Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

You can change the CPU name in "About this Mac" as follows:
  1. If your "About this Mac" dialog box is open, close it.
  2. Finder --> open the Mojave /System/Library folder.
  3. Then open the PrivateFrameworks sub-folder.
  4. Then open the AppleSystemInfo.framework sub-folder.
  5. Then open the Versions/A/Resources sub-folder.
  6. You will see a lot of different language/region files here (localization files). If your system language is English, open the English.lproj sub-folder.
  7. You will find a single file here called AppleSystemInfo.strings
  8. Make a backup of that file (perhaps to your Documents or Downloads folder).
  9. Now copy that file to Desktop -- do not edit the original file in its original location.
  10. Edit the copy that is on the Desktop. Use Xcode or BBEdit or TextEdit to open the file. (If using TextEdit, make sure to select "Make Plain Text" from the Format menu.)
  11. Look for "UnknownCPUKind" and right under that will be "<string>Unknown</string>".
  12. Change that to something suitable. In my case I changed it to "<string>Intel i7-9700K</string>". Do NOT enter a processor speed. MacOS will do that automatically.
  13. Save the file -- your editor might complain that the file is not writable, but it should allow you to make it writable. I used BBEdit, which is an amazing editor.
  14. Now drag-and-drop the edited file to the folder in Step 5. You'll need to enter your password when prompted.
  15. That's it. Open "About this Mac" and the change should be reflected immediately.
View attachment 382630
Adding to Build Guide.

Credit for procedure goes to this site.

@CaseySJ thank you for the instruction. i will try it out when i get home today.

CaseySJ,

So have the z390 Designare up and running. A few issues to squash, this being the most annoying.

When I enter the suggested BIOS settings, my machine boots into black screen until I get to my User Login screen in Mojave. If I jump the "Clear CMOS Jumper" pins I'm able to see the "Gigabyte" splash screen & BIOS setup, but once I put in the Designare/Hackintosh Bios settings it's black screen through Clover till Mojave user login.

Thoughts?

ps. Board is Ver. 1.0 - Updated BIOS to F6c and have the RX580 in slot1.

CaseySJ,

So have the z390 Designare up and running. A few issues to squash, this being the most annoying.

When I enter the suggested BIOS settings, my machine boots into black screen until I get to my User Login screen in Mojave. If I jump the "Clear CMOS Jumper" pins I'm able to see the "Gigabyte" splash screen & BIOS setup, but once I put in the Designare/Hackintosh Bios settings it's black screen through Clover till Mojave user login.

Thoughts?

I had the same problem yesterday. I had to reinstall Mojave hoping it will go away. It is gone now, but I am not sure if it won't be a problem again.

CaseySJ,

Thoughts?

Glad to see you got the board from Germany and have it set up!

This can happen if BIOS --> Peripherals --> Initial Display Output is set to a video card that is not connected to your monitor. For example:
  • If monitor is connected to RX 580, then Initial Display Output should be set to PCIe Slot 1 (assuming card is in slot 1).
  • If monitor is connected to on-board HDMI or DP ports, then Initial Display Output should be IGFX.
Initial Display Output determines whether BIOS screen and Clover screen appear on IGPU or external GPU. If you plan to drive the monitor using RX 580 (which you should) then set Initial Display Output to PCIe Slot 1.

Glad to see you got the board from Germany and have it set up!

This can happen if BIOS --> Peripherals --> Initial Display Output is set to a video card that is not connected to your monitor. For example:
  • If monitor is connected to RX 580, then Initial Display Output should be set to PCIe Slot 1 (assuming card is in slot 1).
  • If monitor is connected to on-board HDMI or DP ports, then Initial Display Output should be IGFX.
Initial Display Output determines whether BIOS screen and Clover screen appear on IGPU or external GPU. If you plan to drive the monitor using RX 580 (which you should) then set Initial Display Output to PCIe Slot 1.

Assuming "PCIe Slot 1" is the slot closest to the processor, the RX580 is in the right spot.
"Initial Display Output" is definitely set to PCIe Slot 1

Scratching my head over this one.

Assuming "PCIe Slot 1" is the slot closest to the processor, the RX580 is in the right spot.
"Initial Display Output" is definitely set to PCIe Slot 1

Scratching my head over this one.
  1. The video cable has to be connected to the RX 580 as well.
  2. Also, if you're using HDMI, try switching to DisplayPort cable.
  3. It's also possible that your RX 580 has a newer VBIOS (if it's a Sapphire card) with non-reference video port layout. In that case try adding the "-raddvi" to Boot Arguments.
  4. If you're using a 4K monitor, you might have to power-cycle the monitor if you see an "Out of Range" or other signal error message on the monitor itself.
Also, it's good to double-check BIOS version and BIOS settings because there have been at least 2 reports of BIOS fallback occurring on this board.

1. The video cable has to be connected to the RX 580 as well.
  2. Also, if you're using HDMI, try switching to DisplayPort cable.
  3. It's also possible that your RX 580 has a newer VBIOS (if it's a Sapphire card) with non-reference video port layout. In that case try adding the "-raddvi" to Boot Arguments.
  4. If you're using a 4K monitor, you might have to power-cycle the monitor if you see an "Out of Range" or other signal error message on the monitor itself.
Also, it's good to double-check BIOS version and BIOS settings because there have been at least 2 reports of BIOS fallback occurring on this board.

Using DisplayPort cable out of the RX580, never touch HDMI to my uses.
My RX580 is a Sapphire 8192 MB.
I should add "-raddvi" to Boot Arguments in Clover?
To do so I have to jump the "Clear CMOS Jumper" and go back to stock BIOS settings as I never see Clover otherwise.
I am using a 4K Asus PB287Q @ 3840 x 2160 so perhaps I'll try power cycling, but it didn't show any error messages.

I suppose I could reflash BIOS to F5 if all else fails.

Best,

Back