i7 7700K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Second Hackintosh build in a week, the first went without any hitches the system is running great (pictures and write-up coming). Second system (slightly different components admittedly) I'm having problems, sigh. I've tried quite a few solutions to no avail, not sure what next to try or where to look.

I've attached my EFI folder (less Themes) along with a pic of the screen showing the kernel panic. Thought it was the M.2 960 Pro, so I removed it and tried again (no change in the problem). Thought it might be USB related, I've confirmed I'm using the USB2 ports on the back (though I didn't disable the USB3 ports in BIOS - my first build I installed from the USB3 port and all was well, is that a problem?).

My first system I followed "twsps' Build" (excellent step-by-step), this time I followed again along with "Stork's Gene Build" (for the 960 Pro NVMe advice) - they're both hugely invaluable.

If someone would be kind and point me in the obvious direction I'm missing I'd be most grateful. Any questions or omissions in helping to solve the problem let me know. Many thanks in advance!

The new (problem) system is:

Asus ROG Strix Z270G
i7 7700K
32GB DDR4 3600 RAM
Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2
Intel HD 630 (no graphics card planned)

Edit: updated screen shot image to be larger than thumbnail

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I've attached my EFI folder (less Themes) along with a pic of the screen showing the kernel panic.
Picture is only a thumbnail.
Please post a new picture of your screen in readable size.

Picture is only a thumbnail.
Please post a new picture of your screen in readable size.

Apologies, didn't realise, here 'tis.

Attachments

• IMG_1149 (1).jpg
    IMG_1149 (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
I've been fiddling all day long trying to figure this out, tried a few new BIOS settings and I'm further now - it gets nearly through launching Sierra from the USB and then just stops and the screen eventually goes black. I'm now at a new roadblock and could use some expert guidance here, I've attached the latest verbose screen output and my clover config.plist and Clover folder from the USB.

One thing interesting is that I reverted back to Unibeast 7.0.1 to create the USB (which worked for me last week building my successful hackintosh without a hitch). Immediately I got further using 7.0.1 (and twsps' Build notes) than I was getting with the latest Unibeast (though this could be something else I changed and didn't realise, so please don't assume I know what I'm talking about<grin>).

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
  • CLOVER.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
A row of '+' signs is all I'm getting currently (see attached). I've disabled all USB3 ports and am using a USB2 port for install (does it matter the USB flash drive is USB3? -> I bought an 8GB USB2 drive but Unibeast refused to recognise it).

Last week's install with different hw config went beautifully. This week, no so fortunate (sigh):

Asus ROG Strix Z270G
i7 7700k
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 32GB
Samsung M.2 960 Pro 512GB
Intel HD 630

Attached is the EFI folder (less Themes), a picture of the screen when booting clover with verbose setting and the config.plist file. I created an .aml for the NVMe drive according to guide on this site (went much easier than I imagined!). All BIOS settings according to instructions from various successful builds on this site (twsps' Build and Stork's Gene build - both excellent).

I'm missing something obvious, any advice most welcome and many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1167.jpg
    IMG_1167.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 86
  • config.plist
    5.4 KB · Views: 189
config.plist is corrupt
Code:
Haswell:~ BreBo$ plutil /Users/BreBo/Downloads/config.plist
/Users/BreBo/Downloads/config.plist: Close tag on line 27 does not match open tag array

Regarding your row of '+' signs
Make sure that CsrActiveConfig is set to 0x67 not 0x03 in your config.plist.

config.plist is corrupt
Code:
Haswell:~ BreBo$ plutil /Users/BreBo/Downloads/config.plist
/Users/BreBo/Downloads/config.plist: Close tag on line 27 does not match open tag array

Regarding your row of '+' signs
Make sure that CsrActiveConfig is set to 0x67 not 0x03 in your config.plist.

Thanks much for the help, I made the change and it did nothing, same exact result: a row of '+' signs, then system locks up. What next?

EDIT: Nevermind, I noticed a "Close tag..." error in your comment and realised I'd stupidly omitted a closing </array> tag - normally so careful about that, it's loaded, any further problems I'll let you know, and again, many many thanks!!

Last edited:
SUCCESS!

After much fussing about and some perfect advice here, it's all up and running, booting from the Samsung M.2 960 Pro, all is going well.

Have a few (small) things to fix (like Audio support and Video acceleration but I've done those already on my other system, so shouldn't be too difficult). Other things like BT and Wifi are waiting till I get my NGFF adapter to go with the Wifi/BT Airport card I've already bought (supposed to arrive from Hong Kong in a few weeks). I'll do a short write-up along with my other system I built last week in the next few days so others might benefit from this.

Despite a bit of a rocky start with this system, once I was able to get past the first (and only BIG) hurdle, the rest was a breeze and this site is a great asset, many thanks it's much appreciated. Now I'm going to have to buy a mug and shirt I noticed in the store both of which I'm quite keen on. :)

SUCCESS!

After much fussing about and some perfect advice here, it's all up and running, booting from the Samsung M.2 960 Pro, all is going well.

Have a few (small) things to fix (like Audio support and Video acceleration but I've done those already on my other system, so shouldn't be too difficult). Other things like BT and Wifi are waiting till I get my NGFF adapter to go with the Wifi/BT Airport card I've already bought (supposed to arrive from Hong Kong in a few weeks). I'll do a short write-up along with my other system I built last week in the next few days so others might benefit from this.

Despite a bit of a rocky start with this system, once I was able to get past the first (and only BIG) hurdle, the rest was a breeze and this site is a great asset, many thanks it's much appreciated. Now I'm going to have to buy a mug and shirt I noticed in the store both of which I'm quite keen on. :)

Man, I dunno what you did to get this working but I'm so stuck it's kinda ridiculous.

My motherboard is the Z270F which I know others have gotten working, but I'm just getting kernel panic every time the USB boots. FakeCPUID is setup, NVME M.2 kexts seem to be all in there.

I don't suppose you've got a list of all the steps you ran through? :)

Edit: Ok, got the kernel panics fixed. Now to figure out why the installer beach balls ...

Last edited:
Man, I dunno what you did to get this working but I'm so stuck it's kinda ridiculous.

My motherboard is the Z270F which I know others have gotten working, but I'm just getting kernel panic every time the USB boots. FakeCPUID is setup, NVME M.2 kexts seem to be all in there.

I don't suppose you've got a list of all the steps you ran through? :)

Edit: Ok, got the kernel panics fixed. Now to figure out why the installer beach balls ...

Not sure this will help, but I'm attaching my working config.plist, EFI folder (less themes) and a zip of the kexts I installed to L/E (originally before install I think I had put them in Kexts/Other folder, but not all of them, sorry can't remember which originally just to get it working bare bones) - I have an SSDT.dsl in the EFI folder as well.

Attachments

• config.plist
    10.4 KB · Views: 238
  • EFI.zip
    15.4 MB · Views: 103
  • kexts.zip
    859.5 KB · Views: 76
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back