Intel Core I7 3770K
Graphics
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 680
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all!

I'm currently trying to set up a dual boot system using OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and Win 7 on separate HD's but am having some early issues that i cannot work out.

The Build

Mo'bo: ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
CPU: Core I7 3770K
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB 1600mhz
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 680
HD's: Sandisk Extreme SSD 240GB
Western Digital Red 1TB SATA drive 7200RPM
Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid SSD

The Issue

So after viewing several guides on dual-booting i've seen that it doesn't matter which OS to install first, so i went ahead, installed, and got Win 7 up and running on the Seagate drive. Then went ahead and made a bootable USB on my Macbook Pro using disk utility (erased data, partitioned as Mac OS extended (journaled), set as master boot record) and then used Unibeast 2.0.2 and mountain lion dmg downloaded from app store.

Shutdown computer from windows and disconnected the windows drive i'd just set up and additional USB peripherals aside from keyboard and mouse, also plugging DVI cable into the onboard graphics. Plugged USB into one of the far left USB 2.0 ports (as i know USB 3.0 wont work at this stage) and booted into BIOS. Made following BIOS changes:
  • Hit F5 and loaded optimized defaults
  • Under STATA Config ensured SATA Mode selection to AHCI
  • Under System Agent Config/Graphic Config set primary display to iGPU and iGPU memory to 64M
  • Under USB Config set Intel xHCI mode to enabled and EHCI Hand-off to enabled
  • Under Onboard Devices Config set Asmedia USB3.0 Controller to disabled

(Here's where things get weird.....)

• Boot Config: Setting boot priority, USB stick wouldn't show under 'Boot Option #1' so went into Hard Drive BBS Priorities and when choosing boot option #1 i get 2 instances of my USB Stick showing up "SanDisk Cruzer 8.02 (7667mb) and "SanDisk Cruzer 8.02 (96mb) - hmm pretty sure i formatted this drive as a single partion :/

So i go ahead and choose the first one as boot option #1 and the second as #2, save and reboot.

Upon reboot i get the following error:

photo.jpg

So i go back into the BIOS and switch round the boot priority of the SanDisk Cruzer options and recieve the same error.

In an attempt to troubleshoot i've opened up the case and unplugged the BR/DVD drive, and the WD 1TB drive so i just have the SSD plugged in, this time i get the following message:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

At this point i decide to check whether the USB drive is the issue so go back onto the MBP and re-make the unibeast installer from scratch and then plug into my MBP and hit alt on boot up to check that it works. Low and behold it works fine and it loads of OSX utilities.
Back to the computer i try the USB again and have the same issues. Since then i've taken out the GPU to see if that would make any difference and also tried installing to an external SSD but to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice that could help me out? I have no idea what to try next and would really like to get OSX installed soon!

oh and sorry for the length of this post :)

Edit 1

Since posting this i've removed a pre-installed software "U3" that was lurking on the USB stick and successfully used it to boot into a version of linux. The USB therefore seems fine, im wondering if its to do with the latest release of Unibeast: 2.0.2

[HELP!] Setting up DualBoot - Unibeast 2.0.2 cannot boot from USB

I don't have an alternative and was trying to possibly rule out that being the issue.

Realised that with it being a relatively old SanDisk USB drive it comes with a pre-installed utilisation software called "U3" hence the two separate instances of the USB drive showing up in BIOS & Bootlist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back