. "no drivers are loaded". I am a newbie so excuse the question. What am I doing wrong? I am including the config.plist.

Z390 Gigabyte Designare
i9 9900K processor
Z590 Gigabyte video card
16GB RAM
Firmware F8

Thanks again

Bonsaimaster
Check here: About This Mac, click System Report < Hardware < PCI

My LuxMark 3.1 score was around 14K around.. But Clock speed shows 300MHz only... Is there is any issues?

And help me to Monitor GPU Clock speed in HWMonitor or any GUI App.. I'm using VirtualSMC..

Hi everyone.

First of all thanks for this amazing guide! I have my hackintosh up and running within 2 hours and it is working for a week without any issues (even without bt/wifi card installed).

The one thing I am really interested is a security. I really interested in enabling FileVault. Is it safe? And can you guide me where I can find good guide to enable it?

Z390 Gigabyte Designare
i9 9900K processor
Z590 Gigabyte video card
16GB RAM
Firmware F8

Thanks again

Bonsaimaster
Check here: About This Mac, click System Report < Hardware < PCI
As @jiffyslot pointed out, we need to look at System Information --> PCI instead of Thunderbolt. This is also mentioned at the top of the Catalina Mini-Guide, just before Step 1:

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 3.46.28 AM.png

Back