Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 7 - i7-8700K - Nvidia GeForce GT740, Uadio Apollo 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey man!

Glad your machine is up and running!

I have a similar build, 8700k and the Gaming 7. My thunderbolt for UAD works intermittently. I'm using the GC Alpine. I find that if it isn't detected on startup I have to login to my Windows partition, see the two UAD devices (apollo and satellite) are present, restart into MacOS and it works fine. It happens every second time I boot up so would love to get it resolved!!

Any thoughts?

You probably don't have a setting right; Most likely USB / Thunderbolt security. I have a dual boot but never needed to detect the Apollo in Windows after the first time I got them working. I have the same setup with the same motherboard and GC Alpine card. I have three devices, Apollo 8, and two satellites. The only issue I have is that occasionally, three times in the last five or six months, the Apollo shows up but I do not get sound in apps: i.e., the UAD app meter and control panel it says its working but Logic, MPC, Youtube, etc., don't work. I simply reboot when that has happened and things work again. I had a similar issue every know and then on my Mac Mini so I assumed it is / was an OS / UAD bug.

Update your Motherboard Firmware and your thunderbolt firmware. Double check your settings. Install the latest UAD software. Make sure you have your settings saves a profile on the motherboard BIOS.

Hey man!
Glad your machine is up and running!

I have a similar build, 8700k and the Gaming 7. My thunderbolt for UAD works intermittently. I'm using the GC Alpine. I find that if it isn't detected on startup I have to login to my Windows partition, see the two UAD devices (apollo and satellite) are present, restart into MacOS and it works fine. It happens every second time I boot up so would love to get it resolved!!

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably don't have a setting right; Most likely USB / Thunderbolt security. I have a dual boot but never needed to detect the Apollo in Windows after the first time I got them working. I have the same setup with the same motherboard and GC Alpine card. I have three devices, Apollo 8, and two satellites. The only issue I have is that occasionally, three times in the last five or six months, the Apollo shows up but I do not get sound in apps: i.e., the UAD app meter and control panel it says its working but Logic, MPC, Youtube, etc., don't work. I simply reboot when that has happened and things work again. I had a similar issue every know and then on my Mac Mini so I assumed it is / was an OS / UAD bug.

Update your Motherboard Firmware and your thunderbolt firmware. Double check your settings. Install the latest UAD software. Make sure you have your settings saves a profile on the motherboard BIOS.

Thank you!

By USB/Thunderbolt Security, do you mean in the Peripherals-Thunderbolt section of the BIOS?

If I update the Bios on my Motherboard do I need to redo the entire hack process again or should it work immediately (provided I use your settings above).

Thanks again!

Yes, I mean the USB / Thunderbolt Security in the Peripherals-Thunderbolt section of the BIOS.

If you update the bios you will lose all of your BIOS settings. Save your settings as a profile. Then you can load the profile after the upgrade. This is a must because every time you change something (add memory, hard drive, pcie card, etc) the motherboard resets the bios. If you need my settings I can do some screen shots and post them.

I'm curios as to what video card you went with?

Thank you!

By USB/Thunderbolt Security, do you mean in the Peripherals-Thunderbolt section of the BIOS?

If I update the Bios on my Motherboard do I need to redo the entire hack process again or should it work immediately (provided I use your settings above).

Thanks again!

Hi Jsconiers,

First of all - thanks for sharing your successful build focused ON compatibility with your UAD Apollo.

I'm a 'silver face' Apollo Quad Firewire owner and thus your post caught my interest immediately.

I'm currently running Live 10 on my 17" Mac Book Pro 2011 (16Gb RAM, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO SSD) however I'm tired of thermal issues and need much better performance. I'm torn between either a classic Mac Pro with maxed out CPU upgrades or building my first Hackintosh.

I have a few questions for you which I hope you don't mind answering.

#1 Do you think that the 1394b card you've opted for WILL work with the old-school Firewire UAD Apollo Quad on OSX?
I'd prefer to not *have* to add the TB option card into my Apollo initially (UA charge way too much for it however I will do that upgrade eventually after the Hackintosh build).

#2 If booted in Windows, does your UAD Apollo work properly (TB/Firewire)?

#3 Does overclocking the CPU effect reliability of Apollo operation?

#4 What kind of performance could I expect when running, for example, the super-thirsty Roland Cloud instruments in Live 10 (44.1kHz, 128 sample buffer)? Currently my 17" MBP struggles to run a couple of instances without freezing/unfreezing tracks constantly. I'm hoping to end up with a system where I can freely run many instances in real-time without constantly freezing/unfreezing.

I have 'old-school' PC building skills from long before when I switched to OSX in 2008. I have no doubt PC building has changed substantially after a decade of absence in Mac land, however, I'm hoping I'll manage to replicate your build!

Best Wishes,

JaseFOS

Happy to answer any questions you have. Your current setup with the mac book pro was identical to what I was running before I built my hackintosh except I had the Apollo 8 Thunderbolt. I temporarily “upgraded” to a maxed out Mac mini. Then went directly to the hackintosh. In my opinion forget the classic Mac Pro. Even if you don’t build the fastest possible hackintosh to save funds you’ll come out ahead. I got caught in a situation where my MacBook Pro was having an issues so I chose to the hackintosh.
1. The 1394 card is extremely stable. I have cloned 1TB hard drives and used older disk storage as live audio storage during sessions without a problem. Now I have never used the Apollo interface as I have the black face thunderbolt only Apollo 8, but the interface is very stable.
2. When I boot into Windows 10 my Apollo does fully work. The interface and connected drives works as well.
3. Overclocking doesn’t effect the reliability of Apollo operations. Doesn’t effect the firewire operations either. I think I’ve had one crash since overclocking.
4. I have the apollo 8 and two satellites. Running sessions at 44.1khz or higher with lower buffers, MPC software, logic plugins, 50+ Audio and midi tracks, other pieces of software, still have room. you will have no problems with freezing and unfreezing tracks. Just make sure you have enough memory and a fast SSD drive.

I will give you a couple tips.

1. You don’t need hard core skills to build a computer. I was in the same boat as you and managed just fine. One or two things have changed like power directly to the video card, but you’ll be fine.

2. M.2 SSD Drives are worth it if you can afford it. You can use your 850 drive by installing hackintosh tools on it or cloning it so you don’t have to re-install software.

3. Upgrade to or use 10.13.4 for your build. Very, very stable.

Hi Jsconiers,

First of all - thanks for sharing your successful build focused ON compatibility with your UAD Apollo.

I'm a 'silver face' Apollo Quad Firewire owner and thus your post caught my interest immediately.

I'm currently running Live 10 on my 17" Mac Book Pro 2011 (16Gb RAM, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO SSD) however I'm tired of thermal issues and need much better performance. I'm torn between either a classic Mac Pro with maxed out CPU upgrades or building my first Hackintosh.

I have a few questions for you which I hope you don't mind answering.

#1 Do you think that the 1394b card you've opted for WILL work with the old-school Firewire UAD Apollo Quad on OSX?
I'd prefer to not *have* to add the TB option card into my Apollo initially (UA charge way too much for it however I will do that upgrade eventually after the Hackintosh build).

#2 If booted in Windows, does your UAD Apollo work properly (TB/Firewire)?

#3 Does overclocking the CPU effect reliability of Apollo operation?

#4 What kind of performance could I expect when running, for example, the super-thirsty Roland Cloud instruments in Live 10 (44.1kHz, 128 sample buffer)? Currently my 17" MBP struggles to run a couple of instances without freezing/unfreezing tracks constantly. I'm hoping to end up with a system where I can freely run many instances in real-time without constantly freezing/unfreezing.

I have 'old-school' PC building skills from long before when I switched to OSX in 2008. I have no doubt PC building has changed substantially after a decade of absence in Mac land, however, I'm hoping I'll manage to replicate your build!

Best Wishes,

JaseFOS

Happy to answer any questions you have. Your current setup with the mac book pro was identical to what I was running before I built my hackintosh except I had the Apollo 8 Thunderbolt. I temporarily “upgraded” to a maxed out Mac mini. Then went directly to the hackintosh. In my opinion forget the classic Mac Pro. Even if you don’t build the fastest possible hackintosh to save funds you’ll come out ahead. I got caught in a situation where my MacBook Pro was having an issues so I chose to the hackintosh.
1. The 1394 card is extremely stable. I have cloned 1TB hard drives and used older disk storage as live audio storage during sessions without a problem. Now I have never used the Apollo interface as I have the black face thunderbolt only Apollo 8, but the interface is very stable.
2. When I boot into Windows 10 my Apollo does fully work. The interface and connected drives works as well.
3. Overclocking doesn’t effect the reliability of Apollo operations. Doesn’t effect the firewire operations either. I think I’ve had one crash since overclocking.
4. I have the apollo 8 and two satellites. Running sessions at 44.1khz or higher with lower buffers, MPC software, logic plugins, 50+ Audio and midi tracks, other pieces of software, still have room. you will have no problems with freezing and unfreezing tracks. Just make sure you have enough memory and a fast SSD drive.

I will give you a couple tips.

1. You don’t need hard core skills to build a computer. I was in the same boat as you and managed just fine. One or two things have changed like power directly to the video card, but you’ll be fine.

2. M.2 SSD Drives are worth it if you can afford it. You can use your 850 drive by installing hackintosh tools on it or cloning it so you don’t have to re-install software.

3. Upgrade to or use 10.13.4 for your build. Very, very stable.

Thank you for taking the time to write a really detailed response!

It sounds like we've shared a similar journey (with the exception I'm yet to go for TB upgrade on my Apollo Quad). I think I'll be emulating your build for sure. If you've had no problems with this 1394b card with storage devices, I'm willing to take a chance on it for the Apollo Firewire (if it doesn't work, at worst, I'll just get the TB option board for it).

Looking forward to getting started on this build once I've amassed funds (I'm thinking of selling my mint-condition Sequential Circuits Pro-One to fund it) and start enjoying the power typical of a high-spec 2018 PC rather than shackled by a 2011 overheating piece of crap Mac Book Pro!

Best wishes and thanks for your valuable real-world compatibility info with your UAD gear.

Cheers!

Hello! very interesting thread. I wasn't sure about upgrading my hackintosh, and I know now I wanna do it after reading your post. I have been using mine in my professional recording studio for a few years. I have an SSL PCIe interface that I'd like to swap for a Thunderbolt Aantelope Orion 32, but I wasn't sure whether Thunderbolt would work.

Could you please tell me what steps did you take to have your Thunderbolt working? Did you have to activate via Windows first? Also do you run your main interface through the motherboard Thunderbolt port or through the expansion card?
Many thanks!
Jose

To get the thunderbolt working you will need to change your bios configuration (see first page or if you buy the exact motherboard I can post a profile) and boot up the system in windows one time. I installed windows 10 on a secondary drive. Booted then switched back to mac. you should not have to boot up in windows again if you don't want to. I've been able to add a drive to the thunderbolt chain and it was recognized without booting into windows.

I run my main interface and the satellites off of the port on the expansion card. I have not tried using the port on the motherboard but I have plug a device in and it did come up. Hope that helps.

Hello! very interesting thread. I wasn't sure about upgrading my hackintosh, and I know now I wanna do it after reading your post. I have been using mine in my professional recording studio for a few years. I have an SSL PCIe interface that I'd like to swap for a Thunderbolt Aantelope Orion 32, but I wasn't sure whether Thunderbolt would work.

Could you please tell me what steps did you take to have your Thunderbolt working? Did you have to activate via Windows first? Also do you run your main interface through the motherboard Thunderbolt port or through the expansion card?
Many thanks!
Jose

What motherboard do you have?
i have the asus z370a but if i have to buy a new one i will , just want to make my apollo work bro. thanks for answer me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back