Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I left for a couple of hours and see that some interesting stuff happened here.... .)

@xanderevo what was the SMBIOS you were using when this happened? Was/is Wi-fi working as well or just bluetooth?

Well I may have done something unintentionally

View attachment 384141

View attachment 384143

View attachment 384144

I have no bluetooth and WiFi card (just the integrated on the mainboard) it's working o_O
just deleted some config.plist on preferences because I thought it had something to do with the sleep issue

Uhm what the hell o_O?

I also experienced issues with sleep. Display was turning off as it should, machine worked for a bit longer, and then all fans were stopping for a couple of seconds. After a couple of seconds it started itself up and display was turning on back. So it didn't want to sleep. Insomnia.

What solved the sleep issue for me completely was:

Step 1:
Turning on "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" setting in System Preferences / Energy Saver.

Step 2:
Then, in Terminal I run: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

When I applied this command without Step 1, I was warned by system: "Disk sleep should be non-zero whenever system sleep is non-zero."

Now my system goes to sleep correctly, all fans stop. No sudden wakes.

To wake up I just need to press any key on my Apple Wireless keyboard a couple of times.

No issues at all. Tested multiple times.

Good to know I will try this. Can I ask what is your SMBIOS?

@ummario
I'm using Macmini8,1 SMBIOS

@ummario / @xanderevo
  • Please run pmset -g assertions in Terminal.
  • Then wait 5 minutes -- but don't do anything on the computer -- don't even move the mouse.
  • Run pmset -g assertions again.
  • Post the entire output of both pmset operations.
Also ensure the following in config.plist:
  • PluginType is TRUE
  • AppleIntelCPUPM is checked ON
And in System Preferences --> Energy Saver:
  • Enable Power Nap --> OFF
  • Wake for Network Access --> OFF
  • What is the current setting for "Put monitor to sleep after ..."?

OK. Since yesterday, you asked me several things (which I appreciate as you know, thank you for that). But I was not that much at home, and really without time to make all the tests... so I wilL try to make what you asked me, but will reply to you on each different post.

About this pmset -g assertions, not sure if this is it what you wanted, but must say that really nothing happened after 5 minutes. You can find attached the print screen on both runs of pmset -g assertions.

The first run, I had put monitor on sleep after 15 minutes, and, on the second one ,I changed that to 4 minutes.

All the rest was as you asked (PluginType, AppleIntelCPIPM... etc.).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-01 at 22.43.36.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-01 at 22.43.36.png
    304.2 KB · Views: 53
Well, still no success but I did stumble on something interesting.

I went back to MacMini8,1
Deleted com.apple.PowerManagement.*
Rebooted
Turned off ALL the checkboxes in Energy Saver.
Tried to force sleep.
It went to sleep, I heard it click off, Power LED went off. Two seconds later, it clicks back on.
This is the usual behavior for me.
Rebooted again, put a check in "Put hard disks to sleep when possible"
Ran the command @AlexD mentioned: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
rebooted
Tried going into sleep mode again
Same behavior. Nothing changed.

Decided to boot my MacOS install off the thumb drive I made following @CaseySJ's guide.
This was running an older version of clover (4674).

I went into the Energy Saver and noticed it looked different than what I see when I boot off my internal, which is running Clover 4862.
When I boot off the old version of clover, I see a "Computer Sleep" slider.
When I boot off the newer version that slider is not available, only displaying "Turn display off after".

Also, there are additional options. Not sure what's up with that.

I will say that sleep didn't work booting off my thumb drive either, but it did give different behavior. Instead of sleeping it rebooted the computer.

Attachments

• New Clover.png
    New Clover.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Old Clover.png
    Old Clover.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 58
Well, still no success but I did stumble on something interesting.

I went into the Energy Saver and noticed it looked different than what I see when I boot off my internal, which is running Clover 4862.
When I boot off the old version of clover, I see a "Computer Sleep" slider.
When I boot off the newer version that slider is not available, only displaying "Turn display off after".

Also, there are additional options. Not sure what's up with that.

It's interesting as it is strange. I have noticed already that my other hackintosh had a different screen from this one (exactly as yours). But I didn't pay that much attention to that. I confirmed that both hackintoshes are running clover version 4769 and both have SMBIO iMacPro1,1.

Is strange because I can make the other hackintosh sleep, but after wake up Bluetooth does not work :p.... Well it seems that are no perfect machines :) (or knowledge to solve)

CaseySJ. I'd like to thank you for this wonderful peace of guide-writing. Got almost the same setup except for an i9-9900k and 64gb ram. Followed every step and the system is super solid now.
Had an x99 machine before which has always been a bit unstable and unreliable, so this is a big relief right now. Truly amazing work from your side. Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Could you upload your updated config.plist so I can compare it to mine?
I will do so when I get home this evening.
@CaseySJ, WIFI wake issues appear to ge gone, great info, thanks.

Hoping to get your thoughts on USB wake up. Similar to WIFI if I leave a thumb drive in USB and put the system to sleep for a period of time at wake the not ejected properly error comes up. Hoping to get your thoughts and knowledge around this. Poking around some are adjusitng XMP profiles to mitigate the ejects errors on wake. from the build guide we are setting the bios to XPM Profile 1, should clover boot mirror that? alternately turn bios off and set in clover boot? Ill test a bit more as time permits.

Im not sure I understand the connection between USB and XMP used to identify memory speeds, seems strange.
Good question. Please see this section:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/#External Disks

Back