Contribute
Register

[Solved] Unable to upgrade to macOS Ventura (OpenCore)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490i Aorus Ultra ITX
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I decided to upgrade my macOS from Monterey 12.5 (21G72) to Ventura 13.0.1. I got an installation file (3,92 GB) from Software Update. Then I installed this update. However, after restarting and launching "Install macOS", it's getting rebooting loop without any process. The basic current macOS booting is working fine with all needed features (e.g. Wi-Fi, iMessage, etc.).

In verbose mode, I see a couple of failures:
"Ota-failure-reason" = "MSU 1013 (Unable to load context options into context.);;1)"
CHECKPOINT FINAL-MONITOR:(FAILURE:1) [EXIT:1] {initial:EXIT(1)[REBOOT]}
No port micro restart (we don't support SMC on this platform)
After that many logs, like "committing to system shutdown", "shutting down", etc.

Note: I've also tried to install the update Monterey 12.6.1 and it had the same issue

Components:
- Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z490I AORUS ULTRA
- CPU: Intel i5-10400
- GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB
- CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 300
- SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
- RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz Ripjaws V (F4-3200C16D-32GVK)
- Power Supplies: Corsair SF600 600W

Bootloader: OpenCore 0.8.6

I've attached `EFI` folder and a couple of screenshots with verbose issues

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    26.2 MB · Views: 169
  • 2022-11-20 20.19.08.jpg
    2022-11-20 20.19.08.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 2022-11-20 20.19.12.jpg
    2022-11-20 20.19.12.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 200
also there is know issue with samsung NVME drives so make sure you wait really long time till it boots (was over 20 minutes on mine before i switched to WD drive)

I resolved this issue as follows:
1.1 Created an external USB drive with the macOS Ventura installer, using this documentation;
1.2 Reboot my PC and boot via "Install macOS Ventura", which is located on the external USB drive;
1.3 The installation process started, but in the next step, I faced the next issue "A required firmware update could not be installed"
1.jpg

2.1 I discovered this and found the warning message inside OpenCore Configurator -> Platform Info, "Your SMBIOS needs to be updated";
2.2 I selected the "Update Firmware Only" checkbox and the firmware was updated automatically.2.png

3. Repeat step 1.2 and the upgrading has been successfully finished :headbang:

3.jpg

After upgrading my macOS Ventura booted with couple of issues (will be resolved soon):
1. Ethernet & Wi-Fi are not working;
2. Kernel panic when Wi-Fi enabled;

I found this article to fix Ethernet & Wi-Fi issues on the macOS Ventura. I did all the steps described in "Option 1" of the article and Ethernet works.
1.png

Unpredictable kernel panic when Wi-Fi enabled is still actual :(

I cleaned up my EFI and attached a new version of it:
1. Deleted "VBoxHFS.efi", because it's redundant and wasn't enabled. I use `HFSPlus.efi";
2. Deleted "VoodooPS2Controller.kext". As I understood it's needed only for laptops and I really don't know why I have added it to my EFI
3. Removed "layout-id" from device properties because it didn't work and now I'm using "alcid=1" in boot arguments instead.
4. Returned back "SecureBootModel" to "Default";
5. Set SMBIOS "ProcessorType" to "0", because after updating firmware it was set to "4105". So the OS shows the wrong processor type

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    27.1 MB · Views: 170
I cleaned up my EFI and attached a new version of it:
1. Deleted "VBoxHFS.efi", because it's redundant and wasn't enabled. I use `HFSPlus.efi";
2. Deleted "VoodooPS2Controller.kext". As I understood it's needed only for laptops and I really don't know why I have added it to my EFI
3. Removed "layout-id" from device properties because it didn't work and now I'm using "alcid=1" in boot arguments instead.
4. Returned back "SecureBootModel" to "Default";
5. Set SMBIOS "ProcessorType" to "0", because after updating firmware it was set to "4105". So the OS shows the wrong processor type
probably do not need:
Code:
<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <key>framebuffer-stolenmem</key>
                <data>AAAwAQ==</data>
if you are using an AMD video card
only needed if you are unable to set DVMT to 64MB in your bios

slide=N is not a valid boot argument

debug=0x100 can be removed as you have now got a working machine (will also increase boot speed with it removed)

Back