Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 - Upgrade from Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, it seems I'm the only one who can't install Mountain Lion on this MOBO. I've made a clean install, everything works fine, but later on, while I rebooted the system, after a bunch lines of code, I've got the white screen only with a busy cursor. That's all. Unibeast doesn't work.

What might be wrong? My hardware:
Motherboard: Z68MA-D2H-B3 (BIOS - F10) with DSDT
Video: Geforce 430
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120 Gb

Could someone help me?

Quick question: After installing your Multibeast options (AND BEFORE RESTARTING), do you see your DSDT.aml file in your Extras folder? If that file is absent, it could be that your DSDT wasn't properly installed - typically due to file extension problems. I have the same mobo and HD and for whatever reason, when I downloaded the DSDT file, it had a hidden .txt extension and wasn't actually being installed.

My Lion also worked fine and then began crashing like this after Multibeast. I had already went back to 10.6.8 before I realized what the problem was and now feel like an utter idiot. Now I'm stranded with 10.6.8 that I can't get xMove/Unibeast to properly copy the downloaded app to a drive. :(

My experience (partial success)

I am using this MB with a AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card. Both listed in this forum, so I had hoped for a smooth ride...

My original SL -> Lion installation was quite difficult. I spent several days getting it right (including trying many options for the App store verify problem) but got there in the end and have been very happy with the result. My first experience of a Mac.

Upgrade to ML:

I followed the Unibeast method.

First problem was a black screen on the install. Turned out this was due to the graphics gard, but I found a fix for this which worked fine.

The installation (strictly an upgrade) went OK until near the end when I had a grey screen, but continuing disk activity. Fortunately I left it alone because I was busy - it eventually did an unattended reboot straight into ML

So far so good.

I then went to Multibeast and applied fixes for sound and network plus a couple of others (blockstorage injector) which I had needed for Lion. Rebooted but network and sound not working.

I tried both the network kexts's without success. then went into s/l/e and deleted an ethernet kext. I removed the network settings from system preferences and rebooted. To be honest I tried a lot of things without properly documenting, but in the end I got the network working with the realtek kext.

Straight away found I had the App store problem back again...

I had run out of time and patience so reverted to Lion.

My thoughts are:

1) does anyone with this MB have a surefire method for getting the onboard network to work OK including App store?

2) I notice a couple of you have used addin network cards. Maybe that is the answer, although I am struggling to find the rosewill card in the UK

3) I am using BIOS F9 or F10 (prob F9 - can't check just now!) - wondered if UEFI would help...

4) The compatibility of the MB and graphic card have been a disappointment (am I expecting too much?) - starting to wonder if I should wait for the next batch of customac recommendations for something more compatible...

Any thoughts please?

Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading but there are 3 things keeping me from starting right away, maybe some of you who upgraded could shed some light:

1) USB 3.0 support. Could anyone using this mobo please confirm that it is working? I really use it everyday.

2) HDMI. Is HDMI working, with audio and everything?

3) Performance. Several people reported lower geekbench scores and sluggish behavior. Is it smooth or sluggish?

Thanks!

1. The Lacie USB 3.0 driver doesn't work with Mountain Lion: https://discussions.apple.com/message/19102734?tstart=0#19102734?tstart=0

2. HDMI Audio should work with your modified DSDT. The only issue I ran into was when I used a modified DSDT with the UEFI BIOS I lost wake from sleep (in ML but not in Lion), otherwise the DSDT file enabled what I needed. I'm not sure with Legacy BIOS if you'll run into that issue or not.

3. Never geekbench tested it so I can't say for sure. Could be slower - not really sure (never noticed it), but it's definitely not sluggish.

Sleep / Wake / Wake on Lan, working w/o Kext
Congradulations! I too have had success, except for sleep. Mine worked great in Lion, but it simply will not go to sleep in ML.
Did you have to do anything special, or did it just work?
Thanks

I am using this MB with a AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card. Both listed in this forum, so I had hoped for a smooth ride...

My original SL -> Lion installation was quite difficult. I spent several days getting it right (including trying many options for the App store verify problem) but got there in the end and have been very happy with the result. My first experience of a Mac.

Upgrade to ML:

I followed the Unibeast method.

First problem was a black screen on the install. Turned out this was due to the graphics gard, but I found a fix for this which worked fine.

The installation (strictly an upgrade) went OK until near the end when I had a grey screen, but continuing disk activity. Fortunately I left it alone because I was busy - it eventually did an unattended reboot straight into ML

So far so good.

I then went to Multibeast and applied fixes for sound and network plus a couple of others (blockstorage injector) which I had needed for Lion. Rebooted but network and sound not working.

I tried both the network kexts's without success. then went into s/l/e and deleted an ethernet kext. I removed the network settings from system preferences and rebooted. To be honest I tried a lot of things without properly documenting, but in the end I got the network working with the realtek kext.

Straight away found I had the App store problem back again...

I had run out of time and patience so reverted to Lion.

My thoughts are:

1) does anyone with this MB have a surefire method for getting the onboard network to work OK including App store?

2) I notice a couple of you have used addin network cards. Maybe that is the answer, although I am struggling to find the rosewill card in the UK

3) I am using BIOS F9 or F10 (prob F9 - can't check just now!) - wondered if UEFI would help...

4) The compatibility of the MB and graphic card have been a disappointment (am I expecting too much?) - starting to wonder if I should wait for the next batch of customac recommendations for something more compatible...

Any thoughts please?

Your post is about a month old so not sure if you found a way to get your system working with ML yet. Just in case you need it, below is the thread I used to get my system installed to ML

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-uefi-bios-all-working-dsdt-not-required.html

Good luck !!!

Remove your graphics card physically from the system and use the onboard until you get your install completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back