Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

videoproc:
-h264 quicksync 95fps
-h265 quicksync 26fps

-h264 6800 xt 130fps
-h265 6800 xt 56 fps
i think you had a 5700xt before.. Can you compare the two cards? Does 6800xt give really better performance at rendering/converting?

i think you had a 5700xt before.. Can you compare the two cards? Does 6800xt give really better performance at rendering/converting?
canìt compare, sorry. I sold my 5700 xt many months ago

I think that drivers won't be released for RX 6700 XT until RX 6700 non XT will be released, why should they be in hurry to release it if all of that class gpus not available yet...
A couple of weeks ago I read on the Redshift forum that 6700 won't be supported at all.

"We just got word from Apple that the 6700 series of GPUs will *not* be supported! Only the 6800 and 6900 ones will. And, even then, there will be some rules about compatibility."

That is from a Redshift developer.

A couple of weeks ago I read on the Redshift forum that 6700 won't be supported at all.

"We just got word from Apple that the 6700 series of GPUs will *not* be supported! Only the 6800 and 6900 ones will. And, even then, there will be some rules about compatibility."

That is from a Redshift developer.
It's probably true knowing apple. I already had someone talk directly with driver guys at apple about the missing hardware and they were genuinely indifferent to it. They didn't act like they were changing that any time soon. I kinda expected their stance on 6700 already not to change if they have no intent to sell/use them in their mac pro refresh plans, but I had hoped they'd bend on the missing Ids for 6900XT gpus but i don't even think that's gonna happen.

I'm gonna need to find a way to modify my cards bios with diff Ids vs replacing it with an inferior cards bios that will lower clocks. That defeats paying for a high end custom silicon card iwth massive overclock in first place. There has to be a way to keep that performance because if I have to drop to a weaker bios i literally paid extra for a performance boost for absolutely nothing :\

canìt compare, sorry. I sold my 5700 xt many months ago
I meant you worked with 5700xt too. How much better is 6800xt than 5700xt at rendering in your opinion?

It's probably true knowing apple. I already had someone talk directly with driver guys at apple about the missing hardware and they were genuinely indifferent to it. They didn't act like they were changing that any time soon. I kinda expected their stance on 6700 already not to change if they have no intent to sell/use them in their mac pro refresh plans, but I had hoped they'd bend on the missing Ids for 6900XT gpus but i don't even think that's gonna happen.

I'm gonna need to find a way to modify my cards bios with diff Ids vs replacing it with an inferior cards bios that will lower clocks. That defeats paying for a high end custom silicon card iwth massive overclock in first place. There has to be a way to keep that performance because if I have to drop to a weaker bios i literally paid extra for a performance boost for absolutely nothing :\

More likely down to AMD as they are the ones who write the drivers and send them to Apple.

More likely down to AMD as they are the ones who write the drivers and send them to Apple.
They sub contract to apple, and answer directly to apple. work directly on the apple campus. it's one of the reasons apple and nvidia didn't get along, they refused to agree to those terms.

Game devs have regular commication with apple and driver guys.

6800 and 6900. We are probably looking at the last two external graphics cards supported by Apple.

They sub contract to apple, and answer directly to apple. work directly on the apple campus. it's one of the reasons apple and nvidia didn't get along, they refused to agree to those terms.

Game devs have regular commication with apple and driver guys.
Funny you should mention about Apple developers. Seems like Apple is now taking them seriously, because they are planning to build a new dedicated facility at Apple Park just to work with them.

Back