Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be OK to reboot. I believe it's just an informative message, not an OMG! message. See my quickie guide for 10.9.5 here.

OK all done!

Thanks!

Other than flashing the UEFI bios to the motherboard and changing the settings there, what else would I need to do to my existing Mavericks install to get Mavericks working like it is now? Remove the DSDT.aml file from the Desktop? Anything else?

I figure if I can my current setup working with UEFI, I'd like to try installing Yosemite over top of my Mavericks install, like I just did on my wife's machine (hers is a slightly newer board that is already using UEFI, so I have no experience of upgrading bios from Award to UEFI).

Other than flashing the UEFI bios to the motherboard and changing the settings there, what else would I need to do to my existing Mavericks install to get Mavericks working like it is now? Remove the DSDT.aml file from the Desktop? Anything else?
That would be my approach, but I can't make/get a working bootable USB DOS stick. (Mumble, mumble...dunno what I'm doing wrong, here...)

EddyMac said:
I figure if I can my current setup working with UEFI, I'd like to try installing Yosemite over top of my Mavericks install, like I just did on my wife's machine (hers is a slightly newer board that is already using UEFI, so I have no experience of upgrading bios from Award to UEFI).
I did a fresh install of Yosemite on Son-of-Zorro which is my test Z68 system. No problem with the good olde tonymacx86 UniBeast/MultiBeast/Chimera method. iMessage doesn't work, yet. (We trying to get a FileNVRAM update, but it's going slow.) Frankly, I don't care about iMessage 'cause that's what I got an iPhone for. :thumbup:

Note that for using MultiBeast for Yosemite with the Award BIOS (not the UEFI), add to the usual MultiBeast choices:
System > 10.9.5 AppleACPIPlatform Rollback​

Well...if you're struggling, what hope is there for me?? LOL

Is there a limit to the size of USB that can be used? I think I have some old ones around that are like 500 MB or 1 GB. What I have the most of are 16 GB.

Well...if you're struggling, what hope is there for me?? LOL

Is there a limit to the size of USB that can be used? I think I have some old ones around that are like 500 MB or 1 GB. What I have the most of are 16 GB.
:lol: No hope for me...or so my wife tells me.

Minimum USB thumb drive size is 8GB. I've used 16GB thumb drives w/o any issues. I don't think UniBeast checks for any sizes.

I recommend you use Yosemite only for test purposes. It's still buggy. I won't get serious about it until .3 or .4 updates. Besides, I hate the GUI.

Minimum USB thumb drive size is 8GB. I've used 16GB thumb drives w/o any issues. I don't think UniBeast checks for any sizes.
I was meaning the DOS-formatted USB for flashing the UEFI.

I recommend you use Yosemite only for test purposes. It's still buggy. I won't get serious about it until .3 or .4 updates. Besides, I hate the GUI.

I sympathize with that position; however, if you wait for too many point releases you'll be looking at a whole new operating system again before you know it if they keep releasing one a year.

Has anybody, using the Award BIOS (F12) and the tonymax86 UniBeast/MultiBeast procedure (no Clover users replies, please) with more than 8GB of memory, been able to install without the maxmem flag? If so, please share your installation procedure. (If you have the same issue I have, do not reply with a "me, too" post as I want solutions, not brotherhood. :lol: TIA.)

I'm using 8GB of Ram with Yosemite 10.10.1. It's on my S.B. Z68-MA system. I'll try to add
another 8 gigs and see what happens. It was essential to use the 10.9.5 ACPI rollback kext to get it to even boot properly. I'm using the F9 bios and the matching DSDT of course. There are ways to tweak the dock and icons and folders in Yos. to make it look more Mavericks-Like but still keep the good changes to the GUI.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/bat-cave/149013-how-get-3d-dock-back-os-x-yosemite.html

EddyMac, he's use the Beta UEFI BIOS. It's probably time to try this "beta" BIOS which hasn't be updated in a while.

The only version of the UEFI bios I see on the Gigabyte site for both revisions of this board (1.0 and 1.3) was released March 8, 2013!

Stork, I've successfully created the USB disk with the UEFI flash utility installed. If you are willing to update your bios to UEFI and blaze the trail for me, I'm willing to mail the USB stick to you. Then when you're done you could mail it back.

Otherwise, I'm willing to make the plunge myself. If I get stuck, maybe some of the other guys who have been posting here will help me out.

I read somewhere that in order to flash the bios from the USB stick I should remove my graphics card. Might not be necessary but may be a good precaution...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back