Contribute
Register

Stuck at Attempting System Restart... MACH Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Middleman, very helpful. So I've used your EFI build and made the changes as you suggested. I've used the Main drive Disk UUID and inserted it into SmUUID where I'm assuming this is meant to go. I also populated what I think is correct with respect to RAM (4 x 8Gb modules of G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL) but to be honest I've never had an issue with the system seemingly detecting this correctly previously. See snapshot and what the config.plist currently is.
Also, with that blank system UUID and wrong CSRActiveConfig config.plist on my old drive, it is loading fine (it's what I'm typing from here) so not sure it's what's causing my current pain.

In any case, with this new setup and config you just gave me and booting into Main again, I'm still getting the scrolling "inode" error from above, which I guess is still pointing towards an afps driver error?
I do actually note (not that it may mean anything) but the r4359 clover version in your build shows a little "HFS" on the drive images and not "AFPS".
Any ideas what I should try next?
Thanks.

Attachments

• SMBIOS changes.jpg
    SMBIOS changes.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 73
  • config.plist
    8.9 KB · Views: 39
Well disaster has struck and I have bigger problems now.
Adjusted BIOS settings in accordance with this:

A lot were different than what I had. Now, I get a single beep, then double beep on boot up and no screen at all to even allow me to revert BIOS back!!!
PANIC STATIONS! Please help!

Well disaster has struck and I have bigger problems now.
Adjusted BIOS settings in accordance with this:

A lot were different than what I had. Now, I get a single beep, then double beep on boot up and no screen at all to even allow me to revert BIOS back!!!
PANIC STATIONS! Please help!
Please refer to my Z68 guide for the correct BIOS settings. If it doesn't boot, reset the CMOS by removing the battery.

As for setting the RAM and UUID, these have to be set regardless, especially if you want to update to 10.3.6. This is because since High Sierra, macOS' memory requirements and bootup call settings have been far more stricter than previous versions.

Thanks Middleman,
I've been looking further into this error. It seems like it might be something sinister in the form of an AFPS container corruption. See attached Exit Code 8 in First Aid apparently confirms this.
Damn. Looks like I'll have to format my drive and start all over...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 9.04.42 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 9.04.42 pm.png
    48 KB · Views: 37
Thanks Middleman,
I've been looking further into this error. It seems like it might be something sinister in the form of an AFPS container corruption. See attached Exit Code 8 in First Aid apparently confirms this.
Damn. Looks like I'll have to format my drive and start all over...
I see! It doesn't look good unfortunately and I think I may know why...I guess you'd been running it without
the system UUID? That's more likely the issue. The system UUID and board serials are an important part of the macOS system, because they also form your iCloud ID - and if they are corrupted it could alert Apple's servers which could lock you out if anything abnormal occurs. You'd better keep a copy of them (the UUIDs and current board serial) somewhere safe before you decide to reformat.

In any case have you tried to do a Time Machine backup off it?

I see! It doesn't look good unfortunately and I think I may know why...I guess you'd been running it without
the system UUID? That's more likely the issue. The system UUID and board serials are an important part of the macOS system, because they also form your iCloud ID - and if they are corrupted it could alert Apple's servers which could lock you out if anything abnormal occurs. You'd better keep a copy of them (the UUIDs and current board serial) somewhere safe before you decide to reformat.

In any case have you tried to do a Time Machine backup off it?
Nup didn't keep Timemachine backups unfortunately. Just going through re-install now... I'm a bit confused about the UUID and serial number thing. Now that I have reformatted the SSD, the Disk UUID seems to be different, so wouldn't I just use that now instead of the old one? And just generate new serial?

Nup didn't keep Timemachine backups unfortunately. Just going through re-install now... I'm a bit confused about the UUID and serial number thing. Now that I have reformatted the SSD, the Disk UUID seems to be different, so wouldn't I just use that now instead of the old one? And just generate new serial?
Yeah I think it should be fine, just use the new one I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back