Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you make it work? I have IGPU set to default and my GTX 1070 set to secondary. When I run Windows 10 on that config it never uses 1070 - the output stays black.

1. Set iGPU as primary in bios.
2. Set "Multi Monitor" in bios (if available).
3. Plug DisplayPort into iGPU port.
4. Turn on computer and enter OS X. Works ok.

If you need to go into windows, keep the DisplayPort in the port.

1. Shut down computer from OS X.
2. Leave DP in iGPU port.
3. Boot into Windows.
4. Login.
5. Since now you're on the desktop and everything is working ok...
6. Switch DisplayPort from iGPU to your 1070, your GPU will be usable now as usual.

If you need to shut down Windows:

1. Unplug DP from GPU
2. Plug back into iGPU port.
3. See desktop.
4. Restart or shutdown and go back into OS X.

Rinse and repeat.

It's pretty simple once you get used to it.
I actually ordered a $34 DisplayPort switch off Amazon so I won't have to plug/replug the port....until the WebDrivers are available.

Last edited:
I actually ordered a $34 DisplayPort switch off Amazon so I won't have to plug/replug the port....until the WebDrivers are available.
Let us know if it works!

I just wanted to piggyback off this and mention that it is also possible have essentially the same setup but instead of using the IGPU, you can use a 2nd dedicated GPU for OS X.

I had been using a 770 gtx for my hackintosh/windows build, and I decided to upgrade to a 1080 for the windows side. The only difference from the setup above is that I set the BIOS to default to the PCIe slot that has the 770 so that OS X picks it up. I also applied the mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2 patch so that I could output 1440p via HDMI. On the Windows side, I basically just disabled the 770 outputs and had windows only output via the 1080 via Displayport.

My monitor also has input auto-detect from sleep, so I don't even need to adjust anything when I boot; each OS only outputs one signal via one of the cables, and my monitor will switch to the active input from sleep mode.

Does this method work for hackintosh with multi monitors using displayport? Are there specific instructions on how to enable one GPU while disabling the other when booting into a certain OS? If this info is accurate we could run a gtx 950 on OSX and gtx 1080 on windows - correct?

1. Set iGPU as primary in bios.
2. Set "Multi Monitor" in bios (if available).
3. Plug DisplayPort into iGPU port.
4. Turn on computer and enter OS X. Works ok.

If you need to go into windows, keep the DisplayPort in the port.

1. Shut down computer from OS X.
2. Leave DP in iGPU port.
3. Boot into Windows.
4. Login.
5. Since now you're on the desktop and everything is working ok...
6. Switch DisplayPort from iGPU to your 1070, your GPU will be usable now as usual.

If you need to shut down Windows:

1. Unplug DP from GPU
2. Plug back into iGPU port.
3. See desktop.
4. Restart or shutdown and go back into OS X.

Rinse and repeat.

It's pretty simple once you get used to it.

Thanks a lot, but it doesn't work on my side. It may be a BIOS problem, I dunno (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH). So when I run Windows the iGPU starts alright but GTX 1070 stays black with a white cursor, like it wasn't initialized or something. To make it work I have to switch it to primary in BIOS and both cards work (but OS X doesn't like this config).

I think that at this point it is a good idea to wait for macOS Sierra to be released, along with the corresponding NVIDIA Web Drivers (beta drivers already released)

There are several external Thunderbolt-connected enclosures for PCI-E cards being made, for Mac Pro, and this will surely drive sales of cards for the platform, and thus NVIDIA to support their cards on OS X.

I think that at this point it is a good idea to wait for macOS Sierra to be released, along with the corresponding NVIDIA Web Drivers (beta drivers already released)

There are several external Thunderbolt-connected enclosures for PCI-E cards being made, for Mac Pro, and this will surely drive sales of cards for the platform, and thus NVIDIA to support their cards on OS X.

I really hope OS X supports hot connecting external GPUs. I plan on buying a new 13" MacBook Pro when ever the Skylake or Kaby Lake ones are released with TB3 and buying an external enclosure for a GPU.

I still hope that Yosemite will also be supported. I have no plans of switching to Sierra. Long live Yosemite! :)

It's possible to connect a eGPU on El Capitan (the latest OS X release, much better than Yosemite), but you have to do some "tricks" with the Terminal.. macOS Sierra should support eGPU natively, so why do not upgrade to a better OS? I'm running it on my rMBP 13" early 2015 (in beta) and it works very fine! ;)

I don't recommend eGPUs.. If you need a dedicated GPU, the best choice is a rMBP 15" with AMD graphic. Pay 200+€ for just an adaptor is insane, and then you'll need to buy a power supply and the GPU!

Does this method work for hackintosh with multi monitors using displayport? Are there specific instructions on how to enable one GPU while disabling the other when booting into a certain OS? If this info is accurate we could run a gtx 950 on OSX and gtx 1080 on windows - correct?

Yes, it should work as long as the OSX recognized GPU can drive both monitors on its own and you have enough separate inputs/outputs on your GPUs and monitors to handle everything. Each setup will depend on the exact input/output ports you have on your GPU/Monitor. I'm running multiple monitors now with OS X using the 770 on its HDMI/DVI outputs to my 2 screens; Windows uses 2 Displayport outputs on the 1080 to the same 2 monitors.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back