Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really should be close now, right? With the CUDA drivers already being here it's only a matter of time...

What version of the drivers that are compatible with your GTX 1070? I ask because no one has confirm that the latest Nvidia driver for Sierra has support for the GTX 1000 series cards.

He say it will work just as it does on windows, i assume he is talking once the drivers is updated for pascal

Exactly what I meant, sorry if I confused you, Stork

I already have a fully supported GTX 680 in my hackintosh.
If I add an unsupported GTX 1X00, will its fans spin at max speed all the time ?
If I remove the GTX 680 and just use the IGPU and a GTX 1X00, will its fans spin at max speed all the time ?
Thanks.

I have an EVGA version of the GTX1080 FTW edition and the fans are completely off when under OSX and it's idle.

When in Windows it's still off, unless I start using a 3d application/game, then it spins up.

I don't know how other cards are, but the EVGA ACX3.0 cooler works this way.

I have an EVGA version of the GTX1080 FTW edition and the fans are completely off when under OSX and it's idle.
When in Windows it's still off, unless I start using a 3d application/game, then it spins up.

I run iGPU (HD530) and GTX1080, and when in iGPU (mac side) the 1080 fans don't spin at all.

Thanks guys ! Much appreciated ! :thumbup:
Now I just need to figure out why the hell I have no video output from the motherboard until the OS (win/macOS) is loaded.
If anyone has an idea, please share it ! :banghead: :lol:

Mine is a 1070 Gigabyte G1 Gaming. I have a tool to configure the speed of the fans based on temperature or set always enable at some speed. I don't think that some like this will exist for Sierra...

That's exactly how they supposed to work. "Passive cooling unless it's a GPU related app." My GPU works exactly the same way, never had any issues so far, so don't worry :)

On a related note, ensure you stress test your particular card! The EVGA GTX 1080 FTW has a defect which causes it to lose display signal (black screen) and then the fans spin to 100% when you run a demanding game for 5-10 minutes; the only fix is to hard reset your computer. Myself and heaps of other people on the EVGA forums have had to return ours. I couldn't be bothered and just got a refund for mine. Switching to the MSI Armor instead.

That's exactly how they supposed to work. "Passive cooling unless it's a GPU related app." My GPU works exactly the same way, never had any issues so far, so don't worry :)

Who said I'm worried? I've been building PCs since the 90's :)... I was just helping the other user by explaining how this version of the card works. There are many different cards for the GTX series, from reference designs to custom coolers like the ones from Zotac, EVGA, etc. The EVGA one for example, has onboard sensors.

Certain coolers for the GTX1080 will always run unless you manually change it to go off during idle...

On a related note, ensure you stress test your particular card! The EVGA GTX 1080 FTW has a defect which causes it to lose display signal (black screen) and then the fans spin to 100% when you run a demanding game for 5-10 minutes; the only fix is to hard reset your computer. Myself and heaps of other people on the EVGA forums have had to return ours. I couldn't be bothered and just got a refund for mine. Switching to the MSI Armor instead.

No problems here. I've stress tested the whole computer for more than 24hrs, zero issues.

Also The Witcher 3 pushes the card to pretty much the max at it's default stock speeds.

EVGA has a great warranty so you don't have to worry about it too much.

Last edited:
At least 33. Mine is 7mb of vram. But it is pretty OK, atleast something.

Certain coolers for the GTX1080 will always run unless you manually change it to go off during idle...
I've got a Gigabyte one and the fan runs constantly in OS X even though the card isn't being used. In Windows it switches itself off correctly (and the side of the card lights up saying 'fan stop').

Ho hum, come on Nvidia. In your own time, whenever you're ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back