Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
...What about enabling TRIM on this setup? I tried, unsuccessfully, to get it going on my wife's machine last week and seemed to go around and around in circles. I'm afraid to turn it on in Multibeast lest I get the grey screen and the stop sign that I saw so many times last week.
If you have a SSD with a SandForce controller, hold off using TRIM until the Yosemite TRIM problems clear up. (SandForce controllers do an excellent job with "garbage collection"). I don't use TRIM with my SSDs whose controllers are by SandForce. That being said, I have not heard of a problem using MultiBeast for Yosemite's TRIM option.

If you have a SSD with a SandForce controller, hold off using TRIM until the Yosemite TRIM problems clear up. (SandForce controllers do an excellent job with "garbage collection"). I don't use TRIM with my SSDs whose controllers are by SandForce. That being said, I have not heard of a problem using MultiBeast for Yosemite's TRIM option.

OK mine and wife's are both the Samsung EVO 840 models (256 GB). I think use Samsung's controller. I understood that if I use the kext-dev-mode=1 kernel flag that would disable Apple's kext signing and I would be able to use Trim Enabler (which I used successfully under Mavericks), but it doesn't work.

I'll try enabling TRIM through Multibeast some time over the weekend and see what happens. I'll report back.

OK mine and wife's are both the Samsung EVO 840 models (256 GB). I think use Samsung's controller. I understood that if I use the kext-dev-mode=1 kernel flag that would disable Apple's kext signing and I would be able to use Trim Enabler (which I used successfully under Mavericks), but it doesn't work...
You're correct. I'm using TRIM with my Samsung 840 EVO SSD.

OK so I ran Multibeast and installed the TRIM patch. Rebooted. After going past the Chimera screen, all I got was a grey screen--no desktop.

Rebooted. Same thing.

Rebooted with "UseKernelCache=No" and got to the desktop.

Found a thread where someone had this problem and they said to move kext-dev-mode=1 to the top of the org.chameleon.boot.plist. I did this, then rebooted without any flags and once again got to the desktop.

System reports that TRIM is working.

EDIT: did the same thing on wife's machine and TRIM is now working there also.

Good to year you're up and running. I have to chuckle - you've come a long way in your knowledge of our Zorro builds since the beginning of your posts this thread. Congratulations! :clap:

IMO, I don't think it matters where in the org.chameleon.boot.plist you put your kernel flags as Chimera reads the whole file and processes each parameter. The big difference is the UseKernelCache=No. :thumbup:

Enjoy!

Good to year you're up and running. I have to chuckle - you've come a long way in your knowledge of our Zorro builds since the beginning of your posts this thread. Congratulations! :clap:

Thanks to you and everyone at TonyMacx86!!

The big difference is the UseKernelCache=No

I only used that once, though. I still have UseKernelCache=Yes in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Stork, may I ask you why you don't want to make use of Clover?

Here I found out a nice success post, but I still need to get some answers from the owner of the thread...

My Zorro's built is up and running with 10.9.4, but I'd like to run Yosemite on top of it. First try (an upgrade) didn't work out like many of you guys...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...lover-yosi-finally-usb-ga-z68x-ud3h-b3-2.html
Why don't I want to use Clover? Because I don't have to use Clover. I installed Yosemite on Son-of-Zorro (see the last paragraph here) using the standard UniBeast/MultiBeast/Chimera method so I see no need to waste time experimenting. Besides Yosemite is not ready for Prime Time, and, as I've stated before, I won't upgrade my production systems , which Zorro is, until the .3 or .4 update when 99.99% of bugs have been fixed. 'Nuff said.

Why don't I want to use Clover? Because I don't have to use Clover. I installed Yosemite on Son-of-Zorro (see the last paragraph here) using the standard UniBeast/MultiBeast/Chimera method so I see no need to waste time experimenting. Besides Yosemite is not ready for Prime Time, and, as I've stated before, I won't upgrade my production systems , which Zorro is, until the .3 or .4 update when 99.99% of bugs have been fixed. 'Nuff said.

Clear enough...

I just updated to 10.10.2 without incident. Everything appears to be working. Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back