Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can run the newest E3s (1151) on the X100 series boards but for a 2011-3 (anything 6 core +) you'll need to use a x99 board. Would be nice if Intel would dump some 6 core consumer chips on us in the near future.

Just in case that it is interesting for anyone: I just switched from ATI HD6870 to Nvidia GTX 1070, and as a windows user at first forgot about my hack. Then I simply popped my SSD in the computer and started - without any problems. I admit, the performance is low, and there are some unwanted artifacts when moving the mouse pointer over some active elements (like tabs in safari), and on boot up the screen builds somewhat slowly, but other than that, the system works flawlessly. I cannot really play games (until Sierra, I hope), but the desktop is absolutely OK. I don't even have any problems with scrolling or app switching. In the end I did try to improve things with MultiBeast, but that didn't change anything, for better or for worse.
Now I wait for Sierra and hold my thumbs, hoping it will get *even* better :)

We are into Developer beta 4 of Sierra. Nvidia must atleast release a beta Pascal driver which at least partially enables some acceleration.
Right now macOS is pain to use on my GTX 1070.
I currently have a 1080 GTX installed in a MacPro 2009 (5,1 Upgraded) with macOS 10.12 Beta 3 installed, soon to be upgraded to Beta 4. Currently I install a GT120 to get any output on macOS and use Bootcamp to run Windows 10 on the 1080 GTX. How do you get a video output on your 1070, all be it very slow on your set up? Or is this only possible on a Hackintosh? Also waiting for 368.xx.xx release from nVidia with the hope that it supports Pascal cards.

I've got a GTX 1080 on the way, what kind of performance can I expect with it and nv_disable=1?

Will xcode still work ok? Is it just heavy graphics/youtube etc. that suffer?

I had a 1070 on order and cancelled it.

I'll wait for the dust to settle before committing to Nvidia or AMD when I could be left high and dry if buy either too early.

I've got a GTX 1080 on the way, what kind of performance can I expect with it and nv_disable=1?

Will xcode still work ok? Is it just heavy graphics/youtube etc. that suffer?

Sluggish, no GFX acceleration. No kexts will be loaded.

Use iGPU under OS X.

Otherwise, the GTX1080 is one of the best single GPUs I've ever used. Runs cool, quiet, and the fans turn off when idle (EVGA FTW version). Can also disable all LEDs and save to firmware.

Hey, I just bought one 1070 and it will arrive by the next week (I just work on audio on my hackintosh) I plan to play on my windows partition, the thing is is there any Clover configuration that enables the 1070 to work "normally" even thou it doesn't perform at 100% just to avoid graphical glitches and that stuff? I guess the other option is to wait for macOS Sierra to be out... Is the only option nv_disable=1?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back