Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork, I've successfully created the USB disk with the UEFI flash utility installed. If you are willing to update your bios to UEFI and blaze the trail for me, I'm willing to mail the USB stick to you. Then when you're done you could mail it back.

Otherwise, I'm willing to make the plunge myself. If I get stuck, maybe some of the other guys who have been posting here will help me out...
No, you don't have to sent it to me :lol: just tell me or point me to the guide how it's done. :thumbup:

...I read somewhere that in order to flash the bios from the USB stick I should remove my graphics card. Might not be necessary but may be a good precaution...
Haven't heard that one. But it makes sense. Probably, the updated BIOS defaults to the on-board graphics. If that's the case, you can leave the graphics card in, but connect the on-board DVI or HDMI to your monitor.

There's a YouTube video here that covers the preparation of the USB stick quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-FcRUp2A-E

The guy in the YouTube doesn't tell where to get the hpflash and win98boot, but the second post on this page has download links for both:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...dusb-for/9fd9067a-d327-4ba5-8aca-0f33501b87a4

I stopped after making the stick bootable (i.e. before I put the UEFI files on the USB stick), and shut down the computer and tested to make sure the USB would boot the computer. It booted to a C> prompt. So I shut it down and then copied the bios files over. So, it's ready to go.

Hope that helps.

Will updating the bios to UEFI have any effect on my Windows 7 installation on this machine (I currently dual boot)?

Will updating the bios to UEFI have any effect on my Windows 7 installation on this machine (I currently dual boot)?
I don't know for sure as I don't use Windoze on my hacks.

OK so I got confident enough to go ahead and flash the UEFI bios.

The great news is that my Mavericks install seems to be working exactly as before, and is now (presumably) ready for the Yosemite upgrade.

On the Windows side (which I'm typing this from), when I first booted into it after the UEFI upgrade, it had to download a bunch of drivers and told me to reboot. After the reboot, everything seems to be working just fine.

DOWNSIDE: One downside seems to be that I can no longer overclock my processor with this bios. With the Award bios I was running the processor at 3.9 Ghz but the UEFI won't let me do that for some reason. I can live with that if it's the only tradeoff for being able to run Yosemite. But it would be nice to have that back if anyone knows how.

OK so I got confident enough to go ahead and flash the UEFI bios.

The great news is that my Mavericks install seems to be working exactly as before, and is now (presumably) ready for the Yosemite upgrade...
Good keep me/us informed. No need for a DSDT, then?

No DSDT for me anyway. I don't use sleep and everything else is working fine as far as I can tell.

After updating to UEFI, I didn't load optimized defaults. I just went through and made what adjustments I thought would be necessary and went with that.

Could it be that I can't access my overclock settings because I didn't load the optimized defaults first?

OK loaded optimized defaults and set everything up again but didn't make any difference. Still can't access any of the turbo settings. I click on them and nothing happens. Oh well, I'll revisit it some time but for now I have bigger issues.

I tried updating my Mavericks install to Yosemite using Unibeast, just like I did on Saturday with my wife's Hack. But it hung at 5 minutes remaining! So I powered it down, rebooted using Unibeast and then booted into my boot drive; it acted like I had done a clean Yosemite install and wanted me to enter all kinds of basic settings.

So something went badly wrong.

At the moment I'm cloning my boot drive back from a backup I took right before attempting the update.

Maybe I should have waited longer. But after waiting a considerable time with no HD activity I figured something had gone wrong and I might as well intervene and pull the plug.

I may try it again and just leave it all night if it seems like it gets hung again.

Any advice most welcome as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back