Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] My GPU has suddenly stopped working after I moved. Weirdest issue I've ever dealt with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Gaming 3
CPU
Intel Core i5 6600K 3.90 GHz
Graphics
NIVIDA GeForce GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm really stumped here. The story goes like this: I have a GTX 970 that has been in my computer and working great for about half a year now. However, I recently moved and left the computer together while it was in transit (didn't take any parts out).

When I got to my destination the computer would boot fine but there would be no signal whatsoever going to the monitors. I tried taking the gpu out and putting it back in, making sure it is seated correctly but to no anvil. The computer works fine and will do so off of internal graphics but even then if I boot into the system with the iGPU then the system will not detect the GPU.

The fans and lights spin up and turn on when the computer powers up, but no signal is going to the monitors.

Here and the things I know:
- The card is working as I've tested it in a friends computer.
- The PCI slot in my computer is fine because I've put my friends card (GTX 670) in my system and that boots fine and signal gets to my monitors.
- The issue is using my particular card that was working days ago in my particular system.
- Since using my friends card I can't log into my apple ID (not sure if that is related or just a network issue though)

For now my friend and I have switched cards so I can have a working system but I would very much like to get my card working as it is better ;)

I've spent the better part of 5 hours reading around online and trying various troubleshooting solutions with the components so any help with this issue would be much appreciated. I'll answer any questions I can as quick as I can.

NVIDIA WebDrivers are still in place and activated? Maybe the "nvda_drv=1" argument got removed from NVRAM when the machine was disconnected?
Yes they are still active. I also reinstalled them as well. I'm not sure about the boot argument though I'll check on that. However my friends card is a NVIDIA card and works fine so my thinking is the boot arg is fine?

Just check and I don't think I had it enabled ever. At least not since I installed with Clover. Will attempt a change.

Your friends Kepler-based GTX 670 can run on Apples own drivers, your Maxwell-based GTX 970 needs the WebDrivers.

Can you see your BIOS splash screen and the Clover boot manager, or are they also black on your 970?
When using the 970 there is no response from the monitors at all. No BIOS splash page or boot screen. If I have one monitor connected to the internal and one to the 970 then pressing del when I know the BIOS screen should be appearing will then wake that monitor connected to the iGPU and I can change settings that way. However, saving and restarting takes me back to dead monitors

Okay... Well, then it's not a OS X / Hackintosh issue. Try resetting your BIOS to default and explicitely configuering your PCIE graphics as primary. A BIOS update might help, too.
I've rest my BIOS and that hasn't fixed the issue. I tried setting it to use only the PCIE graphics and that resulted in my not being able to see anything at all and not being able to get into BIOS again (until I rest it).

I have not tried updating it so I will try that. May take some time for me to get around to it though. I will report back once I've done that though.

Thanks for the help so far!

Have you tried the card in a different slot?

A BIOS update might help, too.
Sorry for the long delay about this. I updated my BIOS yesterday and . . . no success. The card still refuses to be detected by the slot. The other card still works perfectly fine it it though.

Have you tried the card in a different slot?
I'm not able to try the card in a different slot because it will not fit in the next one. I also only have one PCI x16 slot.

I'm out of ideas after the BIOS reset :(

Forgive me for stating the obvious but you have checked/connected the power cable from the PSU haven't you ?
(Both ends if it is modular)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back