Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, and it might never be a go. Who knows ?
afted cuda drivers for osx, it will definitely be a go. it's only a matter of time, I think a few days ;)

afted cuda drivers for osx, it will definitely be a go. it's only a matter of time, I think a few days ;)

Yeah well, I hope you are right pal, but I doubt it's gonna be there in a few days :crazy:
If it is, I'll consider a titan P :lol:

At this point, I'm about to build 2 machines, one for windows (gaming), and one for macOS (everything else)
I too have contemplated this, however -- I do believe that we will see the drivers at 10.12.1 now that CUDA is released. If you remember when Maxwell came out, the wait was like 6 months and everyone was like "they're never gonna release them!" and they did with Yosemite's release. 368.25 was the first 1080/1070 Windows driver, so we're not far off. Hang in there. I have faith in Nvidia, especially since it looks like they're getting into bed with Apple again.

Last edited:
I too am at this point.

Sorry but do you really need to build two machines? What's the point if you use the iGPU for macOS and the eGPU for windows? You could also use 2x eGPU in macOS and just use the compatible one.

Sorry but do you really need to build two machines? What's the point if you use the iGPU for macOS and the eGPU for windows? You could also use 2x eGPU in macOS and just use the compatible one.
Last post edited. There is a large group of power users (enthusiast PC's, hardcore gaming machines, work stations) that don't have an option for iGPU and eGPU is expensive to get working well (unless you're confusing eGPU with dGPU). eGPU is also a horrible idea if you're into gaming and is only worthwhile for a niche group of people.

I considered building a microATX for macOS with parts that are well established in the Hack community and then having my standard x99/1080 SLI machine for gaming and Windows-only rendering/modeling apps. This way I can still ensue with my hedonistic enthusiast addictions on my Win10 machine without worry about breaking it if I make a bleeding-edge purchase and always have a working Hack for things like Adobe, some AutoDesk and all the wonderful Apple mobile cross-compatabilites. But that was all a pipe-dream, hence the edit. I'm more than willing to chill with Win10 until Nvidia releases the next update. Doing something as simple as swapping windows in OS X with the 1080 installed at the moment is just too painful to watch with no GPU support.

Last post edited. There is a large group of power users (enthusiast PC's, hardcore gaming machines, work stations) that don't have an option for iGPU and eGPU is expensive to get working well (unless you're confusing eGPU with dGPU). eGPU is also a horrible idea if you're into gaming and is only worthwhile for a niche group of people.

I considered building a microATX for macOS with parts that are well established in the Hack community and then having my standard x99/1080 SLI machine for gaming and Windows-only rendering/modeling apps. This way I can still ensue with my hedonistic enthusiast addictions on my Win10 machine without worry about breaking it if I make a bleeding-edge purchase and always have a working Hack for things like Adobe, some AutoDesk and all the wonderful Apple mobile cross-compatabilites. But that was all a pipe-dream, hence the edit. I'm more than willing to chill with Win10 until Nvidia releases the next update. Doing something as simple as swapping windows in OS X with the 1080 installed at the moment is just too painful to watch with no GPU support.

Just dual boot.

I'm a power user, and it works well for me.

I use DaVinci Resolve on the Windows side for now since I need CUDA.

Yeah I always preferred EVGA and ASUS parts or CORSAIR for cooling/PSU.
What's the difference? I've got a Gigabyte card at the moment, seems fine to me. I read plenty of reviews before buying and they suggested that the difference between the Pascal cards is negligible - they all overclock to more or less the same degree, which is to say not a huge amount because of Nvidia's built-in limiter.

I had a pair of 670s before that, one from Evga which had a short circuit board and cheapo plastic fan shroud. The other from Asus, which was clearly better built, with a full length board, metal pipes sticking out the side and a heavy metal shroud.

Compared to those two the Gigabyte 1080 is most similar to the Asus, except the shroud is plastic and the logo lights up.

What's the difference? I've got a Gigabyte card at the moment, seems fine to me. I read plenty of reviews before buying and they suggested that the difference between the Pascal cards is negligible - they all overclock to more or less the same degree, which is to say not a huge amount because of Nvidia's built-in limiter.

I had a pair of 670s before that, one from Evga which had a short circuit board and cheapo plastic fan shroud. The other from Asus, which was clearly better built, with a full length board, metal pipes sticking out the side and a heavy metal shroud.

Compared to those two the Gigabyte 1080 is most similar to the Asus, except the shroud is plastic and the logo lights up.

EVGA has arguably the best warranty, I also like the look of their ACX coolers.

But whatever works.

I used to build PCs back in the day all the time and always picked ASUS motherboards, and they still work after 5-8 years without a problem.

I don't think it matters much nowadays as all manufacturers have pretty good quality.

Has anyone had success with having both a Maxwell and a Pascal card? I'd like to use the Maxwell card in macOS and the Pascal card in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back