Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible in the mean time to use Intel HD graphics with the displayport/hdmi still plugged into the GPU?

Is it possible in the mean time to use Intel HD graphics with the displayport/hdmi still plugged into the GPU?

Yes, I do and it works fine. I have an HDMI switcher with an IR remote that I just use to switch from the 1080 to the iGPU in between boots.

Last edited:

Yes, it works fine here. Surprisingly well, no lag.

This is for Skylake HD530 iGPU.
Make sure to set RAM to 64MB (Mine was set to 32) in BIOS for iGPU so you won't get artifacting. Also this feature may depend on what kind of motherboard you have. Mine is a z170.

Patiently waiting for WebDrivers as I need better CUDA acceleration for certain apps. Also Illustrator CC2015 is slow.

Yes, it works fine here. Surprisingly well, no lag.

This is for Skylake HD530 iGPU.
Make sure to set RAM to 64MB (Mine was set to 32) in BIOS for iGPU so you won't get artifacting. Also this feature may depend on what kind of motherboard you have. Mine is a z170.
That's great news. If I understand well, I just need to plug only one displayport cable from the GTX 1070 to the screen and I will still be able to use the iGPU when booting on Mac OS X while still being able to use the GTX when I boot on Windows without changing any setting?

The question "Can I use GTX 1070 / 1080 and iGPU at the same time" pops up every two pages now, maybe it would be the time to edit the first post or make a sticky at this point ;-)

For those of you with new builds WITHOUT IGPU or with improper connectors, I would recommend the route I took. I have my old GTX 660s lying around from before the upgrade. I simply use those to drive my displays in OS X and the 1080 to drive my displays in Windows. Requires a few more cables, but it's a cheap, elegant solution. If you don't have an older card lying around, grab something off eBay for a few bucks. Unless you're trying to drive a 4K monitor or something, anything will really do.

Last edited:
That's great news. If I understand well, I just need to plug only one displayport cable from the GTX 1070 to the screen and I will still be able to use the iGPU when booting on Mac OS X while still being able to use the GTX when I boot on Windows without changing any setting?

Please check the other posts for one of my work arounds. I use a DisplayPort switch to go between iGPU (for OS X) and GTX1080 (for Windows).

The question "Can I use GTX 1070 / 1080 and iGPU at the same time" pops up every two pages now, maybe it would be the time to edit the first post or make a sticky at this point ;-)

Haha, yes indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back