Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Sooooo 10.15.2 has finally been released, I hope we can get a cleaner way to install it on our builds than we have to do on 10.15.1.
I did a standard Apple update, and it worked perfectly for me

@CaseySJ I think we can start writing an install guide for 10.15.2 as I just created an brand new install drive with it replacing the config.plist with the AMD one and filling with the proper SMBIOS. It all works perfectly at the moment with the iGPU switched on from BIOS.
Once I've independently verified this, I'll update the Catalina Mini-Guide. If all AMD GPU users can install Catalina without first resorting to the iGPU, then of course this is a great time saver. Fewer steps mean fewer chances for error. Will update the mini-guide over the weekend.

Thanks again. I was going to try and do the backup once the system has everything i need to work on it (that way if it craps out i can be back up and running quickly).
That's exactly what we tell users NOT to do! When the basic system is installed, a backup should be made right away. That serves as the Initial Baseline. Then we can start installing apps, drivers, and devices. And if something goes terribly wrong, we can immediately get back to the Initial Baseline and avoid or defer the problematic apps, drivers, and devices. And finally, when apps, drivers, and devices have been installed successfully, then we update the backup disk. That becomes our Operational Baseline.
One strange thing happened when i installed the drivers for pro tools... the attached image started happening and the machine no longer automatically boots into my macOS drive. I also renamed the os drive around the same time, if that could be the issue also. Should i rerun the post install procedure again?
This proves my point. Sorry to put you on the spot, but no one will ever feel the need to take PROACTIVE action. Human nature is such that we will wait for a crash before buying insurance (which is why governments force us to buy insurance).
  • Make a full bootable backup immediately after installing macOS.
  • Update the backup periodically when new apps, drivers, and devices have been installed and verified.
  • Update the backup immediately before updating macOS (such as from 10.15.1 to 10.15.2).
  • MacOS was not designed for DIY PCs so we resort to an unholy concoction of bootloaders, memory drivers, graphics drivers, audio drivers, network drivers, ACPI patches, custom SSDTs, dropping of OEM tables, silencing IRQ conflicts, injecting shiki and agdpmod arguments, and on and on.
  • This means anything can go wrong at any time.
  • Backups are not a theoretical nicety, but a crucial requirement.
Avid's Pro Tools might require a headless Platform ID such as 0x3E980003 with SMBIOS iMac19,1. If config-AMD-GPU.plist was used in post-installation, then it is already set up correctly. If you run Hackintool, the default opening window will identify:
  • Platform ID (check for 0x3E980003)
  • SMBIOS (check for iMac19,1)
  • VDA Decoder (check if this one is Fully Supported)
If anyone has Pro Tools running properly on 10.15.1 or 10.15.2, please let us know.

Last edited:
If anyone has Pro Tools running properly on 10.15.1 or 10.15.2, please let us know.

ALERT: Do not upgrade to macOS Catalina version 10.15
Current versions of Pro Tools are NOT COMPATIBLE with macOS Catalina (10.15). We are working closely with Apple in order to support macOS 10.15 Catalina as soon as possible. Until further notice, we recommend that you do not upgrade your Mac operating system for your Pro Tools machines. In the meantime we recommend that you continue to use macOS Mojave or other compatible macOS

That's one of the reasons won't install Catalina, besides my TC Electronic audio interface also never will get a driver update

I know that it may sound useless but... does anyone know a way to control our RGB stuff on macOS? I have two HYPERX RGB modules with rainbow effect that I would like to edit, if possible

Guys sad news again... still getting a endless “CODE SIGNING” issue on 10.15.2 don’t know what could be cause it...
I was able to get into GUI Installer and with this update I didn’t have to ghost click the installer was normal looking did it’s 2 reboots without issue and when I attempted to boot into macOS welcome GUI the verbose just continues in CODE SIGNING @CaseySJ any idea what could cause that?

Guys sad news again... still getting a endless “CODE SIGNING” issue on 10.15.2 don’t know what could be cause it...
I was able to get into GUI Installer and with this update I didn’t have to ghost click the installer was normal looking did it’s 2 reboots without issue and when I attempted to boot into macOS welcome GUI the verbose just continues in CODE SIGNING @CaseySJ any idea what could cause that?

How are you installing? Which hardware is installed? How many drives? Which lanes are occupied, etc?
Did you reset your BIOS (are all the settings correct?) etc.

I realized that when desperately trying to get it running after a while there is so many file versions, windows open, settings tweaked that install is prone to failure.

How are you installing? Which hardware is installed? How many drives? Which lanes are occupied, etc?
Did you reset your BIOS (are all the settings correct?) etc.

I realized that when desperately trying to get it running after a while there is so many file versions, windows open, settings tweaked that install is prone to failure.

z390 Designare
i7 9700k
64GB vengeance RGB Pro
Gigabyte RX 5700xt (Reference) (pcie1)
Fenvi (lowest short slot)
H710 NZXT
2 x NVMe Samsung 970 Evo (m2p & m2m)

Sandisk CruzerGlide 16gb flash drive

double checked bios set them all up and saved the profile so I could load it and double check it and attempt it

usb installer is plugged in to blue usb 3.0 directly next to bottom Ethernet Io
Using clover 5100 and newest clover configurator

also double checked that system time and date were accurate to make sure wasn’t anything crazy like that.

Last edited:
I got almost the same components (except a Sapphire Pulse 5700XT, a Noctua Cooler, and Vengeance non RGB Ram. Same flash drive.

I removed one of my HDDs and Fenvi during install though.
970 Evo was in m2m.
GPU in PCIe2 due to my big cooler (Noctua D15S).

Peripherals? PSU and Cooler?
What are your iGPU settings in BIOS?
Do you install Catalina as english version?

Hi,
I just completed my first installation based on the 10.15.1 miniguide without any issues.

The only improvement I could suggest is at the beginning of step 2 note that the USB stick needs to be inserted in the back-panel non-black usb ports. (using the case USB port attached to the mainboard header yields you a black screen after seemingly starting out just fine :)). The post #1 full guide states clearly which USB ports to use, so the fix was easily found.

After completing the 10.15.1 miniguide and doing the bootable backup I ran the 10.15.2 update. Do keep an eye on the boot choices by Clover, because it sent me back into 10.15.1 repeatedly until I specifically chose to boot from 'install from catalina-data' to finish the update.

Many thanks to @CaseySJ and everyone else involved in this process.

Back