Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,
I have a running windows install on my rig, 980ti graphics work great in Windows. When I boot into OS X I have a fuzzy and stretched resolution with 7mb vram. After troubleshooting all the NVIDIA driver side of the problems, I realized that it must be ASUS 3007 BIOS that is messing me up. PastryChef, I tried the BIOS downgrade method you used in your thread, but I get error 368 when trying to flash the old BIOS. No one in the comments of that forum (http://overclocking.guide/flash-back-older-bios-asus-z170) has had recent success when encountering that error code. Now, I am looking forward to my options. It comes down to three schools of thought for the future:
  • The gene totally toast and I should look into getting a different mobo
  • There is a fix I am not aware of to the no native VRAM support on bios 3007, would updating to 32xx fix this?
  • Use a different BIOS downgrade method
If you guys have any workarounds to this dilemma it would be huge. I'm itching to become a member of the Gene Club.

ColbMeister

In Clover Configurator, do NOT check Inject Nvidia.
Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 9.50.32 PM.png

I never upgraded my BIOS beyond 2202. If you've already upgraded, your motherboard is not toast. Here are your options:
  • Use the Clover installer to install EmuvariableUEFI-64 and the RC scripts.
  • Downgrade BIOS back to 2202. (I have never personally done this.)

If you haven't upgraded the BIOS yet, I would recommend against it. Version 2202 works well and has native NVRAM support.

As for the upgrade procedure, I can't remember... I'll have to consult the manual.

Edit:
Found it:
View attachment 240988

Pastrychef, I was able to update the BIOS.
Thank you.

Johan

Attachments

• BIOS_Nieuw.jpg
    BIOS_Nieuw.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 101
  • BIOS_Oud.jpg
    BIOS_Oud.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 106
Is it still true these days that sleep does not work with onboard graphics HD 530 on my build as described in my signature ?
Because sleep does not work as suspected. If I activate sleep, it enters the sleep mode, however if the system wakes up it takes a while, the system reboots and I have to login again.

So does this mean that I definitely need a graphics card ?

Thank you,
Johan

I have no idea! I've never used HD 530 as you can tell by the OP. I recommend you read the HD530 threads in the Graphics forum section as I consider you question off topic for this thread.

Is it still true these days that sleep does not work with onboard graphics HD 530 on my build as described in my signature ?
Because sleep does not work as suspected. If I activate sleep, it enters the sleep mode, however if the system wakes up it takes a while, the system reboots and I have to login again.

So does this mean that I definitely need a graphics card ?

Thank you,
Johan
Sleep doesn't work work intel HD 530 graphics. As well documented.

Thank you Stork and ovb1.

Theres a new bios out, updated and it appears fine. not sure if NVRAM support is working but the rest of my system seems fine, sleep works.
BTW, crossfire doesnt seem to work on skylake platforms, it will hang macOS at video initialization.(yes, I know its not supported but it will show up as a second card and allow you to use it for compute)

To update my Gene installation to 10.12.4, I did the following:
:ch: Backup your current installation using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
:ch: Download the latest Clover; I used Updated Clover Required for Kext Injection in macOS 10.12.4 and run the installer;
:ch: Download the latest version of RehabMan's RehabMan's patch_nvme script;
:ch: Download the Software Update or Combo Update and run it to update to 10.12.4 - the updater will reboot upon completion;
:ch: The Nvidia driver window will open; download and install the latest driver and reboot;
:ch: Create the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_4.kext with Rehabman's patch_nvme per his instructions;
:ch: Move the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_4.kext to the Desktop - make sure this is the only kext file on your Desktop;
:ch: Run KextBeast and install HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_4.kext to the /Library/Extensions/ folder;
:ch: Reboot.

Welcome to Sierra 10.12.4! :thumbup:

I had to install "EmuVariableUefi" to fix flickering screen issue which wouldnt allow my gtx 970 to be utilised.
any idea what causes this? issue has been fixed but this caused hours of headache!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back