Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE - Growing Isn't Without Pain

I've successfully installed High Sierra.

It took 1.5 days to do so - I had a few kexts to trouble-shoot and some learning to do.

Procedure:

1. Install the latest version of Clover. Run that for a few days before moving to High Sierra just to be sure it isn't going to cause you trouble.
  2. Backup/clone your system at this point - just in case.
  3. Make sure you have the latest kexts installed. In particular, RehabMan has released (here) a new set of FakeSMC kexts that I've now got in place, replacing my existing sensor kexts with his builds. You'll also need to make sure you have the latest Lilu and Shiki kexts. I did download (and initially installed them), but am not now currently using, Intel/NVidiaGraphicsFixup kexts - they KP'd my system.

Shiki is used for DRM protection in iTunes - you can't play protected content without it.

4. If you wish, backup/clone your system again at this point - just in case.
  5. Make sure you do NOT have the NVidiaWebLibVal kext installed - it WILL KP your system.
  6. You also do not need NVidiaGraphicsFixup if you are running a 1070 card as I am. As noted above, this KP'd my system. I can't vouch for others, but, if you are using the web drivers with this system, you should not need it.
  7. Follow the Direct Update Guide. BE SURE to copy over the apfs.efi as directed!
  8. The tricky part is when you get to the NVidia drivers update. It should automagically update without a hitch except for an error message you will need to "continue" past. I would also update the CUDA drivers before restarting. As an extra added measure, I suggest opening a Terminal window (post driver installation) before restarting and type:

Code:
    sudo touch ./Library/Extensions/ ./System/Library/Extensions/

I do not know if the above is needed, however, it can't hurt to do it.

After installation of the drivers, if you choose not to "touch" the directories, restart your system. If you get a KP, be prepared for some Recovery & Terminal fun.
  9. If all goes smoothly, you should have your system back up and ready to go.
You might notice the Clover labeling is a little odd - mine display as "internal_hfs" (except for "recovery"). I don't know what the "fix" is for that, if any. You can still tell what the drives are by the names as you scroll through them.

Thanks to the mods - @BreBo, and @Stork, who's posts and pointers helped me quite a bit. And whoever it was that posted about the NVidiaWebLibVal being rolled into NVidiaGraphicsFixup and resulting KP if you didn't remove the former.

Hopefully I've not forgotten anything - it has been a long, essentially, 2 days...

Happy Hacking!

And, a benefit of moving to High Sierra, and the newer NVidia drivers, is that Sword Coast Legends now runs as it should - yay! Before it was a bunch of color blocks when actually "in game," rendering it unplayable. :)

What is your System Definition? iMac17,1 or iMac18,3? Or...?

The issue existed when I used 14,2 as well.

OK. I used iMac14,2, and I don't need the other graphics add on kexts. Just wanted to make clear on why you are using those kexts as the 17,1 and 18,3 require those graphics kexts. :thumbup:

To be clear, I no longer need the Intel/NVidiaGraphicsFixup.kext(s). The only kexts I need in that family are Lilu + Shiki for the iTunes DRM issue.

The newest NVidia Web Drivers seem to have solved the other problems (perhaps along with High Sierra).

Though I still don't have HD video via Amazon streaming (can't really see a reason why I shouldn't - darn HDCP!!!!).

I'm still on the same platform and bought me a BCM943602CS card with adaptor... HighSierra tells me handoff is possible and I also ticked the option and so on but it won't let me use handoff... I tried ur fix but it doesn't work... I read I could be due to a not properly configured USB SSDT and somehow I am unable to figure out how to make a working USBInjectAll SSDT... could you upload yours just for letting me try if this is the reason for my broken handoff? :shifty:

First questions - do you have Bluetooth and WiFi enabled? Did you try connecting to your device? If so, what happened afterwards? Do you also have a working iMessage, etc., setup?

Second thing - I'm not sure why an SSDT for the custom USB ports needs to be implemented for that to work, they shouldn't have anything to do with each other, however, I'm far from any expert on that note.

If you want to get that working, I suggest posting in the relevant forum and get clarification on that issue - it is always best to learn before taking the easy road.

Had a question. With this board, is 3 monitor support not possible? Two of my monitors are working but I get a black screen on the 3rd :(. Running an NVIDIA 1080 on High Sierra.

Honestly I have no idea - I am only running one monitor myself.

You might need to run a mix of connections - two could be DP, and the third HDMI. I was recently reading about that on the board but can't recall where.

@Stork or @VioletDragon - any input/thoughts here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back