Contribute
Register

[Solved] Security Update 2017-003 El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually having this issue on a laptop (Lenovo) so that might rule out that theory.

Also my Lenovo and Dell laptop both have the same issue with the update installed.
Definitely rules out the theory.

Just to add some information, I have two machines. One has this problem and the other updated without issues.

- The one that updated without any problem is a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H with an i7-4790K and a GTX 970.

- The one that won't boot anymore is a Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI with an i3-6100 and no discrete graphics.

Both have no Wifi card or anything. The one that works has a firewire PCIe card, but the one that doesn't has nothing special.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask any further details.

haswell works, skylake fails... mine is broadwell... hmmm

I have a haswell and a pci firewire card as well, I've yet to try.

Sounds like a chipset issue. Has anyone tried removing or adding the driver from clover?

Last edited:
So right now it seems we have two options (other than waiting for a fix, if time is not a problem).

-Installing a previous version of El Capitan and security update 2017-002. Not the most safe thing to do, I guess.

-Upgrading to Sierra, which according to some users work.

Is it possible to upgrade to Sierra from USB and keeping all the data when it's not possible to boot into El Capitan or Recovery partitions?

Do you think it will be problematic in a Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI with an i3-6100 and no discrete graphics? I installed El Capitan in that machine because I couldn't install Sierra, but never tried upgrading.

Same problem here - reboot loop after installing the security update on El Capitan.
Configuration:
OSX El Capitan on HP Elitebook 840 G1
CPU: i5-4300u, Memory: 16GB DDR3L
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4400

Booting from recovery is possible, booting via clover on install USB into the SSD installed El Capitan with the security update does not work. Booting into install from USB works.
Tried to clean kext cache and rebuild it as well as rebuild a prelinked kernel.
Neither path helps.
I tend to agree with previous comments that the problem appears to be with the kernel in the security update.

I updated my Asus Maximus VIII Formula based machine today. I always test on a second boot drive installed in my box before applying to the production setup.

Had none of the issues discussed in this thread. After updating the Nvidia drivers and fixing the black screen which comes with every update which changes the OS build number, the machine is running flawlessly.

Cheers, Paul

Same problem here - reboot loop after installing the security update on El Capitan.
Configuration:
OSX El Capitan on HP Elitebook 840 G1
CPU: i5-4300u, Memory: 16GB DDR3L
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4400

Booting from recovery is possible, booting via clover on install USB into the SSD installed El Capitan with the security update does not work. Booting into install from USB works.
Tried to clean kext cache and rebuild it as well as rebuild a prelinked kernel.
Neither path helps.
I tend to agree with previous comments that the problem appears to be with the kernel in the security update.
The specs of my Lenovo laptop are almost identical. I wonder if this is due to our CPU and platform-id we use in clover.

Ive updated two machines now my H97N Server and my 4530s with the same Security Update. Most likely a problem with how Clover is setup.

Hi! This is just what I did:
  1. On a MacBook Downloaded El Capitan from App Store :
    https://itunes.apple.com/at/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12
  2. Create a BootUSB with Unibeast
  3. Install El Capitan on the old one (Choose the same HD. You don't need to format it)
  4. After 18 min the System works again!
Just few adjustment for es: new NVIDIA Webdriver but I didn't lose any data.
I've to try again the Security Update 2017-003 but first a Time Machine Backup!!! ;)

EDIT: Security Update 2017-003 won't work!!!!

Like many others, I've tried this method, but it didn't work. In my case, I had a USB installer drive left over from the original installation (10.11 and Unibeast 6.2.0). The installer boots and runs, but I walked away and was greeted with a dysfunctional Clover screen, not my OS X desktop.

I can really use help from the community here. I admit I haven't been paying as close attention to the updates and problems as I usually do, but this one caught me off-guard. The Security Update seemed to slip in on its own, and in my effort to fix the SOUND and SLEEP issues (which, sadly, I'm used to), something went haywire.

Does anyone know what configurations I should try with Multibeast? Or are there configurations I should use with Clover Boot Manager?

I do have the ability to mount my system drive by connecting a drive dock to my laptop, a MacBook Pro. This way I can access the files, install MultiBeast, etc.

One more questions — and you know I'm desperate here — how do I enter verbose mode on this new version of Clover?! It used to be I just type keys and the commands would appear (GraphicsEnabler=No, and so forth).

Attached are screenshots. The first shows my latest version of Clover, and the result when I try to boot OS X. (Progress bar doesn't even budge). Sorry for the dodgy photos — I'm typing this from my laptop which doesn't have Photoshop!

Attachments

• asset-1.JPG
    asset-1.JPG
    9.1 MB · Views: 142
  • asset-2.JPG
    asset-2.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back