Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 7 - i7-8700K - Nvidia GeForce GT740, Uadio Apollo 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have the asus z370a but if i have to buy a new one i will , just want to make my apollo work bro. thanks for answer me.

Are you using the Thunderbolt 3 add on card? The USB-C port on the motherboard does not support Thunderbolt 3 functions since the motherboard does not have an Intel Thunderbolt chip. So you must have a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card, such as the Asus ThunderboltEX 3.

That's great many thanks!

To get the thunderbolt working you will need to change your bios configuration (see first page or if you buy the exact motherboard I can post a profile) and boot up the system in windows one time. I installed windows 10 on a secondary drive. Booted then switched back to mac. you should not have to boot up in windows again if you don't want to. I've been able to add a drive to the thunderbolt chain and it was recognized without booting into windows.

I run my main interface and the satellites off of the port on the expansion card. I have not tried using the port on the motherboard but I have plug a device in and it did come up. Hope that helps.

Added 10GB Intel X520-DA2 Network adapter. Very fast LAN connections. Must use the Small Tree driver and edit your cards ROM. Don't forget to enable fast SMB connections if your connecting to a NAS Device.

Also looking to build an Apollo 8+Protools 2018 rig.

What brought you to the HP memory?

Can I pass on the graphics card completely?

You mean Team force memory? Mainly because it was on sale and over clock-able.

Yes, you can pass on the graphics card completely and use the video off of the motherboard. If I were you, I would at least get a basic card (~150) that is compatible with High Sierra like a 1050 or RX580 so you can have acceleration. Even 900 series cards would be OK. There is some concern that integrated graphics may not give you video acceleration in apps like Safari, etc. But, if you don't need it...skip it...

Also looking to build an Apollo 8+Protools 2018 rig.

What brought you to the HP memory?

Can I pass on the graphics card completely?

You mean Team force memory? Mainly because it was on sale and over clock-able.

Yes, you can pass on the graphics card completely and use the video off of the motherboard. If I were you, I would at least get a basic card (~150) that is compatible with High Sierra like a 1050 or RX580 so you can have acceleration. Even 900 series cards would be OK. There is some concern that integrated graphics may not give you video acceleration in apps like Safari, etc. But, if you don't need it...skip it...

Excellent. I'll probably just get the same graphics card you have..

and sorry I meant why the HP SSD drive? Its definitely cheaper than the samsung. I was thinking of snabbing the following:

NEW
1: 250GB m.2 SSD boot drive for macOS
2: 250GB 2.5 Inch SATA SSD for Windows
3: 1TB m.2 SSD for music applications, plugins, and libraries
4: 1TB m.2 SSD for sessions, recordings

OLD
5: 2TB airport extreme for backup
6: 1TB external SSD with drums and record samples
7: 64GB SD card for the Live

sounds like I need windows to get thunderbolt right.

Last edited:
So I used the HP M2 drive because it had as good or better performance of the Samsung 960 and was way less expensive. M2 SSD drive prices are dropping and new performance numbers are increasing so you may want to do your research. I would suggest you look into using a larger m2 SSD drive for price, and the fact that when you add M2 drives you start losing performance if your using the same motherboard I am. IE The first M2 drive your good. Second drive you lose sata ports. third drive is shared bandwidth with a pcie card. Check the manual. I get by on two M2 drives and one SATA drive. I'm upgrading my graphics card so if you would like to purchase let me know. :)

Excellent. I'll probably just get the same graphics card you have..

and sorry I meant why the HP SSD drive? Its definitely cheaper than the samsung. I was thinking of snabbing the following:

NEW
1: 250GB m.2 SSD boot drive for macOS
2: 250GB 2.5 Inch SATA SSD for Windows
3: 1TB m.2 SSD for music applications, plugins, and libraries
4: 1TB m.2 SSD for sessions, recordings

OLD
5: 2TB airport extreme for backup
6: 1TB external SSD with drums and record samples
7: 64GB SD card for the Live

sounds like I need windows to get thunderbolt right.

So I used the HP M2 drive because it had as good or better performance of the Samsung 960 and was way less expensive. M2 SSD drive prices are dropping and new performance numbers are increasing so you may want to do your research. I would suggest you look into using a larger m2 SSD drive for price, and the fact that when you add M2 drives you start losing performance if your using the same motherboard I am. IE The first M2 drive your good. Second drive you lose sata ports. third drive is shared bandwidth with a pcie card. Check the manual. I get by on two M2 drives and one SATA drive. I'm upgrading my graphics card so if you would like to purchase let me know. :)

Got it. Considering that, then 3 HP 1TB M.2s makes sense, and no SATA SSD, but would this configuration work with the following:
  • WiFi/Bluetooth card in PCIEX1_1
  • Graphics card in PCIEX16
  • Thunderbolt card in PCIEX1_2
Assuming its the Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB GDDR5 128 Bit PCI-E Graphic Card (GV-N105TOC-4GD) definitely.

Your configuration should work. Your going to lose 3 SATA channels (port 4 and port 5 would be dead using the top M2 slot, port 0 would be dead using the middle slot, but ports1-3 would still work). That should allow you to plug in a Blu-ray drive or SATA hard drive if you want. You are going to lose pcieX4 with the third slot of M2. In my final config I'll end up with two M2 drives(one mac, one windows,) and three of three usable SATA ports used with 2 Blu-ray players and a SATA SSD (or standard) drive for storage. But all of my PCIE slots will work.

It is the GTX 1050 TI OC card. Let me know.

Got it. Considering that then 3 HP 1TB M.2s makes sense, and no SATA SSD, but would this configuration work with the following:
  • Wifi/bluetooth card in PCIEX1_1
  • Graphics card in PCIEX16
  • Thunberbolt card in PCIEX1_2
Assuming its the Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB GDDR5 128 Bit PCI-E Graphic Card (GV-N105TOC-4GD) definitely.

Your configuration should work. Your going to lose 3 SATA channels (port 4 and port 5 would be dead using the top M2 slot, port 0 would be dead using the middle slot, but ports1-3 would still work). That should allow you to plug in a Blu-ray drive or SATA hard drive if you want. You are going to lose pcieX4 with the third slot of M2. In my final config I'll end up with two M2 drives(one mac, one windows,) and three of three usable SATA ports used with 2 Blu-ray players and a SATA SSD (or standard) drive for storage. But all of my PCIE slots will work.

It is the GTX 1050 TI OC card. Let me know.

You make a good point. I don't have a real need for the other ports at the moment, but I'm sure things could come up down the road. Reverting back to the following:

• 1TB M2: sessions, recordings
  • 1TB M2: music applications, plugins, and libraries
  • 1TB SATA SDD: bootdrive 50/50 partition with macOS and Windows
Let me know if this is crazy. Haven't built a PC since the 90s. Will also PM about the graphics card soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back