Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Integrated Graphics is kinda crappy, if I can use that description, but will get better once Apple makes an computer with Skylake processor. So, we're in a "hurry up and wait" state.

I just updated my Mac Pro 5,1 with a flashed (with EFI VBIOS for Macs) Gigabyte R9 280X in anticipation of prices dropping in 4K/5K monitors this year. So, the 280X is a good choice as it's equivalent to a GTX 680 & GTX 770 according to the Tom's Hardware's Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart. The trick with the 280X in a hack is that it needs to have the port layout of the 280X AMD Reference Design which, IIRC, is one DVI, two mDP and a HDMI ports. Otherwise, it probably won't work. Check out Fl0rian's great guide for AMD cards in the Graphics forum section > http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/171291-radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.html.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with your electrical power outlet differences. I suggest you ask a local computer or hardware store. You'll probably need an adapter that can handle the PSU's wattage.

Make sure your memory is on ASUS's memory support list. I thought my Corsair LPX memory was on the list, but I recheck, after I couldn't get the GENE to use the memory with the BIOS set to use the X.M.P., and it wasn't on the list. However, I get it working with some tweaking one of these days. In the meantime, the memory is running at 2133 MHz.

I noticed that you are considering using the Corsair H60 processor cooler. Why are using a water cooler? (BTW, Tom's Hardware just recently reviewed the top of the line air processor coolers.) IMO, water coolers are not necessary for any computer use except for extreme overclocking. I've found that a good air cooler will work fine with anything I can throw at it. However, I must admit that I'm using a Thermaltake Water2.0 Performer sealed water cooler on my Thunderball system, which MacMan recommended. If he hadn't recommended it, I would have used just an air cooler as I've never taxed any of my systems with my video rendering tasks. If you still want to use a water processor cooler, take a look at the Thermaltake Water3.0 Performer (newer model of the Thermaltake).

Good luck with your build! ...and a belated welcome to the Forum.:clap:

Awesome. Thank you so much for the prompt reply! Really appreciate it.
Will do some more research on power / voltage and visit a few local stores, as well as check out Fl0rian's guide for AMD cards. Do you mind telling me specifically which 280x model you went with?

Will also double check to make sure I pick up compatible RAM! Speaking of RAM, is there any reason you didn't go for memory w/ higher speed? I've noticed the GENE can handle a bit quicker.

About the water cooler, the main reason is actually aesthetics / cable management. A bigger air processor cooler looks like it would take up a lot of space in the case I'm considering, and I thought (naively, perhaps) that a water cooler would free up a lot of room, making everything a bit cleaner. I also intend to overclock, so I thought it might be safer.

Thanks for the warm welcome as well! Awesome community here.

Awesome. Thank you so much for the prompt reply! Really appreciate it.
Will do some more research on power / voltage and visit a few local stores, as well as check out Fl0rian's guide for AMD cards. Do you mind telling me specifically which 280x model you went with?
GIGABYTE GV-R928XOC-3GD REV2 Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-Bit GPU
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4847#ov

I bought the card on eBay. I don't know if it's still being sold. Amazon might have it.
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GDDR5-3GB-2xMini-Graphics-GV-R928XOC-3GD/dp/B00FONITA6

Will also double check to make sure I pick up compatible RAM! Speaking of RAM, is there any reason you didn't go for memory w/ higher speed? I've noticed the GENE can handle a bit quicker.
I thought that was quick enough. I found it on sale for about $80. I don't plan to OC. But, I guess I am if I'm trying to get the motherboard to accept the LPX's X.M.P. parameters. :rolleyes:

About the water cooler, the main reason is actually aesthetics / cable management. A bigger air processor cooler looks like it would take up a lot of space in the case I'm considering, and I thought (naively, perhaps) that a water cooler would free up a lot of room, making everything a bit cleaner. I also intend to overclock, so I thought it might be safer.

Thanks for the warm welcome as well! Awesome community here.
Well, if you're overclocking, get a good processor cooler. Do some research for good memory and read reviews for water coolers. Like I said previously, MacMan recommends the Thermaltake. See the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide, CPU Coolers section.

I thought that was quick enough. I found it on sale for about $80. I don't plan to OC. But, I guess I am if I'm trying to get the motherboard to accept the LPX's X.M.P. parameters. :rolleyes:

Ive bought the Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 2x8GB and the Board sets everything correctly using XMP. The Problem is that it wont wake up from sleep anymore using XMP, the board shows some error code and has to be shut off.
Now ive just set everything manually and it works fine.

Stork,

I just wanted to follow up to your response about my network issue when using the onboard NIC. The kext you posted for me did fix the problem! Thank you.

Hi Stork,

Thanks for the method, I can't get it to work with my setup which is admittedly a bit different from yours as I have a Maximus Impact VIII...

I get either a "could not allocate runtime area" if I add the nv_disable boot flag, or error loading kernel cache 0x9 if I don't do anything.

I have tried to boot without cache, 2 different usb sticks, usb3 and usb2 but am running out of options. I also considered the VMWare workstation route but ElCapitan and the lack of BeamOff makes it unusable.

Please let me know if you can help, and thanks again.

Hi Stork,

Thanks for the method, I can't get it to work with my setup which is admittedly a bit different from yours as I have a Maximus Impact VIII...

I get either a "could not allocate runtime area" if I add the nv_disable boot flag, or error loading kernel cache 0x9 if I don't do anything.

I have tried to boot without cache, 2 different usb sticks, usb3 and usb2 but am running out of options. I also considered the VMWare workstation route but ElCapitan and the lack of BeamOff makes it unusable.

Please let me know if you can help, and thanks again.

I can only think of two things that might help you. First, use only a USB 2 stick. Second, put the UniBeast USB installation thumb drive in the USB BIOS Flashback (Rear Panel) port or the Impact's equivalent. I used that location because it seems that's the "first" USB port to be activated by the installer. Other than those two things, I can't think of any other procedures for you to try.

167552d1449593312t-storks-gene-build-asus-maximus-viii-gene-i5-6600k-gigabyte-gtx-950-gene-bios-real-panel.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'll try that.

Hi Stork,

I have a similar hardware configuration as yours:

- Asus Maximus VIII Gene Z170 motherboard with 32GB DDR4 RAM
- Asus STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 graphics card
- Intel i7-6700K CPU

I tried to install EL Capitan 10.11.3 following your instructions. I have successfully installed El Capitan 10.11.3 with Unibeast, then run MultiBeast 8.1 with SMBIOS=MacPro3,1, followed by Webdriver and then KextBeast. Then select reboot on the Webdriver installation screen.

The current issue is that kernel panic occurs whenever Clover boot flag = nvda_drv=1. The progress bar proceeds around 75% through after which the screen turns black and the system rebooted. However, I can boot in normally with nv_disable=1.

Could you please give me some hints on the issue ? Thanks.

Howard Choi

Hi lads,

I just wanted to report a successful build using a ROG MAXIMUS IMPACT VIII. Thanks to Stork for his help and his wonderful guide. There are a few differences though, but first of all:

1) Use the 1st USB port on your motherboard, as advised (the bottom one)
2) Use a USB2 stick
3) Upgrade or downgrade your BIOS to 1302 and make sure that everything is as per the guide

Then follow the guide with the following exceptions:

1) Use EFI mounter and replace OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi by OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi (easy to find, just google it) in /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI/

2) You will have to remove your graphic card (GTX980TI in my case) to perform the install. nv_disable=1 didn't cut it for me

This will allow the system to boot. Then continue the procedure, plug back your card in and install the nvidia drivers, follow the rest of the guide and restart. audio has failed on my setup and I had to use the following:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308387-el-capitan-realtek-alc-applehda-audio/

Choose audio_realtekALC-110.command.zip and restart

I hope this will help

Has anyone else had issues with video in full screen being strange / choppy / glitchy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back