Contribute
Register

Stuck at Attempting System Restart... MACH Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you have installed Clover in both UEFI and Legacy modes.

UEFI mode installs to /EFI on the EFI partition whereas Legacy mode installs to to /EFI on the system partition.
Thanks. When you select a drive to boot from in Clover, is there any way to know whether it’s booting from EFI partition or System partition on that particular drive?

Thanks. When you select a drive to boot from in Clover, is there any way to know whether it’s booting from EFI partition or System partition on that particular drive?
Rename the /EFI folder on the system partition, then if it boots it is booting from the EFI partition.
Alternatively, disable Legacy boot in your BIOS settings.

Rename the /EFI folder on the system partition, then if it boots it is booting from the EFI partition.
Alternatively, disable Legacy boot in your BIOS settings.
Cheers, I thought about the rename but couldn’t work out how I would then be able to log back in successfully to change it back!
So I’ll have to try the BIOS boot thing.

Do you know if I can simply delete everything from /L/E in Finder and copy contents straight over from the working drive /L/E folder? Or do I need to “install” all kexts from the working drive using Hackintool or similar?
Cheers, I thought about the rename but couldn’t work out how I would then be able to log back in successfully to change it back!
So I’ll have to try the BIOS boot thing.

Do you know if I can simply delete everything from /L/E in Finder and copy contents straight over from the working drive /L/E folder? Or do I need to “install” all kexts from the working drive using Hackintool or similar?
No, that’s not how it works. macOS only uses Apple-signed kexts in both L/E and S/L/E. Also EFI partition is only 200MB that so won’t work.

If you are running out of space on your drive, why not clone it to a bigger one using say Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner. It’s a much cheaper and easier (less painful option) than what you are currently trying to achieve.

If you are running out of space on your drive, why not clone it to a bigger one using say Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner. It’s a much cheaper and easier (less painful option) than what you are currently trying to achieve.
Thanks, that’s what I did and have been running the cloned bigger driver for over a year no probs. I kept the older full one for emergency cases like this.
For no provoked reason this cloned drive has had these kernel panics popping up in last few days. Drives me crazy when this can happen out of the blue for no reason. Haven’t touched any settings.
EFI folders are now identical so only thing I can think to do is compare L/E folders kext-by-kext to make cloned drive the same.
Is that a reasonable approach?

Thanks, that’s what I did and have been running the cloned bigger driver for over a year no probs. I kept the older full one for emergency cases like this.
For no provoked reason this cloned drive has had these kernel panics popping up in last few days. Drives me crazy when this can happen out of the blue for no reason. Haven’t touched any settings.
EFI folders are now identical so only thing I can think to do is compare L/E folders kext-by-kext to make cloned drive the same.
Is that a reasonable approach?
Yeah that sounds like a possible thing to do (comparing the two) although what Pilgrim said earlier does make a lot of sense. You need to clean it up. You could also try performing a First Aid to the affected drive and see how that fairs.

That said, you don't seem to have any ACPI's added to your EFI folder, and I see you're missing vital kexts in your folder such as Lilu.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, Shiki.kext, XHCI-200-series-injector.kext and IntelMausiEthernet.kext. What macOS are you trying to run?

I have done a bit of esearch on your motherboard's EFI. Seems like you have some things missing, such as Intel Quicksync decoding. That can be very easy to implement: for the kernel panics you're having you need to add 0x01620007 as your ig-platform-id. This should stabilise your build (confirmed by others). You also need to enable your Intel iGPU in your BIOS, which can run headless to process HVEC decoding (which is what the 07 at the end of the ig-platform-id signifies). To enable it you need to add this in Clover Configurator's Devices section and also check the Inject Intel box in the Graphics section >

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 12.05.08 AM.png

As it's an Ivy Bridge, there's actually guide found for your specific board on the TM site. > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...tup-on-z77x-ud5h-ivy-bridge-i5-rx-560.252663/

I'm fairly familiar with Ivy Bridge as I made a guide on it also before for my Asus P8Z68-V-Pro board before to run on High Sierra with Nvidia GTX 1060. You can also follow my guide for guidance on Multibeast and Nvidia setup selections if you wish >

Thanks Middleman. Good info there which I'll digest and go through. One development is that I tried installing the latest Clover r5134 on the Main drive. Not sure if it was making a difference that I had Clover residing on the UEFI of a different drive to the one I'm trying to boot.
In doing so, I got the attached scrolling error. Searching about this "inode" error it seems it's related to AFPS drives. There was a thread on this here.
Seems I need to insert the correct version of AFPS.efi file in the EFI/drivers folders which I've now done. It is for High Sierra install 10.13.4 (17E202).
The drive which I'm trying to boot (and have been using successfully for last year until now) is a Samsung 860 EVO 1Tb and is formatted AFPS. Unfortunately, putting in the correct version of the AFPS.efi has not solved the problem and I still get the attached continuously scrolling error.

Attachments

• IMG_2938.jpg
    IMG_2938.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 29
I've installed the EFI folder along with config.plist files per the Ivy guide above but was still getting the scrolling "inode" error when trying to boot into my 'Main' Samsung 860 EVO 1Tb drive.
So I tried also just tried installing Clover r5134 (because the Ivy guide was using an older r44xx version of Clover) but now I'm not even getting to the Clover screen. Instead I'm getting the attached error on boot up.
I'm getting no closer to a solution here.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2944.jpg
    IMG_2944.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
I've installed the EFI folder along with config.plist files per the Ivy guide above but was still getting the scrolling "inode" error when trying to boot into my 'Main' Samsung 860 EVO 1Tb drive.
So I tried also just tried installing Clover r5134 (because the Ivy guide was using an older r44xx version of Clover) but now I'm not even getting to the Clover screen. Instead I'm getting the attached error on boot up.
I'm getting no closer to a solution here.
Any ideas?
The problem with using another user's build is that there could be settings that are specific to their build which might cause other issues. That could also mean removing any specific boot settings for say the AMD card boot settings or RAM settings.

If you want use the latest Clover then you must upgrade everything that goes along with it, namely the Lilu & Whatevergreen kexts and whatever versions of drivers that have been updated since. One thing to note in the earlier versions of Clover, Whatevergreen and Shiki.kext were separated. Also Clover version r512x onwards had some issues booting on newer versions of macOS.

I noticed in your original EFI also you didn’t have a system UUID! Did you remove this or was it always like that?
You must always have a system UUID for the setup to boot - try to look for it - this is your DISK's UUID (unique drive identifier), which can be found under the Mount EFI section of Clover Configurator. Look for your Main drive and check the Disk UUID. If not you'll need to generate this with Clover Configurator (not recommended to do if you have an existing OS system installed). You also had some settings in SMBIOS incorrect, such as the Chassis Asset Tag being set to a Macbook Aluminum when you have iMac 14,2 as SMBIOS (so it must be iMac Aluminum). You had also set your CSRActiveConfig to 0x3E7 which is wrong. It should be set to 0x67.

Anyways, for your convenience I have created a version of the High Sierra bootable EFI based on my Ivy Bridge Z68 Asus build which you can try, which worked for me with High Sierra. I've based around some of the main settings I found in your EFI upload such as your SMBIOS and system serial. However you will have to add your own system UUIDs (ie. generate them if you don't have it) into the SMBIOS field first in order to make it work. You will also need to set your RAM settings in the SMBIOS field - I have 16GB installed but it may not fit your setup so you have adjust accordingly to how it is set up on yours. I have omitted some of the APIC settings because you now have the proper SSDTs installed (from the Ivy Bridge guide). In theory it should boot with your setup, because it is using the most common settings for an Ivy Bridge setup.

I have also added in your specific Intel GPU platform (ig-platform-id) and Nvidiaweb detection, so you must have the Intel GPU set to Auto in BIOS for this to work. Give it a try.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.1 MB · Views: 58
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back