Contribute
Register

Some but not all USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard suddenly claim not to be able to provide power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H9
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
GTX 970
CPU | Intel core i7 6700 3.4Ghz
Mobo | Gigabyte H170-D3hp
Ram | Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 2133Mhz
GPU | Galax GTX970 4GB
SSD | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
PSU | Thermaltake 600w
OS | 10.11.6

I initially thought this issue was a blown port and while it still could be hardware I've noticed something very odd.

Two days ago I was using a USB 3.0 portable drive doing some colour grading in Da Vinci resolve. Quite suddenly, the mouse stopped working and then a couple of seconds later the system reset itself. I have no idea what happened but when the system rebooted a message popped up and for a tense few seconds I was worried the drive was ruined. The message said something along the lines of 'drive connected to mac but does not have power' or something along those lines but specifically indicating that I should plug the device in to a port that has power.

This was the same port the drive was plugged in to when the reset happened and so I unplugged it and moved it to the port above and it worked. I was curious about the issue today and didn't have any critical work to do so I had a test with another bus powered drive that also previously worked fine. This one also had not encountered any dodginess like the sudden system reset either. I plugged it in to the port that I knew had caused issue and received the same message. I plugged it in to the port immediately adjacent and also received the same message. The thing is the drive is spinning so it *is* receiving power and the fact that it's giving me that message suggested to me that is registering on at least some level with OSx.

Anyone know what I should do?

CPU | Intel core i7 6700 3.4Ghz
Mobo | Gigabyte H170-D3hp
Ram | Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 2133Mhz
GPU | Galax GTX970 4GB
SSD | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
PSU | Thermaltake 600w
OS | 10.11.6

I initially thought this issue was a blown port and while it still could be hardware I've noticed something very odd.

Two days ago I was using a USB 3.0 portable drive doing some colour grading in Da Vinci resolve. Quite suddenly, the mouse stopped working and then a couple of seconds later the system reset itself. I have no idea what happened but when the system rebooted a message popped up and for a tense few seconds I was worried the drive was ruined. The message said something along the lines of 'drive connected to mac but does not have power' or something along those lines but specifically indicating that I should plug the device in to a port that has power.

This was the same port the drive was plugged in to when the reset happened and so I unplugged it and moved it to the port above and it worked. I was curious about the issue today and didn't have any critical work to do so I had a test with another bus powered drive that also previously worked fine. This one also had not encountered any dodginess like the sudden system reset either. I plugged it in to the port that I knew had caused issue and received the same message. I plugged it in to the port immediately adjacent and also received the same message. The thing is the drive is spinning so it *is* receiving power and the fact that it's giving me that message suggested to me that is registering on at least some level with OSx.

Anyone know what I should do?

Have you done any ACPI patches? Attach ioreg. [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg | tonymacx86.com

Hi.

Yes I have an ACPI patch in the config plist as below:

Code:
<key>ACPI</key>
<dict>
    <key>DSDT</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Patches</key>
        <array>
            [B]<dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Rename HDAS to HDEF</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                SERBUw==
                </data>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                SERFRg==
                </data>
            </dict>[/B]
        </array>
    </dict>

I followed the steps in the guide found at this link: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/10-11-0-10-11-3-skylake-starter-guide.179221/ while I was setting up the rig.

I also applied the USB fix marked as step 7 in the guide, but did only the 'quick and dirty' method which they suggested may work without the additional optional steps. I reasoned that if it did work I'd be better off with that method because I wasn't fully confident about taking the other steps.

Attached is an IOreg copy. Thanks very much for helping me, I hope we can figure this out because without those ports my machine is not particularly fit for its intended purpose.

Interestingly, though I'm not fully confident in my ability to interpret the contents of that IOreg document. I've had a glance over the IOUSB ection and I can see that it list a device called 'BUP slim'. That's the hard drive currently not mountable in OSX and not visible in disk utility and which is currently plugged in to one of the two malfunctioning ports.

Attachments

• JamesHackintosh’s Mac Pro.ioreg
    6.3 MB · Views: 147
Hi.

Yes I have an ACPI patch in the config plist as below:

Code:
<key>ACPI</key>
<dict>
    <key>DSDT</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Patches</key>
        <array>
            [B]<dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Rename HDAS to HDEF</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                SERBUw==
                </data>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                SERFRg==
                </data>
            </dict>[/B]
        </array>
    </dict>

I followed the steps in the guide found at this link: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/10-11-0-10-11-3-skylake-starter-guide.179221/ while I was setting up the rig.

I also applied the USB fix marked as step 7 in the guide, but did only the 'quick and dirty' method which they suggested may work without the additional optional steps. I reasoned that if it did work I'd be better off with that method because I wasn't fully confident about taking the other steps.

Attached is an IOreg copy. Thanks very much for helping me, I hope we can figure this out because without those ports my machine is not particularly fit for its intended purpose.

Interestingly, though I'm not fully confident in my ability to interpret the contents of that IOreg document. I've had a glance over the IOUSB ection and I can see that it list a device called 'BUP slim'. That's the hard drive currently not mountable in OSX and not visible in disk utility and which is currently plugged in to one of the two malfunctioning ports.

Renaming HDAS to HDEF is for Audio. You will require more ACPI Patches. Ioreg is corrupt possibly you didn't save copy as or using wrong version. [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg | tonymacx86.com

It would seem that when in situations like this, having the ability to boot into windows to see if the problem persists would be very helpful. If you see the ports work great while in windows, you know its a configuration issue. If you see problems in windows too, it probably is a hardware issue. Seems odd that the mouse would just stop working out of the blue, doing stuff you do regularly. I sure hope these hackintosh systems are not that unstable. What you describe sounds like a hardware failure.

I don't really need a windows boot drive on my hackintosh, but the more I see stuff like this the more I think I need to set one up for the time when something does go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back