Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Anyone have any clue what might be causing this?
Because you don't have an RX 5700-series GPU, you may try removing agdpmod=pikera from Boot Arguments. If that alone doesn't help, you may also try adding the AGDP Black Screen patch from Clover Configurator --> Kernel and Kext Patches. From the pop-up menu, select the AGDP patch that's near the center of the pop-up menu. I using a Windows laptop at the moment, so cannot run Clover Configurator to grab a screenshot.

Because you don't have an RX 5700-series GPU, you may try removing agdpmod=pikera from Boot Arguments. If that alone doesn't help, you may also try adding the AGDP Black Screen patch from Clover Configurator --> Kernel and Kext Patches. From the pop-up menu, select the AGDP patch that's near the center of the pop-up menu. I using a Windows laptop at the moment, so cannot run Clover Configurator to grab a screenshot.
I didnt have agdpmod=pikera in boot arguments. Should I try adding it? I added the agdp patch alone and it didnt work.

I've been looking to build a hackintosh for a while and recently found this thread. Thank you @CaseySJ for this guide. Very comprehensive!
I'm ordering very similar parts with some variations and would be using the system mainly for editing and graphics work. Also happy to report the process if that's any help to the forum.
A question: any particular parts on the market that you would favour over what's on the guide currently?
I have the following now that I want to order:
•Thermaltake Versa J23 Tempered Glass RGB
•RX580 (is this the right one?)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Y7CKM2/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

•Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 2TB SSD (for one partition)
•Gigabyte MB INT 1151 Z390 Designare D4 ATX
•Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 64GB
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I've been looking to build a hackintosh for a while and recently found this thread. Thank you @CaseySJ for this guid. Very comprehensive!
I'm ordering very similar parts with some variations and would be using the system mainly for editing and graphics work. Also happy to report the process if that's any help to the forum.
A question: any particular parts on the market that you would favour over what's on the guid currently?

I did a build recently and followed the guide here pretty closely, if you look at my posts you can find the build. I used the non-Nitro+ version of the Sapphire RX580 GPU, and the same memory you are considering. I also copied the guide idea of a smaller NVMe for boot and applications (500GB) and used a separate larger SSD (4TB) for the home folder/data, that is working nicely. Doesn't look like the case you are considering has a USB-C port on the top/front, I am sure there are others with this, including the one I used, Fractal R6 w/ USB-C. For the R6 there is a custom USB SSDT in this build guide.

Last edited:
I've been looking to build a hackintosh for a while and recently found this thread. Thank you @CaseySJ for this guide. Very comprehensive!
A question: any particular parts on the market that you would favour over what's on the guide currently?

If price allows, consider the RX590. When I bought mine, it was only 20 bucks more than the RX580. I have the Saffire nitro+ 8GB and it works great!
Also, check the forum to see if anyone has anything to say about the particular SSD you've selected, to be sure it is or isn't compatible with macOS. I've personally had excellent results with Crucial and Samsung drives, not so much with Intel and Kingston... I don't mean just drive quality either, I mean make sure macOS will actually work with the drive; most of these will work with Windows, but for example if I use an Intel 600 series, macOS won't even boot for me, the installer stalls and freezes...

HTH :)

I did a build recently and followed the guide here pretty closely, if you look at my posts you can find the build. I used the non-Nitro+ version of the Sapphire RX580 GPU, and the same memory you are considering. I also copied the guide idea of a smaller NVMe for boot and applications (500GB) and used a separate larger SSD (4TB) for the home folder/data, that is working nicely. Doesn't look like the case you are considering has a USB-C port on the top/front, I am sure there are others with this, including the one I used, Fractal R6 w/ USB-C. For the R6 there is a custom USB SSDT in this build guide.
Thanks for that @MacMarshall . great to read your thread. Quite a lot of reading I need to do but it'll be useful.
The ThermalTake case is the only part I've ordered so far. Still trying to see if there are better options for the components. It does have two USB3 ports on the front though. I was trying to prioritise the components over case but will definitely try and get a better one with my next build.

If price allows, consider the RX590. When I bought mine, it was only 20 bucks more than the RX580. I have the Saffire nitro+ 8GB and it works great!
Also, check the forum to see if anyone has anything to say about the particular SSD you've selected, to be sure it is or isn't compatible with macOS. I've personally had excellent results with Crucial and Samsung drives, not so much with Intel and Kingston... I don't mean just drive quality either, I mean make sure macOS will actually work with the drive; most of these will work with Windows, but for example if I use an Intel 600 series, macOS won't even boot for me, the installer stalls and freezes...

HTH :)
Thanks @djx8605 what improvements have you noticed in the RX590 over the RX580? I'll have to look into this further but would be helpful to know if it's compatibility or speed and quality. what you say about the SSD is totally valid I think. Not sure if it's compatible honestly but will have to look into it. I've tried to keep the mac tradition and avoid multiple drives and at the same time the Samsung ones are fairly pricy. This one has great reviews but I'll have to make sure it's compatible. so thanks for mentioning.

Thank you @iLikeHackintosh. Had a quick read through and will read it again tomorrow. Hoping to do some proper research over the next few days. Thanks again

You are welcome. This beast is built especially for video editing, for professional audio and also for complex graphics work. It's really hard to get Radeon VII now but I was lucky enough. Radeon VII is almost 2x better than Radeon RX Vega 56. BruceX test takes between 4 to 5 seconds. Latest Radeon VII firmware is recommended.

radeon-vs-vega-56-jpg.442514

Back