Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had success with having both a Maxwell and a Pascal card? I'd like to use the Maxwell card in macOS and the Pascal card in Windows.

Yea it works but I'd recommend putting the Maxwell card in the first PCIe slot. I found video output to be inconsistent otherwise as OSX often tried to display to the Pascal card even with no monitors plugged in. Afterwards just disable the Maxwell card in windows unless you want to use both for some reason.

Yea it works but I'd recommend putting the Maxwell card in the first PCIe slot. I found video output to be inconsistent otherwise as OSX often tried to display to the Pascal card even with no monitors plugged in. Afterwards just disable the Maxwell card in windows unless you want to use both for some reason.
Good to hear! Have you had any issues with the Maxwell card in the first slot and the Pascal card in the second slot?

Good to hear! Have you had any issues with the Maxwell card in the first slot and the Pascal card in the second slot?

No issues so far.

This situation is a bit annoying, but I'm hopeful for a driver release.

I have a Gigabyte H97-D3H and a GTX 1080. In the meantime I'm going to just use my spare GTX 780 in the second PCI-E 16x slot (have to drop it down to 4x speeds due to lack of PCI-E lanes) which I guess will be fine for now since it's purely just to display my desktop at 3840x2160 @ 60Hz which the onboard HDMI can't do. Sadly also due to lack of PCI-E lanes, my WiFi/Bluetooth card that I use for iOS handoff/continuity will be disabled.

This situation is a bit annoying, but I'm hopeful for a driver release.

I have a Gigabyte H97-D3H and a GTX 1080 [...]
I have a Pascal Titan X, but I wouldn't say that the lack of Pascal drivers is the most annoying thing. What really worries me is the lack of any OS that could be used as an OS X alternative. If you love the features that OS X inherited from NeXT (such as application bundles -no need to install anymore, just drop the app directory where you wish and while seeing it as a file instead of a directory-, strong binary compatibility -executables built with both frontwards and backwards binary compatibility-, support for fat binaries -multiarchitecture-, protection from copyleft licensing, very nice internationalization support -the language preference list is unique- complete UNIX system, hardware accelerated graphics, powerful and flexible filesystem managing images like if they were part of the FS, and a large etcetera... if you wish all of this, you arrive to the conclusion there's no alternative:

-Windows isn't UNIX and doesn't have any of the OS X features.

-Linux doesn't care about binary compatibility. It's on the copyleft side of the World. It has good hardware OpenGL but doesn't have app bundles, nor fat binaries.

-OpenBSD and NetBSD are on the copyright side of the World, but have perhaps the minimum care for binary compatibility you'll find (their concept is source compatibility and they're very serious about that idea). They completely lack accelerated graphics drivers. Again, no app bundles, no fat binaries.

-FreeBSD is perhaps the closest thing, but, once more, no app bundles, no fat binaries (and this is personal, I admit it: I don't like the BSD daemon logo, in any of its versions, it really puts me down).

-Darwin: Of course, Darwin would be the real thing if Apple had decided to open source more key components. But the released code is quite useless as an operating system.

-GNUstep: This is the only real attempt at supporting OS X features we are used to. Unfortunately, it's a development unrelated to any Operating System. Some will say this is good, because you can install it in many OSs. But it's actually bad, because, do you mean a software developer is going to force customers to install GNUstep in their OSs?

Sorry for my long post, I agree it's off topic, and I don't want the thread to go off topic, I just wanted to express how bad the OS future looks if Apple doesn't drive the Mac in the direction they used to, supporting new hardware -and this of course means supporting new NVIDIA products-

Last edited:
@asiga +1
I have to work with Windows 10 because of the lack of support for Pascal. Although Microsoft has come a long way from a joke of an OS to a somewhat decent OS, I still don't have the kind of productivity like I have on a Mac.

And I would love to leave the fiddling with Hackintoshs behind and have a reasonable priced Mac Pro with recent hardware and do my own GPU, RAM or disks upgrades easily. But Apple has left that direction a few years ago. Really sad.

I too have contemplated this, however -- I do believe that we will see the drivers at 10.12.1 now that CUDA is released. If you remember when Maxwell came out, the wait was like 6 months and everyone was like "they're never gonna release them!" and they did with Yosemite's release. 368.25 was the first 1080/1070 Windows driver, so we're not far off. Hang in there. I have faith in Nvidia, especially since it looks like they're getting into bed with Apple again.

If so, AMD Vega might be about to be released when Pascal mac support is here ! The game of cat and mouse will never end ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back