Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just checked - fortunately it's installed in UEFI mode so thats good.

I have the Sierra download on my MB Air now so at some point over the weekend I'll give things a whirl. I've got one of the Wifi / BT cards on it's way mentioned at the start of the thread. Sadly I didn't notice until after checkout that it's coming from China so that will be a month - never mind!

Well, that went pretty smoothly to be honest. I didn't see Clover Configurator in the downloads section so I just used Nano to edit it. It looks like I'll need it later though. Also, the mount point for the EFI partition was a bit different (/Volumes/EPS/EFI) but again, was easy to work out.

Just one thing so far, the guide says not to log in to iCloud during part 2 of the install as it messes up iMessage. But it doesn't pick this up later.

I am always a bit wary of messing up my iCloud account since I have Apple Music, some genuine Apple computers / devices and a few other services. Am I OK to login afterwards? Should I follow the idiots guide to iMessage before signing in or after?

Yes, follow the Idiot's Guide to iMessage to get a working serial before you log in to anything.

I've got an odd orange outline around my mouse pointer - I've read someone else with that somewhere but I can't remember if it was in this build thread or someone talking about the new Nvidia drivers. I'm not too fussed as it goes, it looks quite nice IMO. Obviously it's not correct mind.

Thanks for the tip on the serial. I'll get to that tomorrow I think.

[EDIT] Just used Clover Configurator to update Clover to v4049 and all the remaining quirks have gone away. The only thing I can see that doesn't work so far is iBooks but that's well documented with Nvidia Web Drivers.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I need some Help. Followed Your guide fully.
The problem I'm Having is when the Hack go to sleep i cant wake it up.
Restart Button doing nothing. ONLY FULL POWER RESTART.
Any suggestions with this issue?

Hi, Thanks for all the helpful posts, there is a wealth of information here to debug issues with similar builds.

My Asus Maximus Gene viii z170 motherboard currently runs bios version 3007. I used bios version 2202 previously as suggested in this build, but I ran into a similar issue - If I create a usb installation drive using unibeast 7.1.1 (either 2.0 drive or 3.0 drive) and the latest version of sierra and choose UEFI mode -> I'm not able to boot from USB. If I choose legacy mode, I'm able to enter the clover menu, but installation from USB fails with a verbose log of ++++++ symbols. I followed the instructions to update the BIOS settings as suggested. I currently have my graphics card (evga GTX 1050 Ti disabled). If I choose UEFI installation mode, if I boot from USB I am sent back to the BIOS setup screen. I don't know if this is relevant but my SSD (only active drive) has a prefix of p2 in the BIOS boot menu. Any tips on how to get to the sierra installation screen would be highly appreciated.

I'm running an 6700k processor and 16GB ballistix sport 2400 RAM and I'm using a Samsung 250 GB EVO 850 SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back