Contribute
Register

[Success] BoomR's 360/VR Production Build > GA-Z170X-DESIGNARE - i7 6700K - NVIDIA GTX 970

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. After a week or so, I started having that issue randomly, too. I think I may have found a fix, though. Make sure to boot -v (verbose) so you can see all the messages that lead up to the KP. Try & take some pics & share. For me, it'll happen a couple 2-3 times in a row after I add or remove new devices. Sometimes booting with -f (I think that's "forget kernel cache") seems to fix. BTW, If I use a standard SSD, I **never** have any KPs on boot. I am suspecting it may be something with the M.2...?? More research...Let's tag-team this one.
  2. Make sure that your speakers are connected to the correct audio port. You need to be connected to the middle one in the row closest to the PCIe slots. Since none of your audio options are grayed out, they should be working. If it wasn't working, there wouldn't be anything showing up on either inputs or outputs.
  3. HDMI audio is a bit of a different beast. Check out Toleda's posts & detailed instructions on how to get this working.
  4. In Clover Configurator > ACPI page, there is a checkbox for a "FixShutdown". That's worked for me & should take care of it.
  5. You will not see anything in the system info about any of the TB hardware if nothing is plugged in & working. This has been a known issue all along. Nothing to worry about.
--B

Thanks for the comments. I'll keep you posted (esp. re #1).
Unfortunately, I think the mobo died the other day and I'm waiting to hear back from Gigabyte.

Here are the symptoms, in case you know about this:

• It's been running since mid-February: Mac OS X and Win10
  • Yesterday, I had run it earlier in the day, and had done some GPU tests with Heaven (Unigine) benchmark -- it was running great!
  • Powered it down
  • When I went to turn it on in the evening, nothing happened. No fans, no nothing - except the little red power light on the motherboard (PW_SW; pg 22)
  • Tried a different PSU, to no avail.
  • Tried the normal "remove video card", "remove RAM", "check for mobo shorts" -- all to no avail

So -- I think it's the motherboard as it's failing before any onboard checks/tests run (the "debug led" never even lights up).

(I know this isn't right place for this discussion - but I would appreciate any pointers/suggestions you might have. :) )

Thanks,

-- Mark

Is your Apollo actually a Thunderbolt interface? (a lot of people around here call all types of audio interfaces "cards.") If so, I think you need to make some memory allocation adjustments in the BIOS > Thunderbolt for the extra resources required by the Apollo. Check the link at the top of this post for a link to @QkY 's build - whose music production build was the baseline for my build. He's got some specific settings to get TB working properly, as he's got 2 Apollo cards daisy chained off one of the TB ports.
Well i just treid changing the values in the bios for the thunderbolt memory, my apollo sound card was connected at first start up, since then i have shut down restarted done everything i can think of and its not working, it likes giving me a little tease, any ideas?

Well i just treid changing the values in the bios for the thunderbolt memory, my apollo sound card was connected at first start up, since then i have shut down restarted done everything i can think of and its not working, it likes giving me a little tease, any ideas?
Did you get this figured out? Did I remember seeing another post from you on the original Music Production thread where my build is based, saying you got it sorted out?

Did you get this figured out? Did I remember seeing another post from you on the original Music Production thread where my build is based, saying you got it sorted out?
Yep card is working, I think it had to do with el capitan as well, my card wasn't even getting seen at clover boot screen, with sierra it seems much more stable, the only settings I have changed is the no security, all the other thunderbolt settings are default! Thanks for the help!

Yep card is working, I think it had to do with el capitan as well, my card wasn't even getting seen at clover boot screen, with sierra it seems much more stable, the only settings I have changed is the no security, all the other thunderbolt settings are default! Thanks for the help!
The "No Security" thing is very important on the Mac side of things (btw in other firmware versions & on the ASUS mobo's with the ThunderboltEX-II and -3 cards, it's called "Legacy mode.")

Update: Also check out this post from @thenightflyer who also has a tip on how to keep TB stable by activating an additional BIOS setting.

Last edited:
I have not... Yet... :mrgreen: This is a separate machine than what I use in my music studio, dedicated to stuff I do in Final Cut Pro X with some special plug-ins that let me edit/produce 360/VR video.

If I have time this weekend, I'll try & download/install PT12 on it. My HD|Native card is in my other machine, unfortunately. But I strongly believe this machine will kick-a** with Pro Tools... of that, I nave no doubt.

Hi all, I have the same rig minus the graphic card (using internal gpu) and Pro Tools works on it right from the first run. I use an RME fireface 400 UC (USB) and PT plays well on it. But I didn't really stress tested it yet. I was just happy to see that audio and iLok worked.

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask but one of the issues I'm still having is shutdown. When I shutdown from the Apple menu 9 out of 10 times the screen turns dark and the spinner keeps spinning until I force shutdown (keep button pressed).

I searched the forum but the issues with shutdown/sleep seem to appear in so many forms it's hard to find the right answer (being a noob like me).

My configuration is pretty basic, no graphic card (just the internal HD530), MultiBeast 9.0.1 and I precisely followed the instructions on "Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC". Only for my network driver I chose the AppleIntelE1000e v3.3.1 instead of the Mausi (I can't remember why I did that though).

My BIOS settings are basic standard as well (XHCI-handoff on, serial port off, no thunderbolt security, no wake on LAN)

Additionally, I updated the MB to F21 and I flashed the Thunderbolt chip to the latest firmware from a Windows installation.

That's all I did - and honestly I'm amazed it worked so well! Even my Thunderbolt Display works perfectly with the Apple TB3-to-2-adapter including display audio, camera, USB and firewire.

Only the shutdown thing is a little annoying... any ideas? Since people in this thread use the same rig I was hoping that someone might ran into the same issue and found a fix...?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask but one of the issues I'm still having is shutdown. When I shutdown from the Apple menu 9 out of 10 times the screen turns dark and the spinner keeps spinning until I force shutdown (keep button pressed).

I searched the forum but the issues with shutdown/sleep seem to appear in so many forms it's hard to find the right answer (being a noob like me).

My configuration is pretty basic, no graphic card (just the internal HD530), MultiBeast 9.0.1 and I precisely followed the instructions on "Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC". Only for my network driver I chose the AppleIntelE1000e v3.3.1 instead of the Mausi (I can't remember why I did that though).

My BIOS settings are basic standard as well (XHCI-handoff on, serial port off, no thunderbolt security, no wake on LAN)

Additionally, I updated the MB to F21 and I flashed the Thunderbolt chip to the latest firmware from a Windows installation.

That's all I did - and honestly I'm amazed it worked so well! Even my Thunderbolt Display works perfectly with the Apple TB3-to-2-adapter including display audio, camera, USB and firewire.

Only the shutdown thing is a little annoying... any ideas? Since people in this thread use the same rig I was hoping that someone might ran into the same issue and found a fix...?

Thanks in advance!
Have you tried the ACPI page > "fixshutdown" option for your config.plist by using Clover Configurator? (sorry if it's a stupid question, but in your details above, I didn't see that one...And sorry if I missed it if you posted that one earlier).

Have you tried the ACPI page > "fixshutdown" option for your config.plist by using Clover Configurator? (sorry if it's a stupid question, but in your details above, I didn't see that one...And sorry if I missed it if you posted that one earlier).

No, but that sounds very promising! I haven't messed with Clover Configurator yet... will try that asap.

Thank you!

Edit: I just realized that I already read about it in the wiki (https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/ACPI): "FixShutdown_0004: This trick may repair shutdown problems for some systems (ASUS)."

Because it says ASUS I didn't try that yet...

Last edited:
Hi all, I have the same rig minus the graphic card (using internal gpu) and Pro Tools works on it right from the first run. I use an RME fireface 400 UC (USB) and PT plays well on it. But I didn't really stress tested it yet. I was just happy to see that audio and iLok worked.

I did a Pro Tools test today, here's my setup:
- Gigabyte GA-Z170X-DESIGNARE with i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz
- internal HD530, simple 1920x1080 display on HDMI
- old (magnetic) 2.5" drive 250GB
- very simple post install, only the standard BIOS changes, MultiBeast recommendations from the general install guides

The Pro Tools side:
- PT HD native 12.7.1 worked ootb, with iLok and RME Fireface UC (USB)
- Big session: 256 audio tracks (each with channel strip), 60 aux ins, lots of busses many of them 7.1
- 20 instances of Altiverb, 20 of Phoenix Surround Reverb
- 2 video tracks

Result: with 512kB buffer size the session ran stable at around 75% total CPU load, UI was still usable.

Works for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back