Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Hi @6rollo6

I modified your EFI:

Changes:

1. Renamed updated config.plist to 6rollo6 config.plist
2. Added SSDT-BRG0.aml to ACPI folder
3. Added entry into 6rollo6 config.plist Root > ACPI > Add > 0 in order to enable SSDT-BRG0
4. Added entry into 6rollo6 config.plist Root > DeviceProperties > Add > PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) to enable spoof

I would take the modified EFI, put it on the EFI partition of a test USB, add your serial etc back into the 6rollo6 config.plist, then rename it to config.plist and boot from that USB.

The only thing you need to check is that the ACPI path to your card is the same as other Designaires. It should be. So far, the Gigabyte Z390's seem to all use the same ACPI path. To check, use IORegistryExplorer, then search for GFX0. If you want us to confirm the path, just post a screenshot of the IORegistryExplorer window up here.

Let us know if it works!

Ted
I've installed Big Sur and RX 6900 XT too with Asus Z390 Prime A.

Here is my EFI; if You can see, I'm appreciate.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.5 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I've installed Big Sur and RX 6900 XT too with Asus Z390 Prime A.

Here is my EFI; if You can see, I'm appreciate.

Hi @macmaxxx

The spoof is needed for the Radeon 6900 XTXH cards. Do you have an XT or an XTXH? An XT should work out of the box.

This is a list of XTXH cards:

ASRock 6900xt OC Formula
MSI 6900xt Gaming Z Trio
PowerColor 6900xt Red Devil Ultimate
TOXIC AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Air Cooled
XFX SPEEDSTER MERC319 AMD Radeon RX 6900XT LIMITED BLACK
SAPPHIRE TOXIC AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Extreme Edition

Aorus 6900 XT XTREME WATERFORCE
Asus STRIX LC RX 6900 XT TOP
PowerColor 6900xt Liquid Devil
Sapphire Toxic 6900xt Gaming OC Limited Edition
XFX Speedster Zero

If you have an XTXH card, then I need the output from your Hackintool PCI profile, and the output from IORegistryExplorer (search for GFX0). See @6rollo6 's posts here:

Hackintool output: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-radeon-rx-6800-xt-big-sur.306736/post-2311170

IORegistryExplorer output: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-radeon-rx-6800-xt-big-sur.306736/post-2311496

Ted

Hi @macmaxxx

The spoof is needed for the Radeon 6900 XTXH cards. Do you have an XT or an XTXH? An XT should work out of the box.

This is a list of XTXH cards:

ASRock 6900xt OC Formula
MSI 6900xt Gaming Z Trio
PowerColor 6900xt Red Devil Ultimate
TOXIC AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Air Cooled
XFX SPEEDSTER MERC319 AMD Radeon RX 6900XT LIMITED BLACK
SAPPHIRE TOXIC AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Extreme Edition

Aorus 6900 XT XTREME WATERFORCE
Asus STRIX LC RX 6900 XT TOP
PowerColor 6900xt Liquid Devil
Sapphire Toxic 6900xt Gaming OC Limited Edition
XFX Speedster Zero

If you have an XTXH card, then I need the output from your Hackintool PCI profile, and the output from IORegistryExplorer (search for GFX0). See @6rollo6 's posts here:

Hackintool output: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-radeon-rx-6800-xt-big-sur.306736/post-2311170

IORegistryExplorer output: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-radeon-rx-6800-xt-big-sur.306736/post-2311496

Ted
Thank You for your reply; Radeon RX 6900 XT.

All works very fine except shutdown, PC do not shut down when I click on Apple symbol and "shutdown"

Just want to say, absolutely do NOT install 12.3

The performance bug is there in live release. My performance is literally crippled by update. WoW fps went from 120 to 40 post update, no settings changes, activity monitor shows cpu isn't an issue. it's like apple intentionally crippled the GPU

The performance bug is there in live release. My performance is literally crippled by update. WoW fps went from 120 to 40 post update, no settings changes, activity monitor shows cpu isn't an issue. it's like apple intentionally crippled the GPU
Yeah, I've been running the public betas on a separate drive and the GB metal scores for my 6900XT never got much past 100,000. Even on the RC. I'll be staying with 12.2.1 for a while where I'm getting 180000+.

Yeah, I've been running the public betas on a separate drive and the GB metal scores for my 6900XT never got much past 100,000. Even on the RC. I'll be staying with 12.2.1 for a while where I'm getting 180000+.

I can confirm that my 6900 XTXH has about halved the performance in GeekBench and in Unigene Heaven. Hmm. I wonder why they did this, and if others with real Macs have the same issue.

I mainly use the power of the 6900 over on the Windows side to game. But I hope they can fix this issue in a later update.

I hadn't taken issue seriuosly enough because people were only posting benchmarks. geekbench, opencl etc.

It wasn't until I fired up Metal game, opengl game and found that the computer struggled to get even 60fps on lowest settings when it was gettng 120fps on highest settings before update.

I can't emphasize enough to people of forum this is not just a benchmark issue, it's real application performance and it's reduced by far more than 50%, it's educed by like 75% for me in any game I tested. I even reached out to developer of one of games and they had me run some tests and they showed that a significant amount of unusual time is being spent on both cpu and gpu in the driver...They passed it onto apple who was like "eh, we didn't change anything, all we did was add device support for the new gpu option for mac pro".

That doesn't sound encouraging...But we shall see

I hadn't taken issue seriuosly enough because people were only posting benchmarks. geekbench, opencl etc.

It wasn't until I fired up Metal game, opengl game and found that the computer struggled to get even 60fps on lowest settings when it was gettng 120fps on highest settings before update.

I can't emphasize enough to people of forum this is not just a benchmark issue, it's real application performance and it's reduced by far more than 50%, it's educed by like 75% for me in any game I tested. I even reached out to developer of one of games and they had me run some tests and they showed that a significant amount of unusual time is being spent on both cpu and gpu in the driver...They passed it onto apple who was like "eh, we didn't change anything, all we did was add device support for the new gpu option for mac pro".

Is there any indication that this is a problem on genuine Macs with 6800 or 6900 GPUs? Or is it isolated to Hackintoshes?

I don't want to say much at this point, but if it is the case there has been a performance downgrade for a Mac Pro compatible card right just before the M1 Ultra Mac Studio is released is telling us something...

Let me put it this way. I've certainly known through the years that just before a new macOS arrives, whatever previous OS I had installed on my setup like a Macbook, Mac Mini, Macbook Pro or even iPhone, the system would inexplicably slow down for no reason at all, right just before WWDC season. Apps would run slow, bootup would be slow, browsing would be slow etc. So for Apple to say they didn't change anything is kind of hard to believe imho.

Is there any indication that this is a problem on genuine Macs with 6800 or 6900 GPUs? Or is it isolated to Hackintoshes?
There is a thread on a diff forums, but they don't really say what macs they have. It would not surprise me to be affecting any normal mac using an eGPU of these cards though..but in same right I've seen 0 complaints from any mac using AMD based gpus built in from 5xxx series....the intel mac pro is probably only question since it has some non consumer 6xxx gpu options.

Back