Contribute
Register

[Solved] Trouble installing High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
The display issue only occurred after the update. I've been reading the macOS 10.13.4 thread and looks like others had the same issue when it was released. I'll definitely go back and check what you suggested the only one I'm sure of is it's not the cable ;). (somewhat unrelated should I put DVMT higher than 128 if able?)

I want to go back and try what I did before. But I am also going to thoroughly read through Toledo's guide again...you guessed right if you thought I didn't find his guide to be the most user friendly haha.

Good to know about the boot order. I might do that now just because the GPU isn't connected so I have access to my Windows NVME. When you say "ALWAYS make macOS in SATA -0" what do you mean exactly? I need to do some research and/or contact ASUS because I can't seem to change my boot order, but I was hoping these clean installs would take care of that for me. I will definitely pick your brain some more once I have them all installed. Definitely want to be able to chose from CBM.
If you have drives connected to SATA ports. ALWAYS connect your OS X/ MacOS to the first SATA port. In many MoBO's SATA port numbering starts from 0 (zero) not 1. This does not apply to an NVMe disk which is connected to PCIE BUS. Th whole idea is to make Clover-containing macOS Disk to be the first and only drive to boot from BIOS to reach CBM screen and reduce the possibility of Windows or Linux disk booting first in which case the other two won't appear on CBM screen to choose. GRUB can boot Windows in Multiboot with some editing but it cannot boot OS X/macOS . Windows Boot Manager may be able to get Linux with a lot of editing but it cannot boot macOS. Clover in macOS can get the other two initiate the early booting steps and from CBM their own boot loaders will do the rest for these two OSes.
I have not owned any Asus Boards since 2012 to know their ins and outs. Gigabytes are my favorite as they are more amenable to bend for hackintosh without breaking like the other brands. I have used MSI in the past. Intel boards were the toughest for me, I have one Intel Multiboot with HS system which I hardly use or mention! I made it only because it was a difficult project. If you check the Forum, you will see very few successful macOS High Sierra Intel MoBo mentioned. Choosing the hardware is a very important step.

If you have drives connected to SATA ports. ALWAYS connect your OS X/ MacOS to the first SATA port. In many MoBO's SATA port numbering starts from 0 (zero) not 1. This does not apply to an NVMe disk which is connected to PCIE BUS. Th whole idea is to make Clover-containing macOS Disk to be the first and only drive to boot from BIOS to reach CBM screen and reduce the possibility of Windows or Linux disk booting first in which case the other two won't appear on CBM screen to choose. GRUB can boot Windows in Multiboot with some editing but it cannot boot OS X/macOS . Windows Boot Manager may be able to get Linux with a lot of editing but it cannot boot macOS. Clover in macOS can get the other two initiate the early booting steps and from CBM their own boot loaders will do the rest for these two OSes.
I have not owned any Asus Boards since 2012 to know their ins and outs. Gigabytes are my favorite as they are more amenable to bend for hackintosh without breaking like the other brands. I have used MSI in the past. Intel boards were the toughest for me, I have one Intel Multiboot with HS system which I hardly use or mention! I made it only because it was a difficult project. If you check the Forum, you will see very few successful macOS High Sierra Intel MoBo mentioned. Choosing the hardware is a very important step.

Ah okay I was thinking that, but wanted to make sure that wasn't some command to be entered somewhere.... Well I built my machine for the sole purpose to be a gaming machine. I got back into high tier tech support having to work with a variety of computers and laptops of all OS's. So my interested peeked again. I had known about Hackintosh for a while, but never gave it much thought. I started to get curious and reading up. Once I saw a few with my board I got excited and then new it was possible. Of course if I was going to build from scratch again knowing I was going to have a Mac install I'd pick Gigabyte.

@cmn699
Changing SMBIOS to 18,1 fixed my screen flickering problem. I hope to eventually be able to change it back though. Not that it's a big deal, but its nice seeing more appropriate specs when I look at my details. Perhaps once I get the 1070 installed I will be, but who knows.

Off to play with the sound! Ultimately it doesn't make a huge difference since my primary sound is my Hyper X Cloud II headphones. I've read they work with MacOS just fine.

also just realized USBs aren't working anymore, but that seems rather complicated for me and I've got enough functional ports for what I need at the moment. That'll be my project after getting the 1070 to work. Maybe one of the hero build guys can give me insight. I'll ask on their forums or create a new one whichever might be best.

Sound working!
Great. I am glad change of SMBIOS to iMac18,1 resolved the "Screen flickering".
Please post how you managed to solve Audio problem, if possible with screen shots. Make your post to be a helpful resource to others with the issues you faced.:)

Ah yes of course. My bad. So for the sound I reread Toledo’s Post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applehda-realtek-audio-guide.234732/
And went with the multibeast method. Also used the fix for USB and now at east all ports are working. I know it will take some time to fully configure all
Great. I am glad change of SMBIOS to iMac18,1 resolved the "Screen flickering".
Please post how you managed to solve Audio problem, if possible with screen shots. Make your post to be a helpful resource to others with the issues you faced.:)

Ah yes of course my bad. I was just very excited at the time and continued tinkering trying to get the 1070 to work... I created a new post for that https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/1070-with-asus-maximus-ix-hero.249634/#post-1724728

For my sound fix I also simultaneously fixed the USB issue I was having. (albeit I'm not sure if USB 3 is working or not so I'll need to go back and thoroughly read Rehab Man's post about that) What I did was re-read Toleda's post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applehda-realtek-audio-guide.234732/#post-1606764.Toleda the same one you referenced and went with the Multibeast install method. While I was in Multibeast I used the USB fix and at least now all my ports are working. Which is super handy since my case is not in a super convenient location at the moment and front ports are essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back