Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z390 CARBON AC
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Reached step 5 in the guide, when I try and boot Sierra from the HDD it shows the loading bar for about 75% of the way then displays the error icon instead of the apple and just freezes.

Current motherboard settings:
Optimized Defaults
Intel Virtualization Tech ---- Disabled
CFG-Lock -------------------- Disabled​

Here is last recorded error:

Attempt 5.png

Reached step 5 in the guide, when I try and boot Sierra from the HDD it shows the loading bar for about 75% of the way then displays the error icon instead of the apple and just freezes.

Current motherboard settings:
Optimized Defaults
CFG-Lock -------------------- Disabled​

Here is last recorded error:

View attachment 271019

Very good communication with the Forum .:)
  • I reviewed and edited the uploaded screen to show what I suspect is the problem.
  • As shown in the edited image, your Sierra USB installer Flash Disk has stopped transfer of files because it has lost the USB port support from where it was transferring data to the RAM.
  • If it is at the Front Bezel USB 2.0 port (I have presumed you have a USB 2.0 Flash disk), move it to the back USB port.
  • If it is already at the back move it to another USB port more likely to work.
    • If there are other currently unneeded devices like a WebCam or Printer on USB 2.0 port, disconnect and give that port to your Installer USB for now.
See if you can proceed with installation.

Just one more thing:

It is Vt-d in the BIOS that needs to be DISABLED for OS X /macOS installation NOT necessary for VT-x in the BIOS.

Attachments

• USB Installer stopped data transfer because of lost port function.png
    USB Installer stopped data transfer because of lost port function.png
    578.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Very good communication with the Forum .:)
  • I reviewed and edited the uploaded screen to show what I suspect is the problem.
  • As shown in the edited image, your Sierra USB installer Flash Disk has stopped transfer of files because it has lost the USB port support from where it was transferring data to the RAM.
  • If it is at the Front Bezel USB 2.0 port (I have presumed you have a USB 2.0 Flash disk), move it to the back USB port.
  • If it is already at the back move it to another USB port more likely to work.
    • If there are other currently unneeded devices like a WebCam or Printer on USB 2.0 port, disconnect and give that port to your Installer USB for now.
See if you can proceed with installation.

Just one more thing:

It is Vt-d in the BIOS that needs to be DISABLED for OS X /macOS installation NOT necessary for VT-x in the BIOS.

Thank you cmn699! I did have the install drive in the back but I moved it to a different port and that worked just fine! Funny sometimes how simple the solution is :p I thought maybe the drive I was using to install it on was bad but I guess it's still running alright. Now I'm ready for post install thanks to you, much appreciated!

About VT-d vs VT-x, yeah understood, my bios doesn't seem to have the option for VT-d but the install worked after I changed those two settings so I guess it helped.

Thanks again!

Thank you cmn699! I did have the install drive in the back but I moved it to a different port and that worked just fine! Funny sometimes how simple the solution is :p I thought maybe the drive I was using to install it on was bad but I guess it's still running alright. Now I'm ready for post install thanks to you, much appreciated!

About VT-d vs VT-x, yeah understood, my bios doesn't seem to have the option for VT-d but the install worked after I changed those two settings so I guess it helped.

Thanks again!
Your analysis about the USB Flash drive being bad as the cause is quite right. That indeed is another possibility for this type of freeze/annoying long pause. I was hoping it was NOT that, so that you don't have to create a new installer or even go and buy a new flash drive to start all over again. Glad you have passed this hurdle too:).

Good luck with tidying up after the major part of this exhausting saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back