Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't find any more information on your PSU than "supports Intel's Deep Power Down C6 and C7 modes." So, I'm assuming that it's Haswell and newer processor compatible.

But, it sure sounds like the power supply is the bad guy. Make sure all the motherboard power cables are inserted correctly & firm. Other than trying a new PSU, I'm at a loss for a solution to your problem.

thanks Stork,
i will re check all mobo connections tomorrow.

i took it apart, starting with minimal hardware now, all cables are fine and i am pretty sure it is the onboard GPU. whenever i shut down completely, bios somehow switches back to iGPU (nothing plugged in there though). Makes no difference if i set primary display to auto or PEG. after cold boot Primary Display is set back to auto and of course screen stays black. Any idea on how to force only the gtx 970 to be used??

Last edited:
what i found out so far...
The GTX 970 doesn`t get recognized on cold boot. Might be a Power thing.
Wird thing is, ist worked for almost a year under Windows, so i suspected the Bios update, changes, but it might just coincidence. It doesnt even show in Bios when it doesn`t get recognized (empty slot under Tools) I just ordered a new PSU and a New GPU from Amazon and to track down further.

SOLVED !!!
It really was a faulty GPU... Holy Cow!! so bad when Hardware dies during setup... makes tracking down errors even harder. I replaced the faulty Asus GTX 970 Strix with an EVGA GTX 970 SC and all is just fine !!!!
I AM SO HAPPY!! Thanks again for the detailed guide Stork !!

Woot! I'm glad you found the problem. Welcome to the Club! :thumbup:

Open System Preferences/Display. Hold the Option key and click the Scaled button.

Hello all,

I have used the same hardware as in this thread except I used an i7-6700K processor.
My motherbord was shipped with version 1902 X64 so I will update the BIOS but that does not work at all.
Probably I made a mistake, but I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I used the following procedure:

To use USB BIOS Flashback:
  1. Download the latest BIOS from the ASUS website. I downloaded MAXIMUS-VIII-GENE-ASUS-3201.CAP
  2. Extract and rename the BIOS image le to M8G.CAP. I have not extracted the file because it was downloaded as ASUS-3201.CAP. So I renamed it as M8G.cap
  3. Copy M8G.CAP to the root directory of your USB storage device. I have copied the file to a newly formatted FAT32 8GB usb stick.
  4. Turn off the system and connect the USB storage device to the USB BIOS Flashback port.
  5. Press the USB BIOS Flashback button.
  1. I have switched the computer off.
  2. I have hold the flashback button for 5 seconds.
  3. Button starts flashing blue.
  4. I release the button.
  5. The blue lit button remains flashing three times and remains blue (steady) for ever.
  6. Waited 10 minutes, nothing happens.
What goes wrong here?
Thanks in advanced.
Johan

If you haven't upgraded the BIOS yet, I would recommend against it. Version 2202 works well and has native NVRAM support.

As for the upgrade procedure, I can't remember... I'll have to consult the manual.

Edit:
Found it:
Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 6.48.54 PM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back