Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let us know if it works!

Hey just an update.

Got the DP switch and it works perfectly.

I have set iGPU as "Primary".
1. I boot into Windows via iGPU (after I select from clover menu) then hit port 2 on the switch once Windows is fully loaded. Display switches to eVGA GTX1080 FTW and all works perfectly. All instant.
2. if I want to go into OS X, I hit Port 1 and boot into OS X. Works as normal.
All works perfectly well.

I bought 2 cheap DP cables as well, total cost for these and switch were $48.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZK2S71W/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

But I think they're out of stock, maybe you can find one somewhere else. It's the cheapest DP switch I've found that doesn't have KVM features like USB ports etc.

Edit:
http://www.lindy-usa.com/2-Port-4K-DisplayPort-Switch-38411.html

I think they have it in stock here.

Obviously once WebDrivers are here, I'll just get rid of this, but the shear fact that I don't have to plug/replug cables are great.

Last edited:
=> Sierra still doesn't enable eGPU display output without hacks, just like El Capitan or Yosemite.

"no system hacks needed", read the article :)

The new Mac Pro GPUs are optimized for rendering.. If you have an older Mac Pro, you can use flashed PCI-E GPUs!

The new Mac Pro GPUs are optimized for rendering.. If you have an older Mac Pro, you can use flashed PCI-E GPUs!

>>With EFI eGPU on nMP complete functionality, no system hacks needed.

If you are using standard graphics card, you need to do hacks.

Yes, it should work as long as the OSX recognized GPU can drive both monitors on its own and you have enough separate inputs/outputs on your GPUs and monitors to handle everything. Each setup will depend on the exact input/output ports you have on your GPU/Monitor. I'm running multiple monitors now with OS X using the 770 on its HDMI/DVI outputs to my 2 screens; Windows uses 2 Displayport outputs on the 1080 to the same 2 monitors.​
Thank you so much for your quick reply! Based on this info, I think it is worth it to buy the extra $140 gtx 950 to ensure OSX works, and then have the 1080 only for Win 10 boot.

That EFI eGPU is a hack! You can't buy them anywhere, MVC & netkas are the only two people on the planet who have them, because they developed that hack and compiled it into an EFI ROM.

Beside that they already had certain hacked GPUs which worked in El Capitan without system modification. But that's just because they included the modification into their hacked ROM, not because of native system support.

=> For the average user Sierra eGPU support isn't any better than El Capitan.

Btw, explanation for that article is in netkas' forum:

Yes, indeed, fooled by my own foolishness.

Turns out that I had missed a memo from Netkas

Most recent test EFI for eGPU gets rid of any and all need to mod system files on nMP 6,1 and Mini 2014 for OSX.

I had still been under the impression that one file needed to be modded, it turns out that the EFI takes care of everything.

So this is still good news, it means that Sierra didn't bust the EFI that worked with El Cap.

Going to talk to N about finalizing it for availability. Oddly, it didn't work with 2012 rMBP or current MBA. So, may need to include other machines or sell separate versions, not sure.

Sorry to get everyone fired up, probably didn't help that I had been up late at the E3 Deus Ex party. Unlimited Booze (and wood fired pizzas) had me a little bleary yesterday.

So let me ask the experts this.
I did upgrade my PC to a 1080 for my Vive. (Coincidentally my hack got fubarred in a system update the day before). Since then I have been running my OSX stuff on my old iMac. BUT, I do still happen to have my old 970 still lying around as well and was thinking of putting it back into my PC build to use as a "physics" card since VR is so demanding that it will eat up anything you throw at it.
From reading these posts I THINK it will be possible for me to run OSX from that as well. (I'm pretty sure a 750w PS will allow it) My question is this. How would I go about configuring such a thing?
I'm running one monitor but it has multiple inputs, (2 DP and one HDMI I think) so I know I can wire each card direct. Any clue as to how to set things up where OSX boots of of the 970 and Windows 10 boots from the 1080? Would love to have everything in one place again and I guess I could run off the IGP if necessary, but my whole purpose in building the Hack in the first place was to have a more powerful Mac than apple was willing to offer.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

WRC

(Just realized I asked the same question about 10 pages back. Sorry for the double post)

Last edited:
So let me ask the experts this.
I did upgrade my PC to a 1080 for my Vive. (Coincidentally my hack got fubarred in a system update the day before). Since then I have been running my OSX stuff on my old iMac. BUT, I do still happen to have my old 970 still lying around as well and was thinking of putting it back into my PC build to use as a "physics" card since VR is so demanding that it will eat up anything you throw at it.
From reading these posts I THINK it will be possible for me to run OSX from that as well. (I'm pretty sure a 750w PS will allow it) My question is this. How would I go about configuring such a thing?
I'm running one monitor but it has multiple inputs, (2 DP and one HDMI I think) so I know I can wire each card direct. Any clue as to how to set things up where OSX boots of of the 970 and Windows 10 boots from the 1080? Would love to have everything in one place again and I guess I could run off the IGP if necessary, but my whole purpose in building the Hack in the first place was to have a more powerful Mac than apple was willing to offer.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

WRC

(Just realized I asked the same question about 10 pages back. Sorry for the double post)

I think it may be possible to have both the GTX1080 and GTX970 in the same system.

I have the Vive as well and to be honest you don't need the GTX970.

The ONLY SteamVR app that I know uses PhysX heavily is nVidia VR Funhouse and even then I can run it at high settings on a single GTX1080 and it looks fine. Apparently it works better with SLI GTX1080, but I really don't think it's necessary, it's already good enough.

The thing about the GTX1080 is that it's a beast of a card. A single card is even overkill for anything that's 1440p. It will annihilate anything at 4k and run at 60fps without a problem. The Vive is not a 4k device, each eye barely hits 1080p. With VR it will have to be constantly running at 90FPS, though.

So to answer your question, I highly recommend you to wait for the 1080 WebDrivers...and macOS Sierra since your system went FUBAR....this means you can do a fresh install of Sierra and 1080 drivers and be on your merry way. Sierra comes out in September. We're not sure about WebDrivers for Pascal, though, but an "educated" guess is a beta driver in August and final one in September. But remember this "educated" guess is just a guess, and we just follow patterns with nVidia, even though it took 6 months for Maxwell drivers to come out.

I personally run iGPU for OS X 10.11.6 and GTX1080 under Windows 10. I use a DP switch ($38) to switch to GTX1080 under Windows and all is well. An elegant solution until WebDrivers come through.

I would put up the 970 on ebay.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah. I guess you are right. Just being impatient I guess. (And Having 2 computer set ups in 2 different rooms)
And, of course, being under the "spell" of the Vive.
The experience is SO unique and new IMO, that I want to wring every possible drop of performance out of the dang thing to further enhance what is already a pretty immersive experience.
I can easily see VR being my own personal money pit for the foreseeable future.
Kind of makes me wonder if Apple is ever going to join in on the fun by releasing anything that can even run it.
So my Hackintosh has gone from being a support system for my Mac Addiction to one for my VR addiction.
I can live with that.
As well as iGPU and and a DP switch until drivers come out.
Thanks for the advice.

WRC

[...] I highly recommend you to wait for the 1080 WebDrivers...and macOS Sierra since your system went FUBAR....this means you can do a fresh install of Sierra and 1080 drivers and be on your merry way. Sierra comes out in September. We're not sure about WebDrivers for Pascal, though, but an "educated" guess is a beta driver in August and final one in September. But remember this "educated" guess is just a guess, and we just follow patterns with nVidia, even though it took 6 months for Maxwell drivers to come out. [...]

My case is different to wcalderini, I'm just going to build a new machine because I need a really powerful GPU, the current Mac Pro is not enough for me at this point, and I'm going to get a Pascal Titan X as soon as I can get one of them. I'll probably get a 6-core i7, which lacks iGPU AFAIK, so I won't be able to do the trick discussed here about Intel GFX for OSX and the Pascal Titan X for the rest of OSs. I'm not so sure as you about NVIDIA releasing Pascal webdrivers. Linux has all the tools I need for my work, so I'm afraid I'll have to leave OSX for a while. I need the machine now, so as soon as I get a new Titan X, I'll build the box.

And before you suggest AMD, no, it's not an option: 8GB isn't enough for me. I really need the 12GB from the Titan X (as the bare minimum). AMD has GPUs with more than 8GB, but they're far more expensive than the Titan X, and with less TFLOPs as well.

My case is different to wcalderini, I'm just going to build a new machine because I need a really powerful GPU, the current Mac Pro is not enough for me at this point, and I'm going to get a Pascal Titan X as soon as I can get one of them. I'll probably get a 6-core i7, which lacks iGPU AFAIK, so I won't be able to do the trick discussed here about Intel GFX for OSX and the Pascal Titan X for the rest of OSs. I'm not so sure as you about NVIDIA releasing Pascal webdrivers. Linux has all the tools I need for my work, so I'm afraid I'll have to leave OSX for a while. I need the machine now, so as soon as I get a new Titan X, I'll build the box.

And before you suggest AMD, no, it's not an option: 8GB isn't enough for me. I really need the 12GB from the Titan X (as the bare minimum). AMD has GPUs with more than 8GB, but they're far more expensive than the Titan X, and with less TFLOPs as well.

Ok then get the Titan X and build a PC and you're set.

I would try to get a mobo that is at least close to supporting OS X so you can use OS X in the future if you want to go to it.

I have the Asus ROG Gene VIII mATX mobo and it's an excellent board. Feature packed, small scale (if you care about size) and the sound card is amazing because it has a DAC/AMP built in and I can plug in my Audeze LCD3 without an external Amp.

But beware, this board doesn't support 6-core Broadwell-E. Afaik, you have to go with X99 and not Z170 for Broadwell-E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back