Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3, i52500k, Rad HD 6850, Lion/SnoLe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

i had the same problem installing 10.7. I changed the settings (in Multibeast) back to iMac and it worked for me. Don't know why MacPro isn't working....

Cheers.

Got it.
I had to boot into single user mode (-s at boot), then mount the drive (instructions appear after booting into single user mode). Then edit the smbios.plist file under /Extras
I changed MacPro5,1 to iMac12,1
After reboot, everything works like a charm.

Ahh forgot to mention that i edited the smbios file with my MacBook Pro (with SATA to USB cable) in the first place. After that i changed the settings with Multibeast.

10.7.1 is also running here. All settings you described in your first post, except i enabled the USB3 (Renessa) driver...

Cheers

Graphics stuck

Hi All,

First want to give big thanks to Frostcall and everyone else for posting their modifications with problems, as it greatly helped me.

I am running almost same build, but have a 2 TB Western Digital HD (WD20EARS) installed. It is possible to use, but you must partition the drive in order to install OS X (I made a 25GB partition). I still have one problem, however.

When I try to boot the computer, I am stuck at 1024x768 resolution. I have seen several other people with this problem, but no one was really come up with a definitive answer. I am running the Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 graphics card, just like OP. I can get off of this by booting to onboard DVI, and then switching to GPU DVI, but it is a pain to have to do that every time I start my computer. Additionally, it thinks there are two monitors attached, so if I move the mouse too far to the left, it disappears off the screen.

Does anyone know of a better fix? Perhaps there is a kext or a separate Multibeast option I need to be selecting? This is my first build, and am very thankful for the support I've received thus far. Hopefully someone can help me again now. Thanks!

Hello I'm thinking of using the xfx radeon hd 6850 will all the outputs work as they should and will the resolution be correct?

Re: Graphics stuck

So you are using the built in card on the motherboard? Are you running 10.6 (SL) or 10.7 (lion)?

I honestly can't remember what resolution I got from the motherboard but from what I remember, the driver support for the built in video is not great. I run the Radeon HD 6850 as my video card.

tennisdude516 said:
When I try to boot the computer, I am stuck at 1024x768 resolution. I have seen several other people with this problem, but no one was really come up with a definitive answer. I am running the Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 graphics card, just like OP. I can get off of this by booting to onboard DVI, and then switching to GPU DVI, but it is a pain to have to do that every time I start my computer. Additionally, it thinks there are two monitors attached, so if I move the mouse too far to the left, it disappears off the screen.

raja1234 said:
Hello I'm thinking of using the xfx radeon hd 6850 will all the outputs work as they should and will the resolution be correct?

My resolution is working fine. As to the outputs, I'm only using 1 monitor so I focused on getting it working. I can say that the Display port works fine and the DVI port works fine. But only the top ones (as mentioned in the first post). The bottom ones I never got working. Then again, I never needed to get any more than that working. There was a post earlier on in this thread where a poster *I think* got more working.

Re: Graphics stuck

Frostcall said:
So you are using the built in card on the motherboard? Are you running 10.6 (SL) or 10.7 (lion)?

I honestly can't remember what resolution I got from the motherboard but from what I remember, the driver support for the built in video is not great. I run the Radeon HD 6850 as my video card.

tennisdude516 said:

I only use the onboard graphics until it gets to my desktop, at which point I switch. I think it might be due to the BIOS setting which automatically refers to onboard VGA. I will change that off of AUTO and try again. I am on 10.6.8. Don't want to try to upgrade to lion right now with school just starting.

I went back and edited the BIOS to graphics priority to PCI first, and everything seems to be working out nicely now.

One last question for anyone, there wouldn't be any way to get Firewire working with this board, would there? I've got a Firewire port on my case and would rather use that for some of my peripherals than unplugging USB devices. Thanks!

ok do you think the outputs will be the same on the xfx model?

quick questions for frostcall.

Going to be doing a similar build but instead using a 6870 with Lion.

Anyway, I noticed in OP you said you got dual working via display port + top DVI. Was this referring to the onboard graphics from the Gigabyte board or to your 6850?

I currently only have an HDMI cable and mini-display port adapter for my monitor as I tossed out the DVI cable lol. So hoping I can get my build started without having to go shopping for a dvi cord, but I'll do it now before my parts come in.

Finally, during the initial boot to load BIOS etc, can I use the GPU to display video or does it need to be first hooked up to the MB video options? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back