Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

you mentioned that you installed clover v 4961. I'm not sure it is new enough for Catalina's liking. perhaps the link you chose hasn't been updated in a while to link to the latest version of clover. google "download clover boot loader" and you'll find a site that will have the latest version. download, update your Catalina drive and your usb drive.

the "can't allocate runtime area error" usually means there is a missing memory driver in your drivers folder (which in the latest version of clover, that you will install, is /clover/drivers/UEFI). somewhere on the first page of this thread is a link to download OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi. download that file and place in the drivers/UEFI folder along with the other drivers that you will move from your existing drivers64UEFI folder. but make sure you only have one memory driver in your drivers/UEFI folder. if you have any other memory drivers in your drivers64UEFI folder, don't transfer them.

finally, Casey mentions on page 1 that you need to have
slide=0
as one of your boot arguments, to go along with the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi memory driver.

after you update clover to latest version and populate your /drivers/UEFI folder, and still no luck, let us know the symptoms and post a screen shot of your drivers folder.
Thanks a million @faithie999 for the helpful advice. I concluded I might have been a bit too early with this upgrade - so I will let more knowledgable people figure the quirks out and try again later on.

Those are hubs.

Remember that each 9 port USB 2.0 header is actually two 5 pin connectors / USB 2.0 ports (only 4 pins are required).

The second item is two 4 port USB hubs connected to the two F_USB ports so you can connect eight USB 2.0 devices.

The first item is a single 4 port USB hub so you can connect four USB 2.0 devices to it.

The first item appears to waste one of the USB 2.0 ports of the F_USB header. The wasted F_USB port doesn't matter if you need to exclude a USB 2.0 port to be under the 15 port limit. If you want to save the port (for Windows maybe) then you should use the second item, or buy a couple 5 pin cables or any other 4 or 5 pin solutions that will fit (make sure they are connected the correct way).
We've covered this in more detail earlier in this thread, but it's worth repeating for completeness:
  • F_USB implements the ports HS11 and HS12.
  • If connecting both internal and external USB devices, internal devices should be connected to either HS11 or HS12, and external to the other.
    • In this case, the 4-way splitter should be used, which comes with 2 circuit boards.
    • Internal USB devices should be connected to one of those boards; external devices to the other.
    • To determine which devices are connected to HS11 and which to HS12, run IORegistryExplorer after connecting USB devices and search for HS11 and HS12 under XHC.
  • USB SSDT should be modified to specify Type=255 for internal port and Type=0 for external, to ensure proper sleep/wake.
  • Each splitter (i.e. each circuit board) implements a 4-port USB 2 hub internally because each USB header on the splitter is a 9-pin header (which supports 2 USB devices), and there are two 9-pin headers on each circuit board.

Hi @CaseySJ,
(Sorry, my English is poor. The following is Google Translate. I hope you can understand it.)

I encountered a problem when the BIOS->IGPU->Enabled booted When loading the system to the 4/3 progress, the display will flash. Sometimes can enter Catalina, sometimes it will enter a black screen.

This happens only after the computer is turned off and then on, Sometimes enter a black screen sometimes not, This problem is not only on CATALINA, but also on Mojave, I don’t understand why this happens.

I tried to solve the black screen problem and found 2 cases;

①: check -v Boot Arguments flag can enter Catalina

②: When ① cannot be resolved, BIOS->IGPU->Disabled can enter Catalina. After restarting BIOS:Enabled IGPU again i can still enter Catalina.

I think this problem is caused by LG UltaFine 5K?
Hello @2dge

Please post your config.plist from EFI partition of the macOS SSD. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section. I want to see if you're using a headless platform ID for the iGPU (e.g. 0x3E980003).

Thanks a million @faithie999 for the helpful advice. I concluded I might have been a bit too early with this upgrade - so I will let more knowledgable people figure the quirks out and try again later on.
First of all, it's great that you have a full bootable backup!

Upgrading Clover on the main disk should be straightforward, but we should upgrade to the latest version, which is 5100. If you decide to try this again (I'm not saying you should do it now), here are some guidelines:
  • Ensure that your backup disk is updated and ready for disaster recovery.
  • Download the Clover package file (.pkg) from here.
  • Run the installer file and select these buttons and options:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 4.32.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 4.33.04 AM.png
  • The installer will mount the EFI partition and it will leave that partition mounted when it finishes.
  • Using Finder, examine the files in the updated CLOVER folder.
    • You will see a new CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder
      • Delete all files inside this folder, but not the folder itself.
    • You will see the old CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder as well
      • Delete this folder and its contents.
  • Download Catalina Fresh Install.zip from the Catalina Mini-Guide.
    • Inside the ZIP you'll find a folder called Copy-to-drivers-UEFI.
    • Copy all of these files to CLOVER/drivers/UEFI.
    • Also inside the ZIP you'll find a folder called Copy-to-kexts-Other.
    • Copy only Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC to CLOVER/kexts/Other.
      • If these same 3 files also exist in /Library/Extensions, then also copy them to /Library/Extensions. And then run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache.
  • Now add the Boot Argument agdpmod=pikera to your config.plist. This can be done using Clover Configurator:
    Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 3.25.03 AM.png
  • Save the file and quit Clover Configurator.
  • Reboot and check that Mojave still boots up.
  • Use the system for a few hours or a day to ensure that it's stable and will boot up repeatedly.
  • Then attempt the Catalina in-place upgrade once again.

Last edited:
Hello @2dge

Please post your config.plist from EFI partition of the macOS SSD. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section. I want to see if you're using a headless platform ID for the iGPU (e.g. 0x3E980003).

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Please po
Haha great to hear you got it to work. I'm still asking the guy about his patches, I found a list that summarizes what his patches are, but there's no way of telling what they actually do:
  • FIX ACPI ERRORS
  • FIX OEM SSDTs to AVOID ERRORS AND WARNINGS
  • REMOVE UNUSED SCOPES / DEVICES
  • HIGH PRECISION EVENT TIMER
  • SATA
  • DMAC
  • REMOVE PROBLEMATIC AND UNUSED DEVICES
  • FIX K.P in REBOOT
  • SLPB
  • DARWIN / WINDOWS 2015
  • XHCI
  • PLUGIN TYPE
  • HDAS to HDEF
  • HDEF
  • REAL TIME CLOCK
  • ARTC
  • IRQs
  • SBUS
  • BUS1
  • MCHC
  • ALS0
  • SHUTDOWN
  • LAN
  • FWHD
  • USBX
  • PMCR
  • PPMC
  • XSPI
  • CNVW
  • GMM
  • IMEI
  • EC
  • PNLF
  • ARPT
  • GFX0
  • NVME
  • DTGP
  • ACQUIRE MUT0 0XFFFF
  • MUTEX MUT0 0x00
  • EXTERNAL REFERENCES
  • UNKNOWNOBJ
  • HDMI / HDAU
  • FULL RENAMED DEVICES
I went ahead and looked through the DSDT myself, to remove stuff like mentions of a Lid and the Ambient Light Sensor, as I don't think I need those. I checked to see if the EC device and DTGP are present, and included the UIAC v7 USB SSDT in the DST (so I just need one file).
@totototo I'll upload that one, with my new config.plist which allows for booting w/o UsePicker, straight to macOS even though I also have a Win10 partition
Please post it. I still have sleep issue to sort out. Promising start with OC though. Thanks

Haha great to hear you got it to work. I'm still asking the guy about his patches, I found a list that summarizes what his patches are, but there's no way of telling what they actually do:
  • FIX ACPI ERRORS
  • FIX OEM SSDTs to AVOID ERRORS AND WARNINGS
  • REMOVE UNUSED SCOPES / DEVICES
  • HIGH PRECISION EVENT TIMER
  • SATA
  • DMAC
  • REMOVE PROBLEMATIC AND UNUSED DEVICES
  • FIX K.P in REBOOT
  • SLPB
  • DARWIN / WINDOWS 2015
  • XHCI
  • PLUGIN TYPE
  • HDAS to HDEF
  • HDEF
  • REAL TIME CLOCK
  • ARTC
  • IRQs
  • SBUS
  • BUS1
  • MCHC
  • ALS0
  • SHUTDOWN
  • LAN
  • FWHD
  • USBX
  • PMCR
  • PPMC
  • XSPI
  • CNVW
  • GMM
  • IMEI
  • EC
  • PNLF
  • ARPT
  • GFX0
  • NVME
  • DTGP
  • ACQUIRE MUT0 0XFFFF
  • MUTEX MUT0 0x00
  • EXTERNAL REFERENCES
  • UNKNOWNOBJ
  • HDMI / HDAU
  • FULL RENAMED DEVICES
I went ahead and looked through the DSDT myself, to remove stuff like mentions of a Lid and the Ambient Light Sensor, as I don't think I need those. I checked to see if the EC device and DTGP are present, and included the UIAC v7 USB SSDT in the DST (so I just need one file).
@totototo I'll upload that one, with my new config.plist which allows for booting w/o UsePicker, straight to macOS even though I also have a Win10 partition
How is sleep with OC? What are the benefits of OC over Clover? Is everything working? Just wondering.

Hello !
I’m surprised to have a very very low sound level, even with all sliders pushed to max. The sound played is almost saturated, over-mastered, and I can hardly hear it in my headphones... is there something particular to do to have a normal sound level ??

@totototo see attached zip (serial, MLB and UUID redacted)
@trouble74 sleep works great other improvements include:
  • faster booting
  • native nvram working on Z390 (if you use DSDT)
  • Netflix (but this is because OC forced me to disable iGPU and I switched to SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 with AMD GPU, see here)
  • future proof, as AFAIK everyone believes OC will supersede Clover as the go-to Hackintosh boot loader (this was my most important drive)
  • more native feel (ie if you hold OPT during boot you can choose a different booting partition, just like a real Mac would)

Attachments

• totototo.zip
    2 MB · Views: 122
Hi @CaseySJ,

(Sorry, my English is poor. The following is Google Translate. I hope you can understand it.)

I encountered a problem when the BIOS->IGPU->Enabled booted When loading the system to the 4/3 progress, the display will flash. Sometimes can enter Catalina, sometimes it will enter a black screen.

This happens only after the computer is turned off and then on, Sometimes enter a black screen sometimes not, This problem is not only on CATALINA, but also on Mojave, I don’t understand why this happens.

I tried to solve the black screen problem and found 2 cases;

①: check -v Boot Arguments flag can enter Catalina

②: When ① cannot be resolved, BIOS->IGPU->Disabled can enter Catalina. After restarting BIOS:Enabled IGPU again i can still enter Catalina.

I think this problem is caused by LG UltaFine 5K?

Here's my spec:

Intel Core i9-9900K
GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE
AREZ-STRIX-RXVEGA64-O8G-GAMING
Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB
Corsair LPX 16Gx2 3200 ddr4 * 2
LG UltaFine 5K(2019)

Hi

certainly an issue with the memory EFI driver. Same thing on my build so I need to boot with this one.
With iGPU disable and an iMacPro SMBIOS OsXAptioFixDrv is ok.

Back