Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Asus X99 Deluxe - Intel i7 5960x @ 4.2GHz - 64GB RAM - GTX 970

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man...

These X99 motherboards are a conundrum. Both the Asus X99 Deluxe and this MSI X99 SLI look great, until you start reading to reviews on Newegg. Yuck. Failures. PCI connectors coming off the MSI. other stuff not working on the Asus.

I like the MSI because it's cheaper. I'd pay extra for the Asus, if it was higher quality. But after reading the reviews, I can't figure which one is better, or least bad.

Ideas?

I need to buy something tomorrow
If i'd plan to build another hk for sure i would buy again another Asus MB.....the choice depends from your budget. I can tell you that if you want to buy a solid and stable mb so you need an Asus....

Hi thenightflyer,

Thanks for the Asus recommendation. It is the way I'm leaning. I think I've talked myself out of your WS and into the Pro.

Couple of questions:

What's up with that new 950 M2 thingy? I've read that OS X can't use it YET, but it's imminent...? And there might be issues with certain boards i.e. the X99M-WS. Think the Pro will be okay?

I'm going with the 5930K so I can run El Cap. Is this going to cause problems with the installation?
Live been toying with the idea of going with a smaller board. Right now I have a GTX 970. In the future I can see two cards max. Is there a smaller board you'd consider? I've read someone really likes the GA X99M.

Right now my 5+ year old Hack is dead. Hoping it's the MB. That would make me feel better about upgrading. But could be video card. If you have the time, please take a look:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/181022-weirdness-dying-motherboard.html

Thank you, I disabled SpeedStep and here are the results. It's better, but still not right. How is it that you have the above results?
2015-12-14 16.49.26.jpg

Szokeptr & thenightflyer,

Excuse my ignorance, but is USB 3.1 is working? Just trying to know what I'm getting into.

I'm trying to finalize my order so I can get everything Thursday or Friday.

Szokeptr & thenightflyer,

Excuse my ignorance, but is USB 3.1 is working? Just trying to know what I'm getting into.

I'm trying to finalize my order so I can get everything Thursday or Friday.
USB 3.1 still doesn't work on OSX...about your previous post, about the cpu you should not have problems and same with your GPU...i think that GPU choice depends about the purpose you setup a build. For ex. my purpose is to use as DAW, no graphic apps or shooter games so i don't need an huge GPU. I bought a GTX680 because it's native, no need to install nvidia web drivers and no problems when security patches are released. About the M2 drive, read post #18, Stork answers to your question.
My experience with M2 ssd wasn't lucky because i damaged my Samsung SM951 simply trying different overclocking settings. So i decided to use a Sandisk SSD 2,5" instead of the M2 peripherals.
PS sorry about my English language :D

Thank you, I disabled SpeedStep and here are the results. It's better, but still not right. How is it that you have the above results?
View attachment 167488
Maybe you've a different DDR4 amount, maybe it can be because your MB is different....What Mac definitions are you using?

Tnf,

You're English is spot on. Thanks for the information.

So I checked out a USB 3.1 thread. Looks like some PCI cards worked in 10.10.5, but not El Cap. I didn't see anything regarding built in support. So that leads me to believe that if and when El Cap support comes it will be for cards as well.

Meaning the board I buy doesn't have to have 3.1.

I was looking at the X99M-WS, but it's M2 is supposedly slow / throttled.

Is there anything out there comparable to the Deluxe, but cheaper? Or should I bite the bullet and buy it? Need to order ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back