Contribute
Register

[Success] BoomR's 360/VR Production Build > GA-Z170X-DESIGNARE - i7 6700K - NVIDIA GTX 970

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm working on it :). I have same motherboard (F22 BIOS) with 7700K CPU..... see my profile.

No sleep/wake, and no Power Management for me OOB. I'm trying to do Power Management but no results :/
Randomly some artifacts with video.
Randomly need to boot with -v (boot loop).

Still working on it.

Oh man, that's terrible news :( I was considering "Z170 route" instead of "X99 route" because of that precisely topic...
Do you need advice? I have proper PM working in my rig, was a little tricky: SSDT for CPU, some ticks in Clover, etc
But my sleep was working OOB from the very beginning, I always had sleep/wake without PM until recent weeks..

Very frustrated - followed this guide to a T (except the GFX part because I'm using o-nboard; followed Qky for that) - and my system won't even get past the select language screen. I CAN get to Terminal and Disk Utility, but Disk Utility just hangs on "loading disks". I've used multiple USB keys, ports, re-downloaded Sierra (on 12.4), reset CMOS and re-did the recommended BIOS settings multiple times. Windows 10 installed perfectly. I even decided to pull the M2 and see if I could install on a mechanical disk, but same problem.

I'm using the GA-Z170X-Designare (rev. 1.0) mobo, F21, 2x16 Corsair Dominator Platinum. Seriously pulling my hair out.
Make sure you have KernelPM ticked in Clover kernel and kext patches.

Oh man, that's terrible news :( I was considering "Z170 route" instead of "X99 route" because of that precisely topic...
Do you need advice? I have proper PM working in my rig, was a little tricky: SSDT for CPU, some ticks in Clover, etc
But my sleep was working OOB from the very beginning, I always had sleep/wake without PM until recent weeks..

Hi @chorl , gratefull, I follow this guide:
[Quick Guide to Generate a SSDT for CPU Power Management

but no result.

For those interested in getting wake-from-sleep to work here are my DSDT patches and config file. I'll post more details on my build but as I mentioned they're pretty similar to BoomR's. I'll also try and reference the tutorials for each of the following fixes.

NOTABLE ADDITIONS
  1. I remapped the USB ports down to 14 by disabling the internal F_USB1 & F_USB2 USB headers since I don't use them (SSDT-USB.aml).
  2. I have the NVMe patch for my Samsung 960 Evo (SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml).
  3. I also have enabled speed stepping for my 6700K (SSDT-CPU.aml).
  4. (SSDT-GFX1.aml, SSDT-GFX2.aml) are used to change the DSDT identifiers of my two graphics cards, a GTX 660Ti & GT 640. They're both Kepler cards so they work natively without having to use Nvidia's third party drivers. My biggest challenge has been getting the cards working in conjunction with the IGPU Intel 530. The cards work fine but enabling internal graphics is a no go.
WORKS IN PROCESS
  1. Thunderbolt seems to be working but I don't have any devices to test it with.
  2. The USB 3.1 USB-C ports work but there's a performance issue.
  3. Getting the internal graphics working WITH the discrete cards. I have a feeling this may never work.
  4. Then there's the boot on mouse/keyboard thing.
Hi @kDawg,
can you give a idea (any link with info about) for do SSDT files for my system, i want have power management

i followed some tutorials without results.
my BIOS is F22.

thx in advance.

Hi @chorl , gratefull, I follow this guide:
[Quick Guide to Generate a SSDT for CPU Power Management

but no result.

Just one tip, as I recall, full Power Management (i.e. X86Platforplugin loaded, and other typical checks) is not required in order to working sleep/wake. I think your issues maybe came from other flank...I had sleep without DSDT (now I have one), without SSDT (now I have several, for PM, graphics, USB management, etc.), so don't miss the big picture on this :)

I wish you the best luck, I think I'll go into that wagon soon :)

Just one tip, as I recall, full Power Management (i.e. X86Platforplugin loaded, and other typical checks) is not required in order to working sleep/wake. I think your issues maybe came from other flank...I had sleep without DSDT (now I have one), without SSDT (now I have several, for PM, graphics, USB management, etc.), so don't miss the big picture on this :)
That's the point, for my sleep/wake isn't a big deal, i want to attempt to do the great "hacky" can be.
Now the system runs, but i´m not happy with some errors, like, i try to run ("audition trial" app) and close with error, always. :/
My first problem i think is CPU and the second is GPU, USB, audio runs without problems.
and i want learn more about SSDT.

I wish you the best luck, I think I'll go into that wagon soon :)

I will be in the door, to give you the welcome :)

Sorry, probably you misunderstand something, is my fault, english isn't my native language.

2. Download latest Clover installer – run this to update to latest version of Clover. In the process, we need to add/select EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. Without this, the Web driver setting won’t “stick” and will always revert back to macOS driver setting.
This was my disease

Last edited:
Chapter 8: Post-MultiBeast tasks (Video)
As you’ve noticed, using an NVIDIA GPU means that you still have a few more steps to get it working. Here’s what I found to be successful:

1. Install the NVIDIA Web drivers that you stored in your “Other” folder. A reboot is required after install. Note that, until we do a few more tweaks, you’ll need to use nv_disable=1 @ reboot until everything is complete.

2. Download latest Clover installer – run this to update to latest version of Clover. In the process, we need to add/select EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. Without this, the Web driver setting won’t “stick” and will always revert back to macOS driver setting.

3. Open your config.plist in Clover Configurator. Under System Parameters, make sure that Inject kexts = Detect and check the box/select: NvidiaWeb. Also click Boot and select: npci=0x2000. SAVE.

4. Open your config.plist file on your new boot drive EFI, and do a text search for CsrActiveConfig – change the variable to: 0x67 --without this, we cannot complete the next step (this disables security so you can make one final patch for NVIDIA). See this post for more info (it’s the same for Sierra): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-cant-disable-sip-el-capitan.176151/ (revert back to the default when you're done).

5. Because we are using iMac17,1 definition, you will get “black screen” about half-way through boot. See Problem 4 at this link. You will now Use Shilohh's AGDPfix - Please download the version for iMac17,1 –AGDPfix.v1.3.zip and run.

At this point, you should now be able to boot your new system without having to use nv_disable=1. You should be able to boot completely to the desktop with out the “black screen” issue, and the NVIDIA Driver option should be selected in the NVIDIA menu in the upper-right. Ladies & gentlemen, I think we are now good to go!
View attachment 238590 View attachment 238591
**NOTE: The GB score here reflects a modest overclock using the BIOS settings (OC from 4.0 to 4.4 GHz - simply by using one of the BIOS options)
Mahn I love you! :D I did everything right... Just couldn't get the GTX 970 to work... turned out its EmuVariableUefi-64.efi thats missing... took me two days even when my UAD cards are working on THUNDERBOLD DAISY CHAINING! Had to put it manually... Gratitudes mate!
Running a 7700k on Designare board :)

Has anyone with this build updated to 10.12.5?
If so, what issues (if any) did you run into?

I did see the main "macOS 10.12.5 Update" page (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-12-5-update.220866/), but it's unclear what applies to this build and what doesn't (Or I'm just a confused n00b ... :) )

Thanks!

-- Mark

This looks like a very good option. I sometimes have to do video editing. Would sticking in a better video card do the trick? Sorry. I am fairly new to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back