Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

• Please note that you can capture a screenshot of any window in macOS by pressing CMD-Shift-5 then moving the mouse over a window and clicking. The screenshot will be saved on the Desktop. This will reduce file size significantly.
  • The PCI section of System Informationshows that Thunderbolt NHI Controller (native host interface) and Thunderbolt XHC Controller (for USB-C) are both present.
    • Do you have any Thunderbolt devices connected?
  • The Ethernet Cards section only shows the Intel i219 that is controlled by IntelMausiEthernet.kext. The other (missing) Ethernet card is the Intel i211 that requires SmallTreeIntel82576.kext.
    • If you use the SmallTreeIntel82576.kext from Post #1 (in Post-Install Files.zip) then also copy the two FakePCIID kexts. They are in the same Post-Install Files.zip
    • But if you use the SmallTreeIntel82576.kext from the Catalina Mini-Guide, then no need to copy the two FakePCIID kexts.
    • After copying files into /Library/Extensions we must run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache and fix kext permissions.
  • The only digital audio port I've seen from AppleALC.kext is the Built-In Digital Output. This is, of course, an optical or TOSLINK port.
    • I have not seen a coaxial digital output (SPDIF). Are you certain it was there in Mojave?
Well Sir, I will do the as you instructed now. I am getting one more issue that is if I go to system Preferences> Network, and, after that, if I try to disable, its not showing any changes in that. I am going to share the screenshot for the same. And mounting and un-mounting dmg is taking a hell lot of time.

I would also like to know about updating to Catalina along with RX 580 GPU as I tried before also and its not working for me. And Clover Version 5099 is also not supporting it my screen is getting stuck at Apple Logo or some time black screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 11.21.03 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 11.21.03 AM.png
    225.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 11.21.32 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 11.21.32 AM.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 59
I’ve got another question for anyone doing video work and rendering on this build. i could probably try and test things out myself but maybe others have already tried before me.

i have a 9900k and 5700 xt working with the igpu in headless mode on an iMac 19,1 smbios at the moment. I’m wondering if it’s worth it to switch to an iMac Pro 1,1 smbios and abandon quicksync/igpu and ‘force‘ the 5700 xt to pick up the slack more with certain tasks? Does this make sense with a 5700 xt, and would I see any real performance improvements with video edits and renders? Anyone tested something like this out?

Hi Guys, I have problem with connection LaCie 3TB 2big and Thunderbolt 3 on Designare.
My configuration : Z390 DESIGNARE | i9 9900K | AORUS Radeon RX 580. I followed all guide. TB seems to be installed but doesn't work with external hard drive.

I tried 2 ways:
1. I bought cable Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 ---> LaCie is dead
2. I bought Apple adapter Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 + TB2-TB2 Cable ---> LaCie Disks starts turning but not appearing on desktop or Disk Utility.

EDIT:
@CaseySJ

1. SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml: Enable hot plug capability for Thunderbolt 3 and activate USB 3.1 ports.
In Post-Install Files.zip file SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4 file is without extension so leave as it is or ad ".aml"?

2. My SATA/SATA EXPRESS Looks a bit different showing Intel 11 Series Chipset instead of Generic AHCI? Is it correct?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 11.01.45.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 11.01.45.png
    141.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 11.02.01.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 11.02.01.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 55
  • TB2 to TB3.png
    TB2 to TB3.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 15.00.57.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 15.00.57.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 15.01.55.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 15.01.55.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I’ve got another question for anyone doing video work and rendering on this build. i could probably try and test things out myself but maybe others have already tried before me.

i have a 9900k and 5700 xt working with the igpu in headless mode on an iMac 19,1 smbios at the moment. I’m wondering if it’s worth it to switch to an iMac Pro 1,1 smbios and abandon quicksync/igpu and ‘force‘ the 5700 xt to pick up the slack more with certain tasks? Does this make sense with a 5700 xt, and would I see any real performance improvements with video edits and renders? Anyone tested something like this out?

@FormerUser-50757 There's been quite a bit of talk about using Final Cut Pro on this thread. If you're using some other editor like Premiere then my input may not be worth as much. In my findings, having the iGPU enabled and being actively used hinders timeline performance in FCP. However, it is possible to have it enabled and not used by FCP.

Even when boosting the available ram to the iGPU, you likely won't beat the performance of your discrete GPU. Here is a post I made about disabling the iGPU, but I now keep mine enabled and headless for being able to take advantage of HEVC encoding via apps like VideoProc - which will use it.

Otherwise, I disable the iGPU from being seen/used by FCP by using the following boot arguments.

Code:
shikigva=32
shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94

One thing I'm going to be testing out shortly are some new settings which were added in the 1.3.5 release of WEG. They relate to DRM and AMD hardware. But, I'll have to see if FCP starts trying to use the iGPU again.

Headline: Did the 1.3.5 release of WEG make magic?

So, I just tried a boot with the shikigva boot argument set to 144 per the 1.3.5 release notes and it seems as if I'm experiencing something I've not experienced before.

FCP is using the iGPU for some Timeline rendering (which it doesn't when shikigva=32), BUT, it also seems like my dGPU is being used too. I say that because I've never gotten a 60 fps report from iStats menu (see image) when the iGPU was being used while scrubbing in the timeline.

I'm also not experiencing any beachballing while working in the timeline - like I have when removing all shiki boot args.

I left the shiki-id in, as I don't know what removing it does, but I'll have to test - unless someone on this thread/forum knows.

All my other attributes have stayed the same. Quick view of JPEGS (works), DRM in iTUNES (works), Netflix in Chrome(works) in Safari(does not work - never has) and VDA Decoder is Fully Supported.

Hope to hear from other FPC users who might be able to test this new WEG. I don't have super complex timelines so I know I'm not providing a really good stress test.

So far, this looks to be an improvement for my personal use case.

Attachments

• shikigva_144.png
    shikigva_144.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 65
  • VideoProc_Tests.png
    VideoProc_Tests.png
    279.3 KB · Views: 82
  • RadeonVII_60FPS_Timeline.png
    RadeonVII_60FPS_Timeline.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 63
  • iGPU_Timeline_Scrubbing.png
    iGPU_Timeline_Scrubbing.png
    257.5 KB · Views: 71
This happens because the cable supplied by Apple is a USB 2.0 cable instead of USB 3.0. Because we have disabled USB 2.0 on both of the Thunderbolt (USB-C) ports on the rear IO panel, it means no USB 2.0 device will connect.

We can buy cheap USB 3.0 cables such as this:
But I'm not aware of any Lightning to USB 3.0 cable, so the iPhone 11 Pro should be connected to a regular Type A USB port.

Oh well.... now I remember! Thank you! I'll try that. Thanks.

@CaseySJ Hello! My congratulations on this guide!! You've made a very easy guide to install!! Everything works perfectly but I have a little problem. I have connected 2 displays with USB-C to display port on iGPU (i7-8700K) and work great, but, after minutes or hours, the second display the image is saturated. All this without doing anything....any solution???? thx for best guide!!!

Last edited:
Hello @WhosMac

Because you're planning to do a fresh install of Catalina 10.15.1 with a Radeon RX 5700 XT, you could be our test subject for an updated installation procedure. Certain steps will be replaced with new versions of UniBeast and MultiBeast in the future.

If you're willing to be a test subject, please try the mini guide below that streamlines most of the work. By the way:
  • What is the make/model of your NVMe SSD?
  • Are you using a WiFi/BT card such as Fenvi FV-T919? If so, which slot is it in?

** Experimental Mini-Guide for Direct Installation of Catalina 10.15.1 **
WARNING: This guide may fail with AMD RX 5700 and 5700 XT GPUs. Click here for details.

This Guide...
  • Uses OcQuirks-4 and FwRuntimeServices instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.
  • Uses VirtualSMC from the beginning.
  • Applies all custom SSDTs from the beginning. No USB Port Limit patches are needed.
    • Hides Intel CNVi WiFi/BT card from macOS.
    • Enables Thunderbolt hot plug.
    • Configures USB ports and enables high-current delivery.
  • Sets iGPU to headless platform ID 0x3E980003. Use of a discrete AMD GPU is required.
  • Sets shikigva and shiki-id to allow DRM content playback in TV, Music, and Podcast apps.
  • Uses Clover 5xxx (v5098 or newer).
  • Uses the modified SmallTreeIntel82576 kext that directly supports Intel i211 Ethernet. No need for FakePCIIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext.
  • Sets boot parameter agdpmod=pikera to prevent black screen problem with some RX 5700 series GPUs.
  • Assumes there's a Broadcom 94360-based WiFi/BT card (such as Fenvi FV-T919) in the bottom short PCIe x1 slot. If you don't have such a WiFi/BT card, you should still be able to use this guide.
  • Uses Clover kext injection instead of installing kexts in /Library/Extensions. This is subject to change.
Preparation:
  • Set BIOS parameters according to main guide in Post #1.
    • Set Initial Display Output to PCIe 1 Slot (if RX 5700 XT or other supported AMD GPU is in Slot 1)
  • Connect monitor to RX 5700 XT or other supported AMD GPU.
Step 1: Create USB Install Disk
  • Use a 16 to 32 GB flash drive.
  • Format the USB drive in Disk Utility. Select View --> Show All Devices and click the parent name of your USB drive on left sidebar. Failure to do so will be catastrophic. Then select Erase and enter:
    • Name: Catalina-USB (use exactly this name)
    • Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled) --- do not use APFS here
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Download Catalina installer from App Store on a supported Mac. Check that it's in the Applications folder.
    • Also check that the USB disk has been mounted and its name is Catalina-USB
    • Open a Terminal window and type:
      sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/Catalina-USB
    • Enter your Mac password when requested.
    • This step will cause your USB install disk to be renamed to Install macOS Catalina.
    • If you encounter any errors, stop and report those errors.
  • Download Clover v5098 or newer from GitHub by clicking here and downloading the xxxx.pkg file.
    • Launch the Clover installer and allow the app to run (System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> General).
    • Click Continue, Continue, Change Install Location... and select the USB flash disk!
    • Then click Customize -- don't overlook this.
    • These 2 buttons are located here:
      View attachment 436339
    • Check that the Customize page looks exactly like this:
      View attachment 436340
    • Notice that Install RC scripts on target volume is unchecked. This is where you become our test subject! We'd like to start the installation without rc scripts and see what happens with shutdown and reboot. If shutdown and reboot don't work, then we can come back and install rc scripts.
    • Click the Install button.
  • Copy Clover Configurator to the standard partition of the USB flash disk (not the EFI partition).
  • The EFI partition of the USB install disk will already be mounted (Clover installer will do this automatically).
    • Open the EFI Folder on the EFI partition of USB disk. You'll see a CLOVER folder, of course.
    • Open the CLOVER folder.
    • Download the attached Catalina Fresh Install.zip into your Downloads folder on the Mac (not on the USB disk).
      • Open the CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and:
        • Delete all files in that folder and empty the trash.
        • Locate the folder Copy-to-drivers-UEFI in the above ZIP file you downloaded.
        • Copy all .efi files from this folder into CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
      • Open the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and:
        • Delete all files in that folder and empty the trash.
        • Locate the folder Copy-to-kexts-Other in the above ZIP file you downloaded.
        • Copy all .kext files from this folder into CLOVER/kexts/Other
      • Open the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and:
        • Locate the Copy-to-ACPI-patched folder in the above ZIP file you downloaded.
        • Copy all .aml files from this folder into CLOVER/ACPI/patched
      • Finally, locate config.plist in the same ZIP file you downloaded.
        • Copy the config.plist to the CLOVER folder on the USB install disk, overwriting the one that is there already.
        • Now open the config.plist (from USB install disk) with Clover Configurator 5.7.0.0 or newer.
          • Go to the SMBIOS page.
          • Click the pop-up menu on the lower right and select iMac19,1.
          • Then check-on the Trust checkbox.
            View attachment 436342
          • Everything else is already set in this file. So save it and quit Clover Configurator.
  • Eject the USB flash disk.
Step 2: Install Catalina (note the difference between BIOS Boot Menu and Clover Boot Menu)
  • Insert the USB install disk into the Hackintosh and boot.
  • Press F12 at BIOS Splash screen to bring up the BIOS Boot Menu and select the USB flash disk.
  • When Clover Boot Menu appears, select Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina
  • Follow the onscreen progress and report any issues.
  • When the installer starts, you'll need to run Disk Utility from inside the installer, select your target Catalina NVMe SSD, and format it.
    • Be sure to select View --> Show All Devices and click on the parent name of the Catalina SSD. Failure to do so will be catastrophic.
    • Then select:
      • Name: Catalina (you can change it later)
      • Format: APFS
      • Schema: GUID Partition Map
    • Then begin the macOS installer.
  • NOTE 1:
    • Whenever the macOS installer starts, you'll see a lot of log messages on screen because verbose mode is enabled in config.plist.
    • When the last log message appears on screen there might be a 2-3 minute wait before the screen switches to graphics mode. Just be patient. If the delay is more than 7 minutes, let us know.
  • There might be one or two reboots.
    • Each time the system reboots, press F12 at BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu.
    • Select the USB install disk from the BIOS Boot Menu.
  • Now you'll be back at the Clover Boot Menu:
    • Whenever you see a boot option called Boot macOS Install from Catalina, choose that option.
    • Do not select the USB disk.
  • NOTE 2:
    • MacOS installation will resume and you'll see X Minutes Remaining.
    • It may take up to 10 minutes for the number "X" to begin to count down.
    • So if you see, for example, "28 Minutes Remaining", it may stay like that for 10 minutes before the number 28 counts down.
    • If it takes more than 15-30 minutes to begin the countdown, let us know.
  • If everything goes according to plan, you'll be greeted with the Catalina Welcome screen.
    • Follow the onscreen guide.
    • You may also sign in to iCloud when asked.
  • If you encounter any problems, stop and let us know.
Step 3: Post Installation
  • We'll make this really simple for now.
  • Run Clover Configurator which was copied to the USB flash disk in Step 1.
    • Click Mount EFI on left sidebar of Clover Configurator
    • Mount EFI partitions of (a) USB flash disk and (b) Catalina SSD.
    • Copy the entire EFI Folder from EFI partition of USB disk to EFI partition of Catalina SSD.
    • If you like, you can open config.plist from the Catalina EFI partition and remove the -v Boot Arguments flag. This will stop the detailed log messages at startup and shutdown.
  • Eject USB flash disk.
  • Reboot directly from Catalina SSD.
  • Does it work? Report any issues.

Update: Just got through performing this procedure successfully, so consider it validated, but not widely tested.

Another wonderful guide, I just made a fresh install using this guide. Although I had a problem trying to boot the USB's install, I don't remember exactly the error message but as soon as I choose the "install macOS Catalina" in the booted USB's clover I received a error message saying something like "Boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exit"...

But I managed to boot it with a Mojave Backup that I had here, installed USB's Catalina, booted the fresh install, copied the USB's EFI to the main driver and it works. It doesn't make any sense to me hahahaha but it is working.

I'm still using a Vega64 but this week I'll receive the Asus 5700XT that I bought Black Friday and I'll post my results here.

Hey everyone! I followed this awesome guide about 6 months ago and everything's been running great, except that the graphics resolution isn't good (apologies, I don't know proper terms!) via the rx580.
It's about time I got that sorted; is this a common issue and can anyone give me an idiot's walkthrough of what to do to sort it out?!
Many thanks

I tried to update to the newest WhateverGreen, Lilu, and AppleALC but on reboot I just get a black screen. I have a AMD RX 560. I can access the system with screen sharing.
I have not tested these updates yet, but I'm curious:
  • If you copied the next kexts to /Library/Extensions I assume you ran Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache?
  • What Boot Argumentsare you using?
    • Any agdpmod arguments?
    • Any shikigva and/or shiki-id arguments?
    • If so, have you tried removing them temporarily?

Last edited:
Back