Contribute
Register

SUCCESS Dell Inspiron 530 Running El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, old tread, but got my hands on a clean Inspiron 530 with the famous G33M03 mobo. So ordered a X3380 to replace the Core2Quad.... Will try Sierra after work and promise a tutorial ! including how to mod the bios, if needed !

I know, old tread, but got my hands on a clean Inspiron 530 with the famous G33M03 mobo. So ordered a X3380 to replace the Core2Quad.... Will try Sierra after work and promise a tutorial ! including how to mod the bios, if needed !

That would be awesome!! I have several of these boxes and if you find Sierra can get off the ground, would love to hear your solutions.

Anything new? What has been the experience?

Working through the bugs on Sierra, But bios at AHCI (via mod), xeon 3370, dsdt to help sleep, Unibeast installer with zero flags…. Easy Peasy…. I will chime in again when tested 100%

I was going to try this board with a Q9550 Core2Quad. Any reason you like the Xeon better?

The 9x50's are the same as the xeon's..... just the 9550 is 2.8Ghz while the 3370 is 3.0Ghz and the 3380 is 3.16 (biggest for this socket...I think) Are you going to try for a build?

The 9x50's are the same as the xeon's (...) Are you going to try for a build?
yes, I will be attempting that one next - I just purchased the 33GM03 motherboard for that unit, allowing me to use the quad-core CPUs, and will be attempting that probably this weekend.

Hi. I'm in a similar situation. Although, I have the chance to pick up a "refurbished" Skylake based XPS 15 (9550) for around 2/3 of new price, so this make the hardware around 65% less than the price of the similar spec refurbished MacBook Pro from Apple. My other big concern is RAM, as Apple are artificially limiting their hardware to 16GB, and I like my 32GB for additional VMs. That, combined with the 100% Adobe RGB 4K screen, means the Dell is MASSIVELY better value. The cheap price comes via auction, so if I win (I've set myself hard spend limits) then I'll let you know in around a week's time how I'm traveling.

Seems like most of the hardware works pretty well out of the box. Ironically, VT-d must be disabled for the install to work, so I'll be interested to see how much that affects my VM speeds (anyone know?)

This unit is identical to the Dell XPS 420. Having the instructions for this unit would sure be handy. @ramdompcgeek6788 can you post your general instructions here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back